Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Slaves in America Were "Indentured Servants?" According to VA's Governor, Ralph Northam, They Were [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:
Whether or not his statement is historically accurate is kind of beside the point. This guy is clearly not good at managing his public image. He’s pretty damn good at digging a hole though.

This is the 400th anniversary of indentured servants coming to Virginia, and before slavery. What should he have said, if not the truth as he said it? Should he have assumed the ignorance of those, apparently like Big Kahuna, who immediately demonstrated their ignorance instead of looking it up, and said something about slavery that didn't pertain to said 400th anniversary?

Up until his week of reckoning he was clueless with regards to historical matters of race in his state of Va, so yes on his enlightenment, why would it not occur to him that others might also be so clueless? This man is no savvy politician and he does not exercise good judgment.
Quote Reply
Re: Slaves in America Were "Indentured Servants?" According to VA's Governor, Ralph Northam, They Were [gofigure] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah but...he went to med school, so...

Quote:
The governor, in his first TV interview since the decades-old photo came to light, said he is the best person to shepherd the state through a serious discussion about race.

“Right now, Virginia needs someone who can heal. There is no better person than a doctor,” Mr. Northam, a physician, told CBS’s “Face the Nation.”

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Re: Slaves in America Were "Indentured Servants?" According to VA's Governor, Ralph Northam, They Were [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
klehner wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:
Whether or not his statement is historically accurate is kind of beside the point. This guy is clearly not good at managing his public image. He’s pretty damn good at digging a hole though.

This is the 400th anniversary of indentured servants coming to Virginia, and before slavery. What should he have said, if not the truth as he said it? Should he have assumed the ignorance of those, apparently like Big Kahuna, who immediately demonstrated their ignorance instead of looking it up, and said something about slavery that didn't pertain to said 400th anniversary?

I'm not sure that is entirely true.

Virginia's first Africans arrived at Point Comfort, on the James River, late in August 1619. There, "20. and odd Negroes" from the English ship White Lion were sold in exchange for food and some were transported to Jamestown, where they were sold again, likely into slavery. Historians have long believed these Africans to have come to Virginia from the Caribbean, but Spanish records suggest they had been captured in a Spanish-controlled area of West Central Africa.

https://www.encyclopediavirginia.org/Virginia_s_First_Africans

They're just trying to protect Blackface Klansman, because he's got the big (D) after his name. I haven't seen anyone from his office (or him personally) rush out to 'clarify' what he said. Which, I guess, the media hallelujah chorus will soon enough classify as just more 'erroneous understanding' on the part of all of us who think the guy's an honest-to-God racist who accidentally let the racist mask slip shortly after his baby killer mask fell off, or was enthusiastically removed, take your pick.

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply

Prev Next