Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Favorite camping spots/ hacks- anything camping [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The timber line in the Whites of New Hampshire is around 4,500 ft. Less than half the altitude of the real mountain ranges.
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite camping spots/ hacks- anything camping [torrey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
torrey wrote:
The timber line in the Whites of New Hampshire is around 4,500 ft. Less than half the altitude of the real mountain ranges.
The Appalachians are actual older and were at one time larger than the Rockies. I live on ocean land that has been filled in by the erosion of the Appalachians. And yes at least in some places camping above the tree line in some parks/trails is not allowed. I suspect it is a Leave No Trace and sustainability issue given climate and number of hikers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
torrey wrote:

The highest point in Ontario is just under 2300 feet. The timber goes right to the top.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite camping spots/ hacks- anything camping [Moonrocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Moonrocket wrote:
I have booked two camp spots for weekends this summer. I am looking for new camping ideas. I have always been bare bones- but this is family car camping. So give me your best advice for fun glamping camping.

Meals, games, making a tent comfy anything.

Do you make your own fire starters if you are the backpacking type? If not, then they are easy and fun to make, and they burn a long time that makes fire-starting easy. Yet, if you're car camping, then maybe just some charcoal and lighter fluid as your starter. You don't even need kindling; just light some coals, let it be for 15 minutes, pile logs on. Burn.

Green sky laser. A laser with enough power for being able to point out stars.

Know your equipment if you're changing it up. Story time: my last camping trip. We went to Joshua Tree NP just as the shutdown was starting. We picked up my sister from LAX and went straight out there. I borrowed my friend's family pop-up trailer. I think we got the very last available spot in Indian Cove Campground where you could back-in a pop-up trailer. O-M-G. Set up fine. COLDER THAN HELL that night. I did everything I thought I could possibly do to get the heater going. Charged the battery. Flowed propane to the farthest point in the line. Checked fuses. Set the thermostat to the lowest setting. Thank goodness that we brought a bunch of blankets, sleeping bags, and warm clothes. The puppy couldn't sleep and needed some body warmth and a sleeping bag to stay warm. The next day I got the solar charger going, and thought all was good. No. I was cursing the whole fucking idea of even going camping in a pop-up trailer. Texting with my friend. Had no idea. Come to find out, the thermostat had its own on-off switch that was well hidden. My friend and his family had no idea. We slept a lot better the next 2 nights.

Each trip is different. We lost out on permits for Havasupai falls. My gf got up on-time in the morning last week to logon to get one, but they had already sold out. I'd really like to get away solo backpacking again like I did in Canada a couple years back. Next trip in 2 weekends is dudes only. I'm bringing lots of ammo and getting a new truck bed tent to try out.

Gnothi Seauton.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
This guy makes amazing videos of his camping trips. He works in Television so he knows how to make a good video.

That's glorious. Would really like to do some canoe camping some day. That's the best way for backwoods glamping! Portages though... gah.

Gnothi Seauton.
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite camping spots/ hacks- anything camping [Ready4Launch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It’s extremely difficult to glamp while doing a portage trip. I’ve tried and the portages suck.

You really need to pack light on a trip like this.

What we normally do is canoe to a site on the first lake we get to. Bring tons of shit to our site and do day trips to other lakes to fish.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
torrey wrote:
Wait is there actually some rule you can’t camp abover the timber line in the east?

You might be a western pioneer at 14,000 ft but you aren’t allowed to build a fire. Not that you would want to.

In the White Mountains National Forest you can't camp or have fire in the alpine zone (defined as where the trees are greater 8' apart). In Baxter SP, you can't back country/dispersed camp at all.
There aren't any east coast mountains south of New Hampshire that are above the tree line.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
torrey wrote:
Wait is there actually some rule you can’t camp abover the timber line in the east?

You might be a western pioneer at 14,000 ft but you aren’t allowed to build a fire. Not that you would want to.

Is there an “above the timberline” in the east?

Franconia Ridge. Big one is Lafayette (5250')
The southern most alpine/above tree line peak in the east is Mt Moosilauke (4800'), 71d north.

(there might be some in the Adirondacks, but I have no idea)

vs. above Lake Tahoe

That's about 7800'. Treeline is much higher in the Sierra, even the northern Sierra
Last edited by: scorpio516: Feb 11, 19 6:29
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite camping spots/ hacks- anything camping [scorpio516] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
scorpio516 wrote:
torrey wrote:

In the White Mountains National Forest you can't camp or have fire in the alpine zone (defined as where the trees are greater 8' apart). In Baxter SP, you can't back country/dispersed camp at all.
There aren't any east coast mountains south of New Hampshire that are above the tree line.

What’s the reasoning on that?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The general idea is that the land is too fragile, and we've spent the last 150 years fucking it up
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite camping spots/ hacks- anything camping [scorpio516] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
scorpio516 wrote:
The general idea is that the land is too fragile, and we've spent the last 150 years fucking it up

I was trying to find the rules for the White Mountains last week. Can you camp above the treeline in winter? I mean, it would be one of the most inhospitable places on the planet to camp but you would be above the treeline. :)

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite camping spots/ hacks- anything camping [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
scorpio516 wrote:

I was trying to find the rules for the White Mountains last week. Can you camp above the treeline in winter? I mean, it would be one of the most inhospitable places on the planet to camp but you would be above the treeline. :)

Actually yes! If there's 2' of snow, you can camp in the winter above the treeline* lol

https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5363715.pdf

Right now it's a balmy -5F at Mt Washington with 69mph winds (95 mph gusts). -42F wind chill

* Not in Tuckerman or Hunginton Ravines. Avalanche risk is too great there
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
scorpio516 wrote:
j p o wrote:
scorpio516 wrote:

Actually yes! If there's 2' of snow, you can camp in the winter above the treeline* lol

https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5363715.pdf

Right now it's a balmy -5F at Mt Washington with 69mph winds (95 mph gusts). -42F wind chill

* Not in Tuckerman or Hunginton Ravines. Avalanche risk is too great there

Turns out it may not be the best idea right now.

CAMPTON, N.H. – The U.S. Forest Service says police are investigating the death of a mountain climber who was hiking up a moderately difficult snowy and icy area on New Hampshire's Mount Washington, the highest peak in the Northeast.
Snow Rangers from the Mount Washington Avalanche Center responded to a report of an overdue climber on Sunday, Feb. 10. Volunteer search and rescue teams also assisted to search the terrain above Huntington Ravine.
The Forest Service said the climber was attempting to climb an area called Central Gulley. The body was found that evening, recovered from the mountain, and released to local authorities.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite camping spots/ hacks- anything camping [triguy98] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
triguy98 wrote:
Solar showers are great for sites that don't have running water (most of the time for us.)

Yes.

For many years, getting cleaned up while camping in the Smokey Mountains meant flopping around in the cold river. Then I bought a solar shower, which was the BEST!!

Until I bought a travel trailer with a real water heater - now THAT's the best.

king of the road says you move too slow
KING OF THE ROAD SAYS YOU MOVE TOO SLOW
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite camping spots/ hacks- anything camping [Moonrocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A few things that weren't mentioned (list got longer as I went)
  • Solar lanterns are great. When the kids were young, I was always worried if they got up in the night to pee they'd get lost. So we leave the lantern on in front of the tent, and since it is solar we're not worried about the battery. They are pretty cheap
  • Wet wipes are good for cleaning hands from smores and other great nasty stuff out there
  • A collapsible table is nice if you don't know they will have picnic tables available near your tent
  • Paracord for things like clothes line, and can be used to store food stuff up and away from animals
  • If it could possibly be wet, bring flip flops, crocs, or extra shoes for kids.
  • If you have a young daughter, one of the toddler collapsible potties is nice. It is basically a toilet lid with legs, but much easier than having to hold her hand to squat.
  • Make sure you've put tent together at least once before you show up at camp site
  • Playing cards, board games, are nice in the evenings. We also bring frisbees and games like ladder ball. Nice for when you're cooking and want the kids to entertain themselves.
  • I like fire starters that can burn for a bit, very helpful if anything is damp
  • Color flames are pretty cool for younger kids, they don't last long though
  • Do not bring electronics

I love camping with the kids. It is great to see them away from screens, exploring, making up games, etc. Have fun!
Quote Reply

Prev Next