Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Frodeno Kraichgau swim skin tri kit usage
Quote | Reply
Hi all,
It seems to me from the video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6_rq4TVwk4) of the event that Frodeno started the race with the full race kit under
under the swim skin but the upper part of the kit must have been 'stuffed' down into the swimskin as his shoulders are uncovered and then later you see him putting in his arms but the swim skin is still on his legs.
You also see a bit of white under the leg of the swim skin at the start which would be from the full kit.
I am just pointing it out because I would like that idea of my sleeved race kit under the swim skin without having to swim with the arms in it if you get my drift.

Cheers all.....Chris
Quote Reply
Re: Frodeno Kraichgau swim skin tri kit usage [ChDoyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thats a common thing. Don't wear on, the top part of the one piece trisuit, till the T1. But you need some practice in putiing on completly wet sleeves
Quote Reply
Re: Frodeno Kraichgau swim skin tri kit usage [Evgen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for your reply Evgen. So I guess you just stuff it down under the swim skin? Wouldn't that create all kinds of bumps and creases maybe causing chafing and reducing hydrodynamics? Maybe you stuff more of the material to your lower back rather than the sides or front.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, stuff it down under the swim skin. The swim skin is usually very tight and dense ( I had sailfish and huub swimskins) So any visible problems.

I use the same thing even in wetsuit legal races. Top inside the wetsuit. More free movement for shoulders. But I am relatively toll and skinny, and my trisuits usually quite tight by height
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Got it...thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
is this suit dependent? I always thought that if you had a sleeved suit, you would do as the OP noticed Frodo do, but I see lucy charles wearing hers all the way up with seemingly no issues.

Use this link to save $5 off your USAT membership renewal:
https://membership.usatriathlon.org/...A2-BAD7-6137B629D9B7
Quote Reply
Re: Frodeno Kraichgau swim skin tri kit usage [AlyraD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wouldnā€™t roll my tri suit under the skin. I donā€™t find it restricts my shoulders and there is a slight advantage in support during the pull phase through the shoulders. Getting a tight sleeved suit over the upper body in T1 could be an issue, even if practiced.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah. I was trying this out. Having the trikit tucked in under the swimskin.
It is a nightmare getting into a sleeved trikit when wet!
Any tips? How can you consistently get the arms in a timely way? It gets stuck the whole way upšŸ˜†

My kit even has the breakaway front so you have to connect the zipper before zipping. šŸ¤¦
Quote Reply
Re: Frodeno Kraichgau swim skin tri kit usage [mwanner13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mwanner13 wrote:
I wouldnā€™t roll my tri suit under the skin. I donā€™t find it restricts my shoulders and there is a slight advantage in support during the pull phase through the shoulders. Getting a tight sleeved suit over the upper body in T1 could be an issue, even if practiced.

What you speak is true. I DOUBLED my T1 time at ITU LD World's after a crap trying to put wet sleeves back on up over the shoulders. It was a nightmare..T2 was the same cuz had another stop. GI issues...
Quote Reply
Re: Frodeno Kraichgau swim skin tri kit usage [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looked like Frodeno was struggling a bit as well but was in slow mo in that video so hard to tell. Looked like was caught on upper arm.

When I tucked in, I did notice faster swim. I was doing sets of 500's. Otherwise I'd not even think twice.
Prob will roll with kit all the way on.
Quote Reply
Re: Frodeno Kraichgau swim skin tri kit usage [Johnnyfever] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Johnnyfever wrote:
Yeah. I was trying this out. Having the trikit tucked in under the swimskin.
It is a nightmare getting into a sleeved trikit when wet!
Any tips? How can you consistently get the arms in a timely way? It gets stuck the whole way upšŸ˜†

My kit even has the breakaway front so you have to connect the zipper before zipping. šŸ¤¦
Just put a bit of baby oil or the like on the shoulders and it slides on a lot easier. Other tip is pull the base of the sleeve into place first and then the suit over the shoulders.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had great success with rolling the top down and unrolling on the way in to T1. I think one key is getting the grippers rolled up so they don't catch on your skin as the sleeves are going up.

I don't believe there is a clear way to do it successfully. It most certainly is not easy, but can be done.

jake

Get outside!
Quote Reply
Re: Frodeno Kraichgau swim skin tri kit usage [jakers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jakers. Sounds like you have done it alot.
When you say roll it down:
-Do you actually roll it down or just stuff it down the lower back region. When I tried, the rolling got disorganized and i ended up just stuffing it down the back.
-And are the arms all the way rolled up like putting on a sock in transition?

Do you have the break away front zip like this https://www.jakroo.com/us/whistler.html
Because even tho its cool for the racing its a pain to do quickly in transition.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did it a few times in training and once in a race. It was the testing that gave me confidence.

I was using one of the Castelli Stealth trisuits. San Remo I believe.

I rolled the suit down to reduce the bulk. It wasn't super organised. Before I rolled it, I just rolled back the gripper parts of the sleeves. Realistically the less material you have to pull across wet skin the better. But I also found that if you are wet, and the suit is wet, it is far easier than the suit being dry and you being wet.

My testing was in a Swim Skin, my race was in a wetsuit. I didn't want the sleeves on my shoulders. I found it restricting in longer swims. This is something I'd suggest trying.

This worked well for me. I'm a swimmer and while a wetsuit is fine over my shoulders, I didn't want to add another layer in there. My result was fast, so I would do it again the same way.

I believe everyone will see a different result.

jake

Get outside!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, i am a swimmer also, so its the little things like the material at the shoulders that become huge annoyances when swimming. Especially, since I went a few sec faster on my last 500 when it was tucked in. But if it takes 45 sec to get the thing on in T1 then I will have to just swim with it all the way on.
Thanks for the advice!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jakers wrote:
I had great success with rolling the top down and unrolling on the way in to T1. I think one key is getting the grippers rolled up so they don't catch on your skin as the sleeves are going up.

I don't believe there is a clear way to do it successfully. It most certainly is not easy, but can be done.

jake

I've been racing with the "rolled down" style for the last 4 years. The best way to get the sleeves on quickly and easily is to use a plastic bag, put your arm inside the bag and then pull the sleeves over. A small garbage bag works well, and you just stuff it in the swimskin with everything else. I would want to avoid oil since it can get on your hands, and riding a bike with oily hands is no fun at all.

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Quote Reply
Re: Frodeno Kraichgau swim skin tri kit usage [AlyraD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
she could be getting a lot of armpit chafing. That said, even if she's not, you can't really go wrong copying Jan Frodeno.

Unless you're using a new tri suit every race, stuff the sleeves in the small of your back.

E

AlyraD wrote:
is this suit dependent? I always thought that if you had a sleeved suit, you would do as the OP noticed Frodo do, but I see lucy charles wearing hers all the way up with seemingly no issues.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

ā€œYou are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.ā€
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You need to do this a few times before you do it in a race. Trying to put on a wet tri-suit, even if its just the top part, is like wrapping yourself up in scotch tape. Its not easy and if you do it wrong your screwed.
Quote Reply
Re: Frodeno Kraichgau swim skin tri kit usage [Scottxs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh yes I saw that and have been practising, thanks.

Cheers,
Chris
Quote Reply