Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Training after food poisoning
Quote | Reply
Was surfing in the Phillipines and got a minor stomach attack. 24 hours of misery but now itā€™s two days later and I feel weak and still only liquid coming out.

I should chill right? Nothing big for a few months
Quote Reply
Re: Training after food poisoning [Animalmom2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You'll be lighter, so you'll push less weight with the same watts. Theoretically.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Let your body recover. Missing workouts is not a bad thing.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think waiting a few months sounds overly conservative.

I had a severe case of food poising earlier this month that landed me in the hospital. Wife found me passed out on the bathroom floor in a puddle of vomit.

My recovery was:
Days: 2-3 After getting home from hospital, spent about 2 days completely in bed. Barely holding down crackers and chicken broth. Drank it lots of Skratch Labs ā€œrescueā€ hydration product, a few sips ever 15 min or so.
Days 4-5: Started eating bland real foods (chicken soup, PB&J, etc). Went for a couple brisk walks each day of 15-20 min each. No training. But this is when Instarted feeling normal. Went back to work.
Days 6: Did a VERY light spin on trainer day 6
Day 7: Another light session on trainer but included a few building intervals to feel out the legs. It was something like 10 min z1 spin, five 3 min intervals building from z1 to z3 by 30 sec, 10 min cool down. I felt pretty good.
Day 8: A light pool session
Day 9: A light 30 min shakeout run with a few building intervals similar to Day 7 ride
Day 10: Back to normal training, but was cautious and took things pretty easy.
Day 14: Raced a 10K and PRed actually.
Quote Reply
Re: Training after food poisoning [wintershade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wintershade wrote:
I think waiting a few months sounds overly conservative.

I am pretty sure the OP meant no major race events for a few months, not resting for a few months
Quote Reply
Re: Training after food poisoning [g_lev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed. And to the OP, just go based on how you feel and donā€™t push it too hard. The opportunity cost of a few missed workouts is really not that big a deal
Quote Reply
Re: Training after food poisoning [g_lev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think within 3-4 weeks you should be back to normal.

Hell, I once got food poisoning the night before an Ironman. Was up all night puking. Drank an Ensure an hour before the starting gun and still finished the race, in a reasonably respectable <13 hrs, and perhaps more impressively I managed not to crap my pants despite some risky farts.
Quote Reply
Re: Training after food poisoning [wintershade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone yeah I meant I didnā€™t have any big events for a few months. my coach said take a week off

Day 3 Iā€™m starting to ā€˜dry upā€™

May spin on the bike trainer a bit tonight
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Iā€™ve been hospitalised for food poisoning once and have had campylobacter a few times since. Found that once antibiotics started to do their thing recovery was really quite quick. Just listen to your body and you might be surprised at how quick you recover.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Animalmom2 wrote:
Thanks everyone yeah I meant I didnā€™t have any big events for a few months. my coach said take a week off

Day 3 Iā€™m starting to ā€˜dry upā€™

May spin on the bike trainer a bit tonight

Sounds sensible, that way you can bail out early if you're not feeling good. My experience has always been that I can get back into training within a few days and am fully back to normal within a week.
Quote Reply