Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Recurring sinus infections [Crentist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used to suffer similar sinus infections. I have some structural nasal/sinus issues but not severe enough to justify septum surgery. My ENT prescribed a "daily" Budesonide (Pulmicort) rinse about 5 years back. Daily is in quotes because I'm realistically more 3-4 x week. I haven't had a sinus infection as long as I can remember.
Quote Reply
Re: Recurring sinus infections [chrisesposito] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chrisesposito wrote:
Interesting that you mention a CT scan. I had sinus issues for so many years that I stopped noticing that breathing through my nose wasn't generally easy; not completely impossible but just difficult enough that I had more or less just switched over to breathing through my mouth. I was diagnosed with mild sleep apnea 2-3 years ago and settled on a full (nose + mouth) mask to wear at night. I casually mentioned to my sleep medicine doctor that I really liked the mask because it allowed me to breathe through my mouth and still get the benefits of improved sleep. He looked at me with some concern and said "what do you mean you can't normally breathe through your nose? That causes several problems". A followup with an ENT doctor and a review of a years-old CT scan of my head led to nose surgery (septoplasty, significant nasal turbinate reduction, etc.) which dramatically improved my ability to breathe and in general led to a reduction in noticeable sinus infections.

Fast forward to last September. I had a fall at home that included a severe blow to my head - I was dizzy, nauseous, and bleeding out of my left ear. A trip to the ER followed immediately and it included a CT scan. No swelling or bleeding inside the skull but still a concussion and I needed 12 stitches in my left ear. The ER doctor started to ask me about sinus infections and if I had one right now. This seemed to my wife and I that it was a really random thing to be asking about; I insisted that as I had no symptoms of one (breathing freely, no coughs, no post-nasal drip, etc.) that I was sure I didn't have one. He then says "well then, there are a few things that showed up on the scan that are concerning to me". Remembering that there was an earlier scan to use as a baseline, we agree that the new scan would be sent to the ENT doc I had seen for review.

It would turn out that I had a large chronic sinus infection that I was utterly asymptomatic for. The treatment since then has been daily budenoside + saline rinse. Unfortunately a followup scan showed that it is remarkably resistant to treatment although there is some improvement.

Mine were bad, but not that bad. It did take multiple surgeries and years to get things cleared up. My ENT said the inside of my nose and my tonsils were the worst he'd ever seen though.
Quote Reply
Re: Recurring sinus infections [chrisesposito] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I appreciate all the comments on this chain. As a long-term sufferer of sinus infections (15-ish per year) and numerous antibiotics/oral steroids/drops, it was one episode after another. I've had 4 sinus surgeries and 5 in-office root-rootering from my ENT Doc. Fast forward, we finally determined the underlying issue for me was a long list of food allergies I didn't know about until getting tested, but it seemed to manifest itself in my sinuses more than anything else (along with the bloating and GI issues). My sinuses are still pretty sensitive to the slightest thing, but thanks for some of the ideas in the chain.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Crentist,

Nose plugs would be a great idea to stop any water getting up your nose. Maybe the neti pot isn't sufficient at clearing away the infections you get. I had a chronic infection through over training. I tried all the Doc prescribed meds and sprays and none of it worked. I tried the neti pot myself and it didn't shift the infection. Then my wife suggested a nasal spray that she saw on-line that had cinnamon and cumin in it. I said it sounded more like a curry which earned me a slap. Well she bought it for me (it cost a few bob) but it was money well spent and got me infection free no probs. Told the doc when I was next in and he shook his head as if to say I don't believe it. I told him maybe he should widen his horizons but he said they can't recommend these sprays as it goes against certain protocols. Fair enough!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I get sinus infections or used to get them at least once a year it seemed and required medication to clear it up... I started using a sinus rinse after open water swims in particular and my infections have gone to only one every couple of years. I seldom use it with my pool swims as the water there doesn't seem to create much issue for me.

It's pretty simple, mix up some warm'sh water with a packet of the salt, shoot it in one nostril and it comes out the other side... repeat for the other side.

https://www.amazon.com/...mplete/dp/B000RDZFZ0
Quote Reply
Re: Recurring sinus infections [xeon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
xeon wrote:
I get sinus infections or used to get them at least once a year it seemed and required medication to clear it up... I started using a sinus rinse after open water swims in particular and my infections have gone to only one every couple of years. I seldom use it with my pool swims as the water there doesn't seem to create much issue for me.

It's pretty simple, mix up some warm'sh water with a packet of the salt, shoot it in one nostril and it comes out the other side... repeat for the other side.

https://www.amazon.com/...mplete/dp/B000RDZFZ0

I do this after every OWS and pool swim. Works. Only comment is I use distilled water, not tap.
Quote Reply

Prev Next