Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Trump's tax returns - Ways and Means Committee to obtain them? [patf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you feel so strongly about this, why don't you write your congress person/senator and get them to pass a law requiring tax returns be filed.

Well, I am a tax accountant and belong to an organization that does exactly that. We are working to ensure all public officials release their tax returns to ensure there are no conflicts of interest when they assume office.

Or you could just not vote for people who won't release theirs. How about you do that.

Well, that would be the case with Trump except he said he would release his tax returns and then people like you decide not to hold him accountable, if he's on the right team, of course.
Quote Reply
Re: Trump's tax returns - Ways and Means Committee to obtain them? [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
If you feel so strongly about this, why don't you write your congress person/senator and get them to pass a law requiring tax returns be filed.

Well, I am a tax accountant and belong to an organization that does exactly that. We are working to ensure all public officials release their tax returns to ensure there are no conflicts of interest when they assume office.

Or you could just not vote for people who won't release theirs. How about you do that.

Well, that would be the case with Trump except he said he would release his tax returns and then people like you decide not to hold him accountable, if he's on the right team, of course.

So you are contacting your US Rep and Senator and trying to change US laws. You're as bad as the Russians trying to affect US politics.

You used to be an interesting read before Trump took office. Now you are just boring.
Quote Reply
Re: Trump's tax returns - Ways and Means Committee to obtain them? [patf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So you are contacting your US Rep and Senator and trying to change US laws. You're as bad as the Russians trying to affect US politics.

I'm a member of the Canadian tax foundation and joined a committee that works with our parliament to change the laws, trying to get our members of parliament to disclose their tax returns before taking office. Not sure how that makes me worse than the Russians but okay.

You used to be an interesting read before Trump took office. Now you are just boring.

Huh?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
patf wrote:
Sanuk wrote:

Well that took a turn I wasnt expecting. Having a bad day?
Quote Reply
Re: Trump's tax returns - Ways and Means Committee to obtain them? [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:

I'm a member of the Canadian tax foundation and joined a committee that works with our parliament to change the laws, trying to get our members of parliament to disclose their tax returns before taking office. Not sure how that makes me worse than the Russians but okay.

Huh?

I thought you would get my point when I said congress person and senator. You are a Canadian, you have no say in our laws. You don't get a voice in our laws.

As for the comment about your posts, you always had a lot of interesting things to say in the past, but lately all you do is post in the Trump threads.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:

Huh?

You had a lot of interesting things to say before Trump took office. I remember those old posts. There were a lot of interesting reads. Now it seems like we only hear from you when you have something critical to say about Trump. Some of us are wondering where those old bits of wisdom went.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Trump's tax returns - Ways and Means Committee to obtain them? [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
Sanuk wrote:

Huh?

You had a lot of interesting things to say before Trump took office. I remember those old posts. There were a lot of interesting reads. Now it seems like we only hear from you when you have something critical to say about Trump. Some of us are wondering where those old bits of wisdom went.
Could be said about a lot of people on both sides. Call it the Trump Effect.

Among others, I remember when Jim@LOTO posted some good info about the old Silverman Tri. (Folks like Sanuk seems pretty balanced in comparison.)

But we're stuck with Trump for at last two more years. Could be a long two years.

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:

Oh a lobbyist...oh dios mio get over your damn self.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As for the comment about your posts, you always had a lot of interesting things to say in the past, but lately all you do is post in the Trump threads.

You're right. It's probably best for me to walk away from ST for a while.
Quote Reply
Re: Trump's tax returns - Ways and Means Committee to obtain them? [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Not really a lobbyist, it's just a group that gets together once a year and we work on trying to ensure public officials don't have conflicts of interest. It's the first time anyone ever said that's a bad thing.

Just remember, things work both ways so after 2020, if a Democrat becomes President and enters politics with lots of money and businesses around the world, and then refuses to put his assets in a blind trust or disclose his business connections, that you will be fine with that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:

Not really a lobbyist, it's just a group that gets together once a year and we work on trying to ensure public officials don't have conflicts of interest. It's the first time anyone ever said that's a bad thing.

Just remember, things work both ways so after 2020, if a Democrat becomes President and enters politics with lots of money and businesses around the world, and then refuses to put his assets in a blind trust or disclose his business connections, that you will be fine with that.

As I recall someone else saying... Most in here think Trump should release his tax returns. I don't recall one person saying he shouldn't. We are arguing that he is not obligated to publicly release them. Just as the next elected Pres will not be obligated. Most us would say the same thing.. That person should release them but are under no obligation to do so.
Quote Reply
Re: Trump's tax returns - Ways and Means Committee to obtain them? [orphious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
orphious wrote:
Sanuk wrote:

As I recall someone else saying... Most in here think Trump should release his tax returns. I don't recall one person saying he shouldn't. We are arguing that he is not obligated to publicly release them. Just as the next elected Pres will not be obligated. Most us would say the same thing.. That person should release them but are under no obligation to do so.

Do you think Congress should do its oversight role to ensure our president has no conflicts of interest?
Quote Reply
Re: Trump's tax returns - Ways and Means Committee to obtain them? [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
orphious wrote:
Sanuk wrote:

Do you think Congress should do its oversight role to ensure our president has no conflicts of interest?

Of course. But that has nothing to do with releasing tax returns publicly.
Quote Reply
Re: Trump's tax returns - Ways and Means Committee to obtain them? [orphious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
orphious wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:
orphious wrote:
Sanuk wrote:

I've never argued they should be released publicly. I just want to know that Congress is satisfied that our president is acting in the best interests of the country, not himself. The evidence gives us pause to wonder. And Congress shouldn't hope Mueller will do their job for them. There may be legal conflicts of interest that Mueller has no interest in for his investigation.
Quote Reply
Re: Trump's tax returns - Ways and Means Committee to obtain them? [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
orphious wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:
orphious wrote:
Sanuk wrote:

I've never argued they should be released publicly. I just want to know that Congress is satisfied that our president is acting in the best interests of the country, not himself. The evidence gives us pause to wonder. And Congress shouldn't hope Mueller will do their job for them. There may be legal conflicts of interest that Mueller has no interest in for his investigation.

Then if Congress needs them to do their job then they can certainly supena (sp) them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
orphious wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:
orphious wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:
orphious wrote:
Sanuk wrote:

Then if Congress needs them to do their job then they can certainly supena (sp) them.

We'll see. Mnuchin has said the Treasury will furnish Congress with any requests for taxpayer information. But then there could be a legal challenge from Trump, with him arguing that it is being done purely for political means, at which point presumably it would be decided by a judge. So it may come down to how well Congress could argue there are grounds for the request. From the outside there do seem to have been a number of events that suggest Trump may not be acting in the best interests of Americans, so there may be a case.

This article lays out fairly well where we are today.

https://www.nytimes.com/...ump-tax-returns.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Behind a paywall.. can't read. :o)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
orphious wrote:
Behind a paywall.. can't read. :o)

Right click and choose "Open in private window" or copy/paste into a private window.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow! can't believe I didn't know this trick before!!! Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
orphious wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:
orphious wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:
orphious wrote:
Sanuk wrote:

We'll see. Mnuchin has said the Treasury will furnish Congress with any requests for taxpayer information. But then there could be a legal challenge from Trump, with him arguing that it is being done purely for political means, at which point presumably it would be decided by a judge. So it may come down to how well Congress could argue there are grounds for the request. From the outside there do seem to have been a number of events that suggest Trump may not be acting in the best interests of Americans, so there may be a case.

This article lays out fairly well where we are today.

https://www.nytimes.com/...ump-tax-returns.html

See now this is what gives me pause about his tax returns. From the article you posted:

Quote:
“Overwhelmingly, the public wants to see the president’s tax returns,” said Speaker Nancy Pelosi of California. “They want to know the truth. They want to know the facts. And he has nothing to hide.”

and

Quote:
The provision allows the committee to review the tax information privately, but it would have to vote to disclose any return information or findings to the public.

Quote:
There is scant precedent for its use to investigate an individual, much less someone of Mr. Trump’s stature. That and an all but certain legal challenge from the administration will most likely leave the outcome to the federal courts.

Seems to me they are more interested in smearing Trump than investigating him
Quote Reply
Re: Trump's tax returns - Ways and Means Committee to obtain them? [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
There has to be a reason why ol' Bonespurs is the only president in history hiding his tax returns. Damn right I'm curious to find out why.

Because he isn't as wealthy as he claims to be. There, now you know. How does that impact his ability to be President?

That is what I think that too, as do a lot of journalists. I have read things like, "if he really is a Billionaire," slipped into Op-Eds for no apparent reason. I wouldn't be surprised if he is effectively broke other than his name (which is worth a lot more than I'll ever have!).
Quote Reply
Re: Trump's tax returns - Ways and Means Committee to obtain them? [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
JSA wrote:
There has to be a reason why ol' Bonespurs is the only president in history hiding his tax returns. Damn right I'm curious to find out why.

Because he isn't as wealthy as he claims to be. There, now you know. How does that impact his ability to be President?

That is what I think that too, as do a lot of journalists. I have read things like, "if he really is a Billionaire," slipped into Op-Eds for no apparent reason. I wouldn't be surprised if he is effectively broke other than his name (which is worth a lot more than I'll ever have!).

well, other than a bunch of xenophobic fear mongering, his "successful business man" pitch was the only other semi-solid argument in his favor. I'd assume quite a lot rides on the question of whether he's actually successful or not. For the record, I don't believe he is - not in the sense that his portrays anyway. He's ruthlessly effective at self-promotion - and that's it.
Quote Reply

Prev Next