Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How about some triathlon fit advice for folks on road bikes?
Quote | Reply
Maybe my searches have just missed it, but all the bike fit and 'new tech' articles I've seen here seem to assume everyone's on a tri bike. There's a whole world of ITU, Super League, junior/national development programs, and draft-legal age-group racing... would love to see some love for helping with fit issues for triathletes in the context of a road bike. I'm an avid triathlete, but haven't ridden my tri bike in ages (I've really taken a liking to draft-legal sprint format). Glad to see some gravel bike info, but I have yet to find a gravel tri anywhere near me - that's a way more obscure format than tri racing on a road bike.
Quote Reply
Re: How about some triathlon fit advice for folks on road bikes? [surroundhound] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You still fit it just like a road bike. Then figure out a way to put shorty bars on without compromising hip angle and with enough length to be comfortable.
For some riders this means high stack shorty bars, although that has not been regarded as cool on ITU bikes.
Other times low stack works best - like this https://www.instagram.com/p/BtNDEK4Dm8i/
(I don't know if you can see insta pics of someone you don't follow, I'm not good with social)

Really short flat clipon bars that put the hands lower than the elbows tend to be terrible for comfort and aero, so don't do that.

Draft legal AG racing isn't allowed aerobars if it's under ITU
Quote Reply
Re: How about some triathlon fit advice for folks on road bikes? [surroundhound] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dan has written on the subject in relation to both why the Brownless never used clip aeros and how Gwen Jorgenson's position evolved with experience.

The take home message is that you want a really good road bike fit no difference from a crit racer. The rules regarding shorty aero bars makes them a non-ideal solution and you can only use them for a fraction of a given race.

I get the sense this is less of a problem for very small athletes like Flora Duffy because those athletes are already being forced onto bikes that are too big for them. If you look at Duffy's position on the bike through the years it appears she has always struggled to get road bikes that get her low enough and so aero bars work well. If I remember correctly Gwen Jorgenson, who is a tall athlete, stated she used clips more because she always had rather because they were a good fit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
get used to folding yourself over the hoods, and build your front end to match. Stem length, stem angle, stem "slammedness".

Unless you're a super good swimmer, then you'll be in the pack and can ride however you like ;)

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you looking for straight up road bike fit (which is what I think you're looking for) or road bike fit with aerobars for no draft triathlon?
Last edited by: jaretj: Feb 8, 19 3:03
Quote Reply
Re: How about some triathlon fit advice for folks on road bikes? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Could this help or maybe drive the conversation?
Quote Reply
Re: How about some triathlon fit advice for folks on road bikes? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Since I do some of my racing in ITU draft-legal format, I can't use even short aerobars (as an age-grouper). I mean, I guess I could take them on and off depending on the race, but I'm too lazy and would rather just optimize my fit with the assumption that I'll be either in the drops or on the hoods. As it happens, I'm actually going this evening to confirm my fit after getting a new saddle and new bars installed... might post a pic for kicks.

I thought talking road bikes in the context of tri might prompt some interesting discussion - for example, I originally had an Adamo Podium on my road bike, because I liked it so much on my tri bike. The fit guy at the LBS (where I got the bike originally... I have a different fitter now) was kind of at a loss, because even with that saddle moved all the way back on the rails I was still sitting quite a bit forward from where you'd expect on that bike. Other things... from a race perspective, I need to be able to put out maximum power and stay as aero as possible (because I'm a shite swimmer and may or may not make it into the main pack), but I only have to hold it for 40 minutes or so. Also, a number of my courses are quite technical, with sharp punchy climbs and multiple 180-degree turns. Would that cause a fitter to make different decisions than they would for someone going 180km in a mainly straight line.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For setup on my road bike, i set myself up as powerful and aero as i can.

On a trainer i find a saddle fore/aft position to maximize the power I'm able to put out. I then adjust the front end to get my length right. Right for me is it's getting my hip angle near 90 degrees and arms at a comfortable reach.

My road bike position Is very similar to my tri position but my seat is 4cm behind my tri bike (so even with the BB) and the hoods are about 3/4" higher than the horns.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Little video clip from this evening.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BtpIUU9FGtS/

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It looks good in the drops. Do you feel more powerful while on the hoods or in the drops?

Something is telling me you'll like the drops better.

Edit: I forgot the link earlier
https://www.slowtwitch.com/..._Bike_Fit/index.html
Last edited by: jaretj: Feb 8, 19 20:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's one on the hoods.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TY7sJVAMywKzqhVDHbchUzgctJtYByGX/view?usp=sharing

Both feel good, I switch it up while riding... I do try to stay in the drops as much as possible while racing, figuring it to be more aero.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your position on the hoods looks good too. I like the short drop bars, I use them on my road bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you could do little better on the hoods... like this but with hands on hoods instead of invisible aero bars.

You'll need to build your bike around that position... proper stem angle and length. Of course Fabian is on the right sized bike, the other two are on bikes one or two sizes too small. Especially for a rolleur like Martin.

surroundhound wrote:
Here's one on the hoods.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TY7sJVAMywKzqhVDHbchUzgctJtYByGX/view?usp=sharing

Both feel good, I switch it up while riding... I do try to stay in the drops as much as possible while racing, figuring it to be more aero.

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: How about some triathlon fit advice for folks on road bikes? [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would think that those positions are unrealistic for the OP.
Quote Reply
Re: How about some triathlon fit advice for folks on road bikes? [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for the examples, Eric. I wonder, looking at my hoods video, if I could achieve something close by simply bending more at the waist so my forearms are more horizontal? I might need a shorter stem to get closer to what you showed... we actually had a shorter stem on, and swapped it for this longer one as I felt a bit squished. Maybe I should reconsider. I've got a bit of a weird 'long torso, short arms' morphology going on, but I'm definitely open to playing with options to get an optimal end result.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No you definitely don’t want a shorter stem

Quote Reply