Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Which wheels to keep, and which to sell, for Trek SC?
Quote | Reply
I’m heading to a swap meet this weekend and looking for opinions on which of the following wheelsets to keep and which to sell. My goal is to get some cash, and keep a decent set for training and racing. I’ll be doing sprints and Olympic distance this season….and these days compete mostly for fun rather than podium places and likely back to IM distance next year.

Set 1: Dura-Ace 9000 c50 clincher (set) +
Shimano Pro clincher disc (for races)

Set 2: Enve 8.9 clincher DT 240 hubs

Set 3: Bontrager Aeolus 5 d3 carbon (2014)

I’m leaning toward the Dura Ace c50 for training and racing and keeping the disc for races.

I like the aluminum braking surface of the c50s and could use the Pro disc if conditions warrant. I’d also like to maximize cash and figure it may be better to sell the Enves and Bontrager this year as disc brakes are becoming more popular.

So really, I’m weighing if the Enve’s or Bontragers are that much better/ faster than the C50 and C50 disc combo where it’s worth keeping one of them.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.
Quote Reply
Re: Which wheels to keep, and which to sell, for Trek SC? [system7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A big consideration is rim width.

Between Set 1 and 2, Shimano has rim width of just under 23mm. Enve is 26/24, front back. Depends on what kind of tire you want to run.
Quote Reply
Re: Which wheels to keep, and which to sell, for Trek SC? [system7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd sell all of them and go with a HED Jet6+ (about $1100 from mybikeshop with free tires, tubes, cassette, and wheel bag) and slap a disc cover on it. It's a set you can train and race on, with or without a disc, aluminum brake track and a 21 mm wide internal with ability to go tubeless if you want.
Quote Reply