Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: All right, how do older folks train in the morning? [GiantNewb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GiantNewb wrote:
Tom Hampton. Wow. I was told Slowtwitch was a supportive place. You're cyberbullying someone you don't know, whose body, level of fitness, and history you don't know. If I followed your advice, I'd wind up with quadriceps tendonitis and shoulder impingement in a day. Two, tops. I've been working steadily for years with a few doctors, therapists, and trainers to overcome a few niggles and I need to be careful.

For everyone else, here's a morning after report: I took the combined advice of the hivemind and made a few changes both last night and tonight. I made sure I was drinking enough water later in the day, I stretched more than usual at night, and avoided sitting too much. Felt much better this morning, and used the morning coffee time (usually spent in partial stupor, again sitting) to walk around, loosen up, do both static and dynamic stretching, whatever felt good. I felt way better. Much better. I think that I can play around with a few of your ideas and see what works for me. In the meantime, thanks for all the advice!

Who told you that lie?! ST is where you come to learn a great deal about the sport but often only after wading through piles of crap. If you think telling someone to HTFU is "cyberbullying" then you might need a flak jacket for some other threads. Meanwhile, welcome to the forum.
Quote Reply
Re: All right, how do older folks train in the morning? [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Its ok. She's new here...something that I didn't notice, but should have.

Given that, I should have (perhaps) tempered my attempt at good natured ribbing. Or, at least, have been a little more overt about it.
Quote Reply
Re: All right, how do older folks train in the morning? [BingTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm 63. I don't eat before exercising. Water & electrolyte and go if workout is only for an hour or less. Regular back routine is important. Count on some bad days.
Quote Reply
Re: All right, how do older folks train in the morning? [BingTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
S. L. O. W. L. Y
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BingTri wrote:
I'm not that old, only around 40. But I'm trying to figure out morning workouts and I just can't seem to overcome morning stiffness without an hour of static stretching beforehand. That makes the whole morning too long to make it realistic to get to work on time. I know that current understanding of stretching has it that static stretches are detrimental before a workout, but after I wake up in the morning, my lower half is tight tight tight. I need rolling, plus hamstring, quad, and hip stretching, otherwise I'm just not loose enough for a decent workout. Morning or evening. I tried dynamic stretches and eventually went back to long, static, delicious stretching. This morning, I tried to cut it short by doing a quick rolly olly and then just short static stretches. I got to the gym and attempted lunges, but felt so stiff that I spent my 45 mins... stretching.

What do the old, stiff people of slowtwitch do to loosen up? Any hacks out there? Do I just need to add an hour of daily stretches as a midlife necessity?

Have you tried stretching before bed?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
51 here. I think it's all about literally warming the muscles. That's why some people swear by hot showers. Coffee doesn't hurt, either. For me, I start morning runs with a very slow jog, like 12' pace (vs long-race paces in the 7's), or even a few minutes of walking before the slow jog. Over the course of a mile the muscles start to warm up. It does take longer to warm up as you get older, but yes, the extreme stiffness you're describing sounds like you're overdoing something, or under-doing rest/recovery.

I don't like static stretching of a cold muscle, but a dynamic stretch/mobility routine or yoga can help warm up muscles. I find the slow jog to be much quicker. After 10 minutes of a slow jog, you're warm, and you're already outside running, so it removes the inertia of getting out of the door.

<The Dew Abides>
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’d stop the stretching, rolling etc., and just warm up slowly for 10 minutes or so, longer if you’re doing Intensity training. The hot shower idea is good, too.
Your muscle is meat, it does not want to stretch or roll. There are those, myself included, that feel that stretching is only necessary to prevent cramping. Everything you do has consequences.
Your core/strength/ stability training should include mobility training. That means putting the joints through normal ranges of motion in different planes. You don’t need extreme ranges of motion.
Chances are you’ll feel a lot better.

Dr Jay
http://www.Tri-Pod.net
Last edited by: aikiman44: Mar 30, 20 17:53
Quote Reply
Re: All right, how do older folks train in the morning? [aikiman44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey y'all, thanks for reviving this thread. I've been doing this for a whole year now, so my body has just acclimated to working out at this intensity. I think I just needed that.

PS-I know the discourse surrounding static stretching, dynamic stretching, warming up, etc. I'm on team stretching. I wouldn't stretch intensely or for a long time before a workout, but lighter static stretching is good for me, followed by some dynamic stretching with full range of movement. Everyone's different, though.

Formerly GiantNewb, but not such a newb anymore.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m not quite old yet ... but I find just getting out and moving loosens me up real quick

I don’t feel perfect when I get out of bed, but 2-3 mins of turning my legs over, I’m in good shape.
Quote Reply
Re: All right, how do older folks train in the morning? [mvenneta] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mvenneta wrote:
I’m not quite old yet ... but I find just getting out and moving loosens me up real quick

I don’t feel perfect when I get out of bed, but 2-3 mins of turning my legs over, I’m in good shape.

What’s not quite old?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm 74 and no longer run. I get up, do 30 pushups, walk the dog, do another 30 pushups and then either ride or row for 90+ minutes. I've come to accept that the first 15 - 20 minutes will be slower although the perceived effort is the same as later when the quality is higher.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BingTri wrote:
Hey y'all, thanks for reviving this thread. I've been doing this for a whole year now, so my body has just acclimated to working out at this intensity. I think I just needed that.

PS-I know the discourse surrounding static stretching, dynamic stretching, warming up, etc. I'm on team stretching. I wouldn't stretch intensely or for a long time before a workout, but lighter static stretching is good for me, followed by some dynamic stretching with full range of movement. Everyone's different, though.

Yes, in the year since my first post in this thread, I have re-adopted a fuller stretching program before running

And my disclaimer still stands, in that "For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert"

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pushing 54 here. I pretty much wake up around 5:30 and Im out the door running in 20:00.
Shave, brush my teeth, change clothes and out the door. I don't eat before, never have.
Its always worked for me.
Quote Reply
Re: All right, how do older folks train in the morning? [Dudaddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haven't gone back and read all the replies from last year, but don't older folks naturally get up earlier? I'm in my 50s and couldn't sleep past 5:30 if you paid me too.

For warming up, isn't static stretching counterproductive? Just start moving. Didn't think anyone did static stretching anymore, especially not before warming up. But maybe that's what the thread has been about.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The best thing I’ve done for morning stiffness after a normal day or taking a 10 hour flight is Yoga on Sufferfest. I do it daily in the early evening. In the morning I spend about 10 minutes doing the moves where the body was most tight in the session the night before. I also do core work 3-4 days a week and two strength sessions.

It seems like a lot but I’ll share this story. Today while walking the dog I came upon a long time friend in this sport. He’s 4-5 years older then me. I invited him on my run today knowing full well he’d decline. It always goes something like this. He says “Why are you still running” I reply “Because I can” He says “I would rather run than do anything else but I can’t run anymore”

Dave Jewell
Free Run Speed

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BingTri wrote:
I'm not that old, only around 40. But I'm trying to figure out morning workouts and I just can't seem to overcome morning stiffness without an hour of static stretching beforehand. That makes the whole morning too long to make it realistic to get to work on time. I know that current understanding of stretching has it that static stretches are detrimental before a workout, but after I wake up in the morning, my lower half is tight tight tight. I need rolling, plus hamstring, quad, and hip stretching, otherwise I'm just not loose enough for a decent workout. Morning or evening. I tried dynamic stretches and eventually went back to long, static, delicious stretching. This morning, I tried to cut it short by doing a quick rolly olly and then just short static stretches. I got to the gym and attempted lunges, but felt so stiff that I spent my 45 mins... stretching.

What do the old, stiff people of slowtwitch do to loosen up? Any hacks out there? Do I just need to add an hour of daily stretches as a midlife necessity?

I'm 43 and get tight and sore all the time...

1st 8 to 10 min is pretty much a slow warm up then things loosen and I am able to get good work in. There is a mental component also... When getting out of bed your body is telling you no, but just have to move...
Quote Reply
Re: All right, how do older folks train in the morning? [morpheus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have to get up to go to the bathroom. Can't get back to sleep so I go train. As I'm retired, I can take a nap.

While working and with five kids, my workout was the only time of the day I had to myself. Highly motivated to wake up at 4am so workout would be done by 6 or 7am.

Indoor Triathlete - I thought I was right, until I realized I was wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: All right, how do older folks train in the morning? [HardlyTrying] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HardlyTrying wrote:
Haven't gone back and read all the replies from last year, but don't older folks naturally get up earlier? I'm in my 50s and couldn't sleep past 5:30 if you paid me too.

For warming up, isn't static stretching counterproductive? Just start moving. Didn't think anyone did static stretching anymore, especially not before warming up. But maybe that's what the thread has been about.

I'm 62 and have to drag my carcass out of bed if it's before 8am. I can't wait until I retire in a few years and sleep until I feel like getting out of bed ... which is probably going to be more like 9am each day.
Quote Reply
Re: All right, how do older folks train in the morning? [HardlyTrying] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HardlyTrying wrote:

I thought they met at The Old Country Buffet at 5am every morning
Quote Reply

Prev Next