Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Best Bargain Bike Trainer
Quote | Reply
I'm looking for a solid bike trainer but don't want to invest in a KICKR at this point. I used Kinetic fluid trainer a few years ago and that seemed to work pretty well. It looks like those go for about $270 now. That is an option but wanted to see if anyone had any other recommendations that I should consider.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Bargain Bike Trainer [tojunialto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can probably get a used Kinetic fluid trainer on craigslist for 100-150 bucks if you want to go that route. I got a very lightly used one in the fall for 100. With smart trainers being so hot right now a lot of people are upgrading.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Bargain Bike Trainer [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In these days, Facebook marketplace is the place to buy stuff. Search!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
my CycleOps Fluid2 has been great. I picked it up second hand but basically unused for about $180. I've seen them even cheaper on facebook groups and craigslist.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Bargain Bike Trainer [MBaier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
x2 on a used kurt kinetic fluid trainer. I bought one off eBay 6 years ago for $200. I used that thing almost daily.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are looking for cheap then your local craigslist or bike swap will be your best bet. Cycleops Fluid2 can be had for $100 or so used or Kurt Kinetics for about $150 or less if you're lucky.

Or find somebody with a used wheel on smart trainer for sale that upgraded to a direct drive. Probably you can score some of those for less than $400 (CycleOps Magnus, Kickr Snap or other brands).

My best bargain trainer was a CycleOps Fluid2 (gen 1) for $65 and 2nd best bargain (when that 1st Fluid2 started leaking) was a gen 2 Fluid2 for $90. Both local with the 1st a craigslist find and the 2nd a swap meet closing within an hour best offer. (heck I even sold my Fluid2's locally for $125 and $110 after replacing the leaky one with a new resistance unit)

I'm currently on a Elite Direto though and love the direct drive much more over a wheel on though (but found a bargain on those using online coupons and rewards sites for extra $ off).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
x2 on Craigslist and Facebook.

Just replaced my $20 Cycleops/Trek Fluid 2 Craigslist find with an $80 Kurt Kinetic Road Machine from FB. Added an Inride 3, et voila!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm with everyone else - look local & used. Buy a fluid trainer and spin your cares away.
Last edited by: edbikebabe: Feb 7, 19 11:11
Quote Reply
Re: Best Bargain Bike Trainer [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been very happy with my Elite Qubo Power Fluid trainer. It's been a dependable zero-problem workhorse for the last three years. Currently just over $200 on Wiggle / CRC. No bells or whistles, just good old-fashioned hard work!
Alternatively, the CycleOps basic fluid trainer looks like another solid but cheap option:

-----
http://www.howesgreg.com
Last edited by: BungleJapan: Feb 6, 19 23:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Huge +1 for the Kirt Kinetic. Their virtual power works great and is pretty accurate compared to a real PM. I had a KK Road Machine for several thousand indoor miles. I got it used for $150. They are bomb-proof, and I loved it. It is smooth and easy. I upgraded to a KICKR for all of its real power and smart goodness. But, I have 0 complaints from my KKRM experience.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m using the Kurt kinetic rock n roll with the inride 2 sensor on zwift. Found it for $150 on Craigslist and can’t see any reason to upgrade. It works well, however, the cadence sensor on the inride sensor is garbage. I’ve got my wahoo blue tracking my cadence.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Bargain Bike Trainer [Parkland] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Parkland wrote:
The cadence sensor on the inride sensor is garbage.
Ditto this. On one hand, I thought it was somewhat magical that the InRide sensor could discern pedal cadence from small RPM variations or pulses at the rear wheel. But, it was not as good as a true cadence sensor.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I second the people who say go with a used KK.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Bargain Bike Trainer [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where are you? I have a KK fluid trainer I've used probably <10 times (actually) that's just sitting in a box in my room.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Bargain Bike Trainer [bryguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You might want to reply to the OP. I’m “good” on trainers :p
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you're looking for used, I've been lucky enough to find two computrainer locally for $150 each. Both were late model Labs and one was even complete with all of the sensors and cables. The second one I just had to buy the FTDI usb cable and was ready to go.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone, I will look for a used Kinetic or CycleOps on Craigslist. I am also considering a refurb 2014 KICKR that is on the Wahoo website for $649. More than I wanted to spend but it certainly sounds like no one has regretted trading up to the KICKR.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Bargain Bike Trainer [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
You might want to reply to the OP. I’m “good” on trainers :p

Ha yeah sorry, I was just replying to the last post. Meant for the OP.
Quote Reply