Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help with Saddle Upgrade on Felt B14
Quote | Reply
Recently purchased a Felt B14 that I feel really good on other than the saddle. Seems like a very common pain point on these and the first upgrade most make.

I know saddles are very personal, but I really don't know where to start and my LBS really only sells ISM which is a style that doesn't agree with me. I find myself gravitating towards Selle SLRs based on what I see/hear as I tend to prefer a more road-like feel, but have yet to sit on one and would like to narrow down since they have such a wide assortment.

For more context, I currently ride a Selle Italia Max SLR Flow on my road bike and love it even when in my clip on aeros (maybe I should try this on the Felt). I'm 6' (183cm) and 152 lb (69 kg) so don't need a lot of width/padding. Mostly sprint and OLY with a very occasional 70.3.
Quote Reply
Re: Help with Saddle Upgrade on Felt B14 [dmagic17] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a Dash saddle on my tri and road bike. There isn't much padding on them and it can take a little time to adjust to that. The price for their 'stock' saddles is in line with most other saddles - I have the strike on my road bike and stage on my tri bike, and like them both.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Re: Help with Saddle Upgrade on Felt B14 [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks - Those still look a little wide up front though not a much as an ISM
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you spent time on an ISM in the past?
I would suggest it's possible they don't work for you, but equally or more likely is that you haven't tried one for long enough. I just thought I'd point this out in case you dismiss them too quickly! Some people seem to be okay right away but I wasn't. However once I'd given them a chance they were far better than anything I'd tried before in an aero position, and I'm still using them on the tri bike, although I use a Specialized Romin Evo on the Road bike.

I found it took about 3 weeks of discomfort before the ISM Breakaway test saddle I borrowed suddenly became incredibly comfortable. I found the same thing several months later when, after going back to my conventional saddle for a season, I decided to go with an ISM Attack. These saddles support you quite differently and as such your existing saddle adaptation doesn't carry over in my experience. That doesn't make them bad saddles, just different. Don't forget, a conventional saddle hurts too, if you're not used to it. We've probably all forgotten that since most of us haven't entirely stopped riding for a long period and then resumed suddenly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would suggest trying a Fizik Mistica Large (65mm).

If not that then ISM PN 3.0

Eric

dmagic17 wrote:
Recently purchased a Felt B14 that I feel really good on other than the saddle. Seems like a very common pain point on these and the first upgrade most make.

I know saddles are very personal, but I really don't know where to start and my LBS really only sells ISM which is a style that doesn't agree with me. I find myself gravitating towards Selle SLRs based on what I see/hear as I tend to prefer a more road-like feel, but have yet to sit on one and would like to narrow down since they have such a wide assortment.

For more context, I currently ride a Selle Italia Max SLR Flow on my road bike and love it even when in my clip on aeros (maybe I should try this on the Felt). I'm 6' (183cm) and 152 lb (69 kg) so don't need a lot of width/padding. Mostly sprint and OLY with a very occasional 70.3.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Help with Saddle Upgrade on Felt B14 [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:

Eric

dmagic17 wrote:

eric: curious why you recommend the large vs. regular in the mistica. i have been looking into the mistica but cant decide on size so would be interested in your thinking.
Quote Reply
Re: Help with Saddle Upgrade on Felt B14 [favata1213] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
favata1213 wrote:
ericMPro wrote:

Eric

dmagic17 wrote:

eric: curious why you recommend the large vs. regular in the mistica. i have been looking into the mistica but cant decide on size so would be interested in your thinking.

Because you sit off the end of the Mistica with pelvis rotated forward... the wider the saddle the more there is to hang off of. It’s not going to be “too wide”

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply