Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Dedicated bike GPS/computer
Quote | Reply
I've always been a watch only guy, the simplicity of one device is great for me. However, I was wondering what are the advantes to having a dedicated device for your bike? Somewhere along the lines of a Wahoo Element or Garmin Edge. Lets through Bryton in there for sh@ts and giggles.

Also, I do not have a power meter. Plan on getting one but not today, and tomorrow ain't looking good either lol. (or even this year for that matter)

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Last edited by: Jloewe: Feb 5, 19 11:23
Quote Reply
Re: Dedicated bike GPS/computer [Jloewe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jloewe wrote:
I've always been a watch only guy, the simplicity of one device is great for me. However, I was wondering what are the advantes to having a dedicated device for your bike? Somewhere along the lines of a Wahoo Element or Garmin Edge. Lets through Bryton in there for sh@ts and giggles.

Also, I do not have a power meter. Plan on getting one but not today, and tomorrow ain't looking good either lol. (or even this year for that matter)

The only reason I've ever wanted a dedicated bike head unit is for Varia RADAR support. I don't have the RADAR, but I want one....and the 920XT doesn't give you the graphical rear SA picture like the head units do. I could get a dedicated Varia head unit, but that seems wasteful also....so, I still have nothing.

Other than that, I'm a watch only guy.

Another use case might be to have bike specific (power, cadence, etc) data diaplayed on the head unit, and "other" data on the watch.
Quote Reply
Re: Dedicated bike GPS/computer [Jloewe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bought my Elemnt after I got lost on a ride away from my usual stomping grounds. The stress caused by my fast draining phone battery made me decide to get something I could load a route on, that would give me cues, and that could re-route when necessary.

When I started using it I found out that the improved ergonomics (buttons you can actually press when riding, displays you can read) are nice as well.

Citizen of the world, former drunkard. Resident Traumatic Brain Injury advocate.
Quote Reply
Re: Dedicated bike GPS/computer [Richard Blaine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use an older Garmin edge.

1) While riding i can instantly see stuff like cadence, speed, distance, heart rate, whatever without having to move my hands.
2) I live in a densely populated area with a lot of traffic and with the garmin i can see crossings and stuff like that ahead on the map, even when i'm at the back of the bunch during group rides.
3) When i'm travelling i use it as a navigation tool. I install maps of the country i'm in and plan a couple routes ahead of time. That way i don't have to mind where i'm going that much and i won't get lost.

You can live without one i guess. I allready had one before i got the watch. Still use it though because of the reasons i mentioned.
Quote Reply