Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Mary Poppins Blackface Racist? [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
How in the world was that sweater greenlit by Gucci?

here's a guess -- Alexander McQueen did this "look" some years ago. The sweater could be a homage -- or it's just flippin racist

Last edited by: kiki: Feb 7, 19 5:31
Quote Reply
Re: Mary Poppins Blackface Racist? [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:

If you read the article the soot on her face isn't really the issue, pretending it is is a weak refutation of PC.

Who cares? How old is this movie?

If they did this shit in the new Mary Poppins movie then come talk to me. But crying that a movie from the 1960s is racist is fucking stupid.

Holy shit, I used the N word all the time when I was a kid and I was born in the 70s.

Eenie meenie miny moe, catch a n*****r by the toe.

Would I say that now? No, I wouldn't. But when I was a kid it was just something you said.

I’m calling your employer. You need to be destroyed.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
What is the point of pointing out racism from old movies? Yeah, people did and said things back then that are now considered unacceptable. This isn't news.

Because finding examples of current racism is a very difficult task.

Those that benefit from the idea that we live in a racist society need to have something to point at to justify their jobs.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Mary Poppins Blackface Racist? [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:

Recently my son said that rhyme and used the word Tiger. I laughed. My wife asked what was funny and I just said, that's not how I learned it.

BLeP Jr: "How did you learn it?"

BLeP: "Nevermind"

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Mary Poppins Blackface Racist? [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I grew up similar to BleP. My family was pretty racist, to the point that when I had black friends in High School they weren't allowed to the house.

That’s pretty fucked up.

My next neighbors growing up were black and I played/hung out with the two boys from that family all throughout my childhood.

There was never an issue of having them in our house (or vice versa).

I didn’t even know that black people were “bad” until one of my cousins was visiting us and gave a hard time for being friends with “n!ggers”.

Quote:
Not sure why this stuff sets some people off and not others.

Speaking for myself here...

1. I’m just sick of hearing about how “racist” this country is. It isn’t anymore racist than any other country (less than most actually) and we have made great strides in that department. People who are actually racist today are universally shunned.

The US fought a war in which 500,000 people died to, in part, end slavery.

2. It’s being used to enrich race hustlers and to justify blatant racism against whites and Asians.

3. It’s largely a bunch of bullshit.

Quote:
They take a class on cultural competency, etc. and for whatever reason it seems to really set some of them off.

Probably because that what they’re being “taught” in those classes is complete bullshit propaganda and they can see right through it.

- Chinese proverb
Last edited by: Duffy: Feb 7, 19 7:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
Duffy wrote:

Recently my son said that rhyme and used the word Tiger. I laughed. My wife asked what was funny and I just said, that's not how I learned it.

What did you call Brazil nuts?

Somehow they came up at some point when my best friends and his family were around. And somebody said something about Brazil nuts, and he slyly said that's not what we called them when I was a kid and I knew exactly what he was talking about even though I probably hadn't thought about it in 30+ years.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
Quote:
I grew up similar to BleP. My family was pretty racist, to the point that when I had black friends in High School they weren't allowed to the house.

That’s pretty fucked up.

And we were just your sort of lower-middle class family, it wasn't like there was any ideology behind it, just sort of the racist cultural inertia of the south. Which still exists with some of them today.

My brother is dating a woman who is half Indian and has a daughter who's father is from somewhere in the Middle East and they are allowed in the house, so things have improved maybe.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
BLeP wrote:
Duffy wrote:

Somehow they came up at some point when my best friends and his family were around. And somebody said something about Brazil nuts, and he slyly said that's not what we called them when I was a kid and I knew exactly what he was talking about even though I probably hadn't thought about it in 30+ years.

Many moons ago when I was a young Marine, our group of buddies included a black dude who relished in making "whitey" uncomfortable, just to entertain himself. One Christmas in the chow hall there was a big bowl of various unshelled nuts in the chow line. When he stepped up to get a scoop he asked the lady serving, "what are those big brown ones called?" The look of horror on her face was priceless, she looked around and without looking directly at him said, "Brazil nuts". Without missing a beat he said, "no they're not! they're called n* toes!!!!" Then, "I hate those things" and walked off. I'm pretty sure she needed a cigarette break after that. As the rest of us stood shaking our heads empathetically.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
Duffy wrote:

We always said tiger.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
BLeP wrote:
Duffy wrote:

We always said tiger.

We also said Tiger, but knew the original version as well. That's northern ID for you, well rounded kids in the 70's.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:

My dad grew up using a different name for black-eyed susans, too.

◼︎ We shall soon be in a world in which a man may be howled down for saying that two and two make four, in which people will persecute the heresy of calling a triangle a three-sided figure, and hang a man for maddening a mob with the news that grass is green. - Chesterton
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
BLeP wrote:
Duffy wrote:

My father had the foresight to tell me both versions and the appropriate substitute names. I grew up in rural whiteyville. He grew up in south Chicago.
Quote Reply
Re: Mary Poppins Blackface Racist? [TMI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TMI wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:

OK, I found this, which has a whole list, https://www.the-scientist.com/...l-nomenclature-60358

But I can't for the life of me figure out what offensive name you can use for black eyed susans. Does it come from rap? Bitch Deserved It's?

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Mary Poppins Blackface Racist? [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
TMI wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:

OK, I found this, which has a whole list, https://www.the-scientist.com/...l-nomenclature-60358

But I can't for the life of me figure out what offensive name you can use for black eyed susans. Does it come from rap? Bitch Deserved It's?

I ended up at he same place trying to figure out what black eyed susans were called!
Quote Reply
Re: Mary Poppins Blackface Racist? [patf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
patf wrote:
Saw on the news that various people are calling Mary Poppins use of blackface is racists.

https://www.nytimes.com/...turns-blackface.html

Is this even blackface? I thought it was soot from being a chimney sweep.

Yeah, I think the writer overreached on this one. Had a bunch of white people said, "hey, let's paint our faces black and pretend to be Africans!" then yes, that would have been racist. But here, it's a bunch of chimney sweeps for whom having a black face is an every day occurrence. It's just an accurate costume.

The issue that the writer latched onto is that some of the characters (the Admiral and, I think , Poppins herself), observe in the movie that the chimney sweeps looked like Africans (and used a period-correct derogatory term when making the observation). The word used is one of those words that we just don't even hear while watching the movie because we have no idea what it means (our brain just passes over it and doesn't give it a thought), but, basically, it's an early version of The N Word. (The Admiral says (paraphrased), "We're being attacked by a bunch of ___________s!" and Poppins observes that when she dons her chimney sweep ash she looks like a _________.)

I don't recall what the word is, exactly, but *that's* the issue that's been raised.

War is god
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
Sorry, meant to say the phrase used for brazil nuts was the same as for the black-eyed susans.

◼︎ We shall soon be in a world in which a man may be howled down for saying that two and two make four, in which people will persecute the heresy of calling a triangle a three-sided figure, and hang a man for maddening a mob with the news that grass is green. - Chesterton
Quote Reply
Re: Mary Poppins Blackface Racist? [kiki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Now the singer Katy Perry is in trouble because the shoes she 'designed' are racist.

They are definitely ugly. But the whole racist thing is way out of control.

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Re: Mary Poppins Blackface Racist? [Guffaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Guffaw wrote:
Now the singer Katy Perry is in trouble because the shoes she 'designed' are racist.

The problem is out of control accounts for probably well less than 1% of people, it’s just a few get on social media and rant.
Quote Reply
Re: Mary Poppins Blackface Racist? [Guffaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Guffaw wrote:

They're hideous. And then there's this to match from Moncler:

Quote Reply
Re: Mary Poppins Blackface Racist? [kiki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kiki wrote:
Guffaw wrote:

They're hideous. And then there's this to match from Moncler:

Are those last ones black face or the poop emoji? Or is the poop emoji now black face?

Or am I the poop emoji?

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We are all poop emoji đź’©
Quote Reply

Prev Next