Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How Long does Golden Cheetah take to open for you?
Quote | Reply
I've recently taken up learning GC, and dutifully loaded 14 years of bike and run data into my record. Now that I have some files in there, the program takes a long time to load (its an Acer laptop, year old, not sure of processor).

For those with this kind of file volume, how long does your program normally take to come up? Seconds? Minutes? Step away and stretch / rehydrate while it loads?
Quote Reply
Re: How Long does Golden Cheetah take to open for you? [davetallo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
7 seconds on a 2018 Macbook Pro, but i only have 3 years of data loaded.
Quote Reply
Re: How Long does Golden Cheetah take to open for you? [davetallo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have six years of workouts and it loads in less than a minute in my laptop. Sounds like you have an issue. I’d suggest posting in the GC Google group, they are a friendly and helpful bunch.

Sr. Salitre
Quote Reply
Re: How Long does Golden Cheetah take to open for you? [SrSalitre] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mine GC is pretty slow go open, but I'm on a weird machine - Win 8.1 and about 5 years old - but with a 1 Tb Samsung SSD. Nearly everything is pretty snappy, but GC takes ages to open...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have 6 years of data, opens with in seconds on a Macbook Pro.

Couple things to try;

- One, make sure you run back ups.
- Make sure your not searching for new FIT files out on the web at start. The best way I have found is to use Taprik to put FIT files on my computer, then loads those at start up if needed.
- Make sure you have seasons set up in the log under trends. It won't try to do any calculating at start up besides recent data.
- Once you have seasons set up, you have a file or two or more that has some funny data in it. I have found multisport files are not well liked with in GC and gives it a good kick in the rear.

Check out the Google group. Some others may have more ideas.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
davetallo wrote:
I've recently taken up learning GC, and dutifully loaded 14 years of bike and run data into my record. Now that I have some files in there, the program takes a long time to load (its an Acer laptop, year old, not sure of processor).

For those with this kind of file volume, how long does your program normally take to come up? Seconds? Minutes? Step away and stretch / rehydrate while it loads?

GoldenCheetah will load data into memory at startup, this include metrics, metadata and annual MMP (but not ride sample data). This enables this info to be shown and plotted very quickly once the application has launched. When you launch a new release for the first time it will also recalculate metrics and possibly MMP for all rides - this can take a few minutes.

The overall performance gain once the application is launched is worth the wait, believe me. If launch is taking more than 20-30 seconds then perhaps you have little free memory or a very slow hard disk. I would recommend a PC with at least 4GB ram as a base, anything less than this will struggle.

The only other option is to reduce the amount of data and split into separate athletes with perhaps 5 years of history each.

Mark
Last edited by: liversedge: Feb 4, 19 23:36
Quote Reply
Re: How Long does Golden Cheetah take to open for you? [liversedge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Mark for the amazing program. And your and others’ replies.
Quote Reply