Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

NSAID, swelling and recovery
Quote | Reply
I was having a discussion with my doctor. I complained a little about plantar fasciitis and general soreness from aging and training.

He had previously prescribed a statin (which I wasn’t taking) to treat my bad colesterol (which was only borderline high and good colesterol was very high). I mentioned I was taking small amounts of aspirin instead.

The end result was prescription for Meloxicam.

The Meloxicam has worked to reduce my general soreness from training and the plantar fasciitis has gone away.

Questions:
1) What is the role of swelling in recovery?
It seems that unnecessary swelling (with tendinitis or arthritis) is completely bad.
But some swelling is a natural part of the recovery process.
2) How does one differentiate between normal swelling and unhealthy swelling?
3) There is an argument that NSAIDs ease pain, ease swelling but slow the body’s ability to recover?
Anyone have any experience?
4) I am sure this is not “doping.” But does anyone feel it violates the spirit of no doping?
Last edited by: Velocibuddha: Feb 4, 19 13:02
Quote Reply
Re: NSAID, swelling and recovery [Velocibuddha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm on indomethacin, but try not to take it. That's just another of the high-strength NSAIDs like Meloxicam. All of these work by inhibiting prostaglandin formation. So what I found for indomethacin would apply in general to other NSAIDs I believe.

This has the following consequences, last time I looked - representative citations, all of which can be multiplied by a few clicks in pubmed -

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7837949
"These results suggest that with sustained exercise indomethacin can compromise renal function and potentiate the risk of developing acute renal failure."
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/504466
finds "significant inhibition of free water clearance"
that is, hyponatremia risk is raised. This is similar to other NSAIDs so not surprising, but the risks appear higher.

http://cardiovascres.oxfordjournals.org/content/24/9/733.abstract
"The inhibition by indomethacin of the endurance exercise training induced potentiation of the coronary fluid flow response to hypoxia"
That is, it will reduce or nullify the effectiveness of training on the heart. Since the heart is just another muscle, this effect will probably extend to all muscular blood flow adaptations to exercise. Expect reduced performance.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21030675
"intake of NSAID decreased interstitial PGE(2) and abolished the exercise induced adaptive increase in collagen synthesis in human tendons."
Translated: higher risk of tendon injury.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21224324
"OBJECTIVE:
To analyse the available evidence on cardiovascular safety of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs.
DESIGN:
Network meta-analysis.
CONCLUSIONS:
Although uncertainty remains, little evidence exists to suggest that any of the investigated drugs are safe in cardiovascular terms."
Increased rate of heart attacks, stroke, etc etc.

Specifically for asthma,
http://erj.ersjournals.com/content/7/12/2174.full.pdf
"Indomethacin had no significant effect on EIA after Ch1, but reduced "percent protection" for both warm-humid (from 67 to 16%) and thermoneutral (from 70 to 26%) conditions.
The significance of the effect of indomethacin on refractoriness may best be illustrated by one subject, (subject 1) who was unable to complete the second exercise bout.."
Translated: a warmup before exercise to reduce EIA (exercise-induced asthma) symptoms will probably not work when taking indomethacin.

So - taking one of these, is basically the opposite of doping ;-)
Your conscience is clear..

It's hard to separate the effects of taking the indomethacin from the effects of aging, either of these is a kind of kryptonite..

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Velocibuddha wrote:

Questions:
1) What is the role of swelling in recovery?
It seems that unnecessary swelling (with tendinitis or arthritis) is completely bad.
But some swelling is a natural part of the recovery process.
2) How does one differentiate between normal swelling and unhealthy swelling?
3) There is an argument that NSAIDs ease pain, ease swelling but slow the body’s ability to recover?
Anyone have any experience?
4) I am sure this is not “doping.” But does anyone feel it violates the spirit of no doping?

I'm not a doctor, so I can't answer many of your questions directly. I can only answer in relation to how I manage it myself.

#2, my own approach is that if its pain, I don't train. Also, if its in a tendon or a ligament, I don't train. If I need a drug to control it (and enable exercise) I don't train. What that really means, is that the only thing I will train through is some diffuse muscle soreness or fatigue. But, if the muscle sorness is acute-pain, no dice---rest.

I've done everything else---trained through it, taken drugs to control it, etc. All of those have ALWAYS let to protracted bouts of overuse injuries.

I don't know that I ever get noticable swelling with normal training. I'm sure there is some muscular edema as part of the soreness that follows a significant training event. But, I've never had visually noticable swelling that wan't accompanied by acute pain---which would limit exercise per the above.

#3 I will take NSAIDs and/or analgesics for pain. But, I try to limit the dose, and the total number of doses that I need. In general, I try and limit that to 1-3 days...and then see if I can manage without it. I've read similar things about NSAIDs slowing the healing process (by limiting good inflamation). I don't know if this is entirely true, but I take the take-what-you-need-but-less-is-better approach.

I've tried the "don't take anything" approach, as well. I didn't find that worked well. My own experience was that the first 24-48 hours seemed to be the risk for pain and swelling to exacerbate the injury process. EG, the pain might cause overcompensation, leading to either further injury, or an alternate injury. Or the swelling might result in a lump in a tendon or ligament which then increases the mechanical injury process. Or the pain might cause muscle spasms in the muscles surrounding the injury site (a frequent reason that backs are so problematic).

So, in those situations, I will take whatever it takes to control the pain, and limit the liklihood of the pain itself causing further protracted healing. But, as soon as I can get off it, I do...either by tapering the dosage down...or just stopping depending on how much I'm taking.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What do you mean by swelling?

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Quote Reply
Re: NSAID, swelling and recovery [DrTriKat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just be happy your plantar fasciitis has gone away. It’s been kicking my ass for 1.5 years.

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Re: NSAID, swelling and recovery [DrTriKat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DrTriKat wrote:
What do you mean by swelling?

I am not extremely knowledgeable about physiology.
Swelling:
1) Tendonitis, I think, is unnecessary swelling of the tendon.
2) Arthritis is swelling (of things?) in joints.
3) My whole body will swell sometimes in the summer the day after hard training efforts in high heat. I can put up to 20 lbs of water weight on.
4) Muscles swell when they are torn in small (or large amounts) during training.
5) Muscles swell when injured in an accident.

I think that swelling: 1), 2), 3) are bad.
Swelling 4) is good
Swelling 5) is painful

I am not sure if I have arthritis but since I have been taking Meloxicam I feel much better after hard workouts (especially running). Also my PF has gone away (that could just be rolling, stetching and cooler weather).
But I am worried that I will not see as much positive physical improvements from training either.
Quote Reply