Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How long do bib shorts last?
Quote | Reply
On average how long do you expect a quality bib short will last? How many miles before the pad is toast?
Quote Reply
Re: How long do bib shorts last? [mwanner13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shorts go see through way before the pad will wear out. The only question is how long it takees before your riding buddies tell you that they can see your arsecrack through the shorts.
Quote Reply
Re: How long do bib shorts last? [Duncan74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So how many miles approximately?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ever set wear different... most 1-2 seasons but some can last a lot longer.. i have a few going on 5 and still solid. buy good quaility
Last edited by: Trimeon: Feb 3, 19 18:45
Quote Reply
Re: How long do bib shorts last? [Trimeon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m using Pactimo Ascents. I’m at about 5,000 miles for two sets I’ve been rotating or 2,500 miles per. Pad felt great on the trainer this fall. I’ve noticed them being much less comfortable recently. I’m wondering if the stationary position on the trainer has had an effect?

Trimeon wrote:
ever set wear different... most 1-2 seasons but some can last a lot longer.. i have a few going on 5 and still solid. buy good quaility
Last edited by: mwanner13: Feb 3, 19 19:02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good bibs will last a long time, especially if you have several sets and rotate them. I have some 5+ (maybe 8?)year old Pactimo (original Summit or Raptor, can't remember) with more than 5,000 mile on them. Maybe 10,000? I've gotten similar mileage for DeSoto 400 mile bibs. I've not owned Assos or Rapha bibs, but have owned most of the other popular choices. For me, Pactimo (less so the Ascents) and DeSoto are by far the best.

edited to fix my horrible sentence construction and typing
Last edited by: FatandSlow: Feb 4, 19 13:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For me it's washes not miles. Couple of years commuting every day rotating 2-3 sets.

Then I'm still using some semi see through on the trainer for 2 hour rides without any less comfort than newer ones.

I ride about 15k km a year outside and on trainer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't know exactly the miles, but I have about 8 pairs of shorts that I rotate pretty much equally, they are Castelli, Rapha, or Assos. They've all lasted longer than 5 years (I ride 5-6k miles each year, and I almost always wash it after each ride in a little mesh baggie that came with Assos).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mwanner13 wrote:
So how many miles approximately?

I would suggest there's no useful answer to that question.
Have you considered how many variables will have a major bearing on this?
Here's some to get you started:
  • Exact make/model of shorts
  • Are you using them on tri bike, road bike, or both. And if both, in what proportions?
  • What's your position like?
  • What saddle do you use. What's the angle like, do you sit forward or back or shuffle around much?
  • How exactly do they fit? How they rub on your skin will undoubtedly vary dramatically on exactly how they fit you and since no-one's the same shape, this isn't something you can generalise. Hell, they'll even fit the same person slightly differently as they gain lose weight/muscle/hydration....
  • How much do you sweat?
  • Are you hairy?
  • Do you shave? (I would think occasional shaving is more abrasive than not shaving)
  • Do you use chamois cream? What type, how much and where?
  • Do you wear shorts under tights in winter?
  • Do you use a trainer?
  • Do you wear the same shorts outdoors and on the trainer?
  • Is your trainer rigidly fixed in position or on a rocker board or similar?
  • What sort of riding do you do? Sprints? Climbing? Descending on the top tube?
  • Do you wear them much when not cycling, perhaps under other pants while driving to your start point? Or while stopping for a coffee on a group ride?
  • Do they often get covered in road grit/mud/sand/salt, while riding?
  • How do you wash them? Machine/by hand? Temperature? With lots of other stuff, on their own, in a bag?
  • How do you dry them? Tumble drier, outdoor clothes line (UV?), hang indoors?

All of these things will make a difference and I'm sure there are more I haven't thought of.
It's simply not a useful question IMO.
Last edited by: Ai_1: Feb 4, 19 3:07
Quote Reply
Re: How long do bib shorts last? [Trimeon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trimeon wrote:

Seasons is not an informative measure.

Usage ("miles") plus washes (and machine drying if you do that) is more meaningful.

http://www.jt10000.com/
Last edited by: jt10000: Feb 4, 19 4:14
Quote Reply
Re: How long do bib shorts last? [jt10000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jt10000 wrote:
Trimeon wrote:

Seasons is not an informative measure.

Usage ("miles") plus washes (and machine drying if you do that) is more meaningful.

Yes cause people track the number of miles and washes of their bib shorts...
Quote Reply
Re: How long do bib shorts last? [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grant.Reuter wrote:

Yes cause people track the number of miles and washes of their bib shorts...

This is slowtwitch. There will be some that do.
Quote Reply
Re: How long do bib shorts last? [Duncan74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Desoto 400 milers on year 6 for me
Quote Reply