Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Awful grinding noise Dura Ace 9100 Series [titemple652] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you tried a different brand 11 speed chain yet? If not maybe try one (or maybe ditch the Shimano quick link for a different brand one like SRAM, Wipperman Connex or KMC).

While I'm not using the latest gen cassettes I'm currently running a Wipperman 11SO and a SRAM Red22 chains on my bikes with no issues with 6800 cassettes (and worked perfectly fine on a 5800 too). The Wipperman quick links are considered the best out there by many and I even bought an extra to use with my Red22 chain instead because it is reusable along with not requiring tools for removal (still use one when I have access but in a pinch this can be very helpful).
Last edited by: loxx0050: Feb 6, 19 6:48
Quote Reply
Re: Awful grinding noise Dura Ace 9100 Series [loxx0050] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great idea about trying a diff brand chain. The only issues I am experiencing are with Dura Ace 9100 cassettes and Ultegra 8000 cassettes. Seems like they changed the shape of the teeth and maybe spacing to optimize for discs. I read that somewhere...
Quote Reply
Re: Awful grinding noise Dura Ace 9100 Series [Avoneer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is an Ultegra level chain.

Edit... I didn't realize that the current Dura-Ace and Ultegra chains have the same HG-X11 markings on them.
Last edited by: jimatbeyond: Feb 6, 19 9:01
Quote Reply
Re: Awful grinding noise Dura Ace 9100 Series [Avoneer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Avoneer wrote:
SummitAK wrote:
Avoneer wrote:
Hi,

My advice would be to buy a Dura-Ace chain.

Pat.

See the OP's third sentence.

Who then says it's a HGX11 which is not a Dura-Ace chain!

Nope. The HG-X11 designation isn’t the part number for the chain. It is the Shimano designation for their latest series road chains. The DA version and Ultegra version carry this same naming convention and then 900 and 700 series part numbers as in the past series. OP said DuraAce chain. So unless otherwise stated, he is using CN-HG901-11. He does mention trying his older DA901 chain too.

https://bike.shimano.com/...t/duraace-r9100.html
Quote Reply
Re: Awful grinding noise Dura Ace 9100 Series [BrianJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am having the same problem with 9100 crankset. I had 9000 on and it's fine. I keep swapping the two and everytime I have the 9100 crankset on, the grinding vibration would travel to my music earbuds. The RD and FD are 8050 and chain are not worn and they are DA chain for 11 speed. All components stay the same and no grind noise on 9000 crankset.
It does help a little if I do not tighten the crank arm fixing bolt as much.
Did you ended up finding a solution for it?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you hear is sitting and standing?

#######
My Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi, I am having a similar issue with my cassette from the 4largest cogs. Did anyone ever get a fix?
Quote Reply
Re: Awful grinding noise Dura Ace 9100 Series [loxx0050] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you use wax based lube?

I use molten speed wax and I found that when I ride over a little dirty area or if it has rained, my drivetrain makes an awful grinding noise. It goes away momentarily when I switch gear and comes back within a few revolutions of the crank.
It usually does go away as I ride though. Can't be great for the drivetrain I suppose but I'm so happy with wax based otherwise that I've learned to live with it.
Quote Reply
Re: Awful grinding noise Dura Ace 9100 Series [g.e.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dose not seem to be wax/lube related. It’s really loud when putting power through or when climbing. Then will randomly disappear and then come back again. It’s driving me nuts... people riding with me yesterday saying what’s wrong with your bike...
Quote Reply
Re: Awful grinding noise Dura Ace 9100 Series [KevinSLR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KevinSLR wrote:
Dose not seem to be wax/lube related. It’s really loud when putting power through or when climbing. Then will randomly disappear and then come back again. It’s driving me nuts... people riding with me yesterday saying what’s wrong with your bike...
Exact same though. When I'm pushing higher watts on a climb I hear it. Then it goes away after a while climb or no climb.
It only happens to me on iffy weather / sand dirt situations.
It never happened before on other lubes.
It also never happened in dry weather.

So it's not so much wax lube but wax lube in bad conditions for me. I might be wrong but have proven 3-4 times now since it started raining here in Bay Area.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe that’s it, there was a lot of grime on the roads and salt/grit due to freezing weather. Maybe that’s something to do with it.
I just sounds so terrible like bearings being mashed... bike is only a couple of months old
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
KevinSLR wrote:
Maybe that’s it, there was a lot of grime on the roads and salt/grit due to freezing weather. Maybe that’s something to do with it.
I just sounds so terrible like bearings being mashed... bike is only a couple of months old
Yep. "Crap, my BB bearings are shot" was the first thing that I thought but it was just the chain. It even felt grimey to touch but thankfully wax does a good job of keeping that stuff out of the rollers. Once dry, I imagine they just flicker off the chain and it's back to quiet again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Strange thing is it only happens on the 4 largest cogs though...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is your clearance from FD cage to large ring appropriate and is the cage parallel to the big ring?

I had this issue earlier in the season and it was the big ring hitting the cage in certain situations....ugh.....I had the cage too tight to the big ring which was more noticeable in certain "trim" positions.

24 Hour World TT Champs-American record holder
Fat Bike Worlds - Race Director
Insta: chris.s.apex
Quote Reply
Re: Awful grinding noise Dura Ace 9100 Series [cmscat50] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the reply, FD looks fine, have had it back to the shop to double check. Definitely coming from the rear wheel. Will drop it back in later in the week and get them to check free hub etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your chain is too long.

In the last four (largest) cogs of your Cassette, the upper pulley is rubbing the Cassette because the chain has too much slack.
Remove a link pair from your chain and try it again.

I had this problem with my DA 9100 groupset because I like to Keep my chains one link longer than recommended. The noise did not bother me at first but I got tired of it. So I cut my chain by a link and voila - noise and rubbing disappeared.

Let me know if that works for you.

.........................__0.............0
...................._.-\ <,_.........</\_
.....~_.o^,....(...)./.(...)......._/\...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My issue was solved, it was a completely worn chain ring.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for coming back.

LBS has regreased my free hub so I think that has sorted it. Hope to get a good spin tomorrow to test it out. Will post back the results đź‘Ť
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
KevinSLR wrote:
Thanks for coming back.

LBS has regreased my free hub so I think that has sorted it. Hope to get a good spin tomorrow to test it out. Will post back the results đź‘Ť

Still not sorted this noise out.. trying a new cassette tomorrow to see if that works. If not it must be the wheel.
Quote Reply

Prev Next