Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What wheels/rims are optimized for a 28mm tire
Quote | Reply
I know ENVE states their AR 4.5 matches great from an aero standpoint with a 28mm tire. Any other wheels fit this bill?

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: What wheels/rims are optimized for a 28mm tire [Pun_Times] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pun_Times wrote:
I know ENVE states their AR 4.5 matches great from an aero standpoint with a 28mm tire. Any other wheels fit this bill?

Zipp 303 NSW Disc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Venn Var 77 filament wound carbon rims/wheels. 30 mm external width.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pun_Times wrote:

I'm always left wondering if they are referring to tire size or mounted width. I believe specialized is the only manufacture that bases their width on modern inner rim widths, i.e. wider than 15mm. Not sure what size they use as the CLX are ~21, their 321 is 19mm, and i'm sure if I kept looking around their ROVAL wheel lineup I'd find others. Anyhow, the point is everyone knows tires' true size changes depending on the inner width of the rim they're mounted on and the AR 4.5 is pretty damn wide at 25mm hookless. For comparison my Eastons are 19mm internal and schwalbe Pro One sized 25 measures over 28mm. Take that same Schwalbe in a 28 a mount it on that Enve and I bet we're looking at something way north of 30mm. I try to keep my tires width under the maximum width of the rim and outside of C'dale's Knot deal is there anything pushing 32mm external that isn't a disc?

Back to tire sizing, are most manufactures using 15mm internal to size their tires or are they just going with whatever they fancy? Because that will play a huge role in what tires one chooses to slap on their wide wheels if they want to stay aero.....that being said, imo, aero and 28mm tire should not be used in the same sentence.

My YouTubes

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Curious why you want a 28mm tire?

Usually people pick an aero / fast tire and wheel combination vs starting purely with a tire dimension.

Also the same width tire measures differently on different rims.

Is it for a mixed surface race or something?
Quote Reply
Re: What wheels/rims are optimized for a 28mm tire [endosch2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes. The plan is for my next bike build is to be mixed surface and I was tentatively thinking of running the conti GP 5000 in 28 mm as that would be the sweet spot for the routes I do. I’ve got some conti 4000s II in 25mm on her Belgium (not plus) rims that measure 27mm that don’t quite cut it. I thinking the conti 5000 on a wheel meant for larger tires could be what I’m looking for. Unfortunately Enve is saying ‘no’ for the Conti 5000 for now until they finish testing. So I’m just wondering what else is out there. Anything by Roval, Boyd, Zipp, Hunt, etc

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pun_Times wrote:
Yes. The plan is for my next bike build is to be mixed surface and I was tentatively thinking of running the conti GP 5000 in 28 mm as that would be the sweet spot for the routes I do. I’ve got some conti 4000s II in 25mm on her Belgium (not plus) rims that measure 27mm that don’t quite cut it. I thinking the conti 5000 on a wheel meant for larger tires could be what I’m looking for. Unfortunately Enve is saying ‘no’ for the Conti 5000 for now until they finish testing. So I’m just wondering what else is out there. Anything by Roval, Boyd, Zipp, Hunt, etc

not only is Enve saying no... but Conti is saying NO on ALL hookless

Quote Reply
Re: What wheels/rims are optimized for a 28mm tire [spntrxi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, kind of a shame as it takes out some good wheels. The Enve AR 4.5 and Boyd Pinnacle both are out of the picture then. The latter looks kinda nice. 1560g, 36mm deep, 29mm outer and 23.4mm inner width for $1650.

Though Boyd’s 36mm road wheelset looks almost exactly the same as the Pinnacle - the only difference is it’s hooked and the inner width is 22mm. So that would still work with the conti 5000 tubeless and presumably have a great profile with a 28mm tire.

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
our Vanquish do well with a labeled 28 GP4000.
There are drag charts with 23/25/28 labeled tires on the website.
https://store.hedcycling.com/vanquish/

Andy Tetmeyer (I work at HED)

Quote Reply
Re: What wheels/rims are optimized for a 28mm tire [Chemist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone have experience with Hunt Limitless 48 disc? Appear to be competitors to Enve's 4.5 AR, but cheaper, and claimed less drag at or above yaw angles of 3-4 degrees.

LBS says issue is you can't run normal pressures on the AR/Limitless type wheels, and websites confirm max 70PSI or so for 28mm tires. Any thoughts on performance issues as a result of running lower pressure on these rims? Most tests seem to show a few watts increase in rolling resisstance for a drop from something normal like 90 PSI to 70 PSI.

CG
Quote Reply
Re: What wheels/rims are optimized for a 28mm tire [CeeGee90] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CeeGee90 wrote:
Anyone have experience with Hunt Limitless 48 disc? Appear to be competitors to Enve's 4.5 AR, but cheaper, and claimed less drag at or above yaw angles of 3-4 degrees.

LBS says issue is you can't run normal pressures on the AR/Limitless type wheels, and websites confirm max 70PSI or so for 28mm tires. Any thoughts on performance issues as a result of running lower pressure on these rims? Most tests seem to show a few watts increase in rolling resisstance for a drop from something normal like 90 PSI to 70 PSI.

I don't think those are shipping yet (website seems to indicate the first batch is going out in September).

I'm interested in their shallower alloy version as an all road wheel ( https://www.huntbikewheels.cc/...o-wide-disc-wheelset ) at about a third the price. Those ones also are speced to go up to 100psi with 28mm tires and drop to 70 for 30mm. Thinking about pre-ordering and figuring out a good gravel tire to throw on the DT Swiss E 1800s that came on my Endurace (both are 20mm internal width, but figure that the DT Swiss ones are less aero optimized)
Quote Reply
Re: What wheels/rims are optimized for a 28mm tire [andrewjshults] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm waiting on a set of those Hunt Limitless wheels which should arrive in a few weeks and really interested in trying them out. On the website it looks like for 25-28mm tires max pressure is 100psi so I think you should be fine with running standard tire pressures.

I liked the idea of trying these out over the Enve's one because they're a portion of the cost and they feature a hooked sidewall design unlike the new Enve ARs so there are no restrictions on tire choice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chemist wrote:

As far as i understand, if you want to optimize for aero, your rim need to be at least 105% of the actual tire wight... so for a 28mm tire, you need a 29.4mm rim.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In addition to some of the other answers here, the Roval CLX 32 and 50 are good choices depending on what depth you're looking for.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chemist wrote:

I would point out that the GP4000 is a good bit wider than it's comparable GP5000. Basically a GP4000-23 is very similar in size to a GP5000-25.

As for rims, well I would just default to HED. I have never been sorry I bought a HED wheel and those guys were the innovators of wide rims and so many other things we now take for granted.
Quote Reply
Re: What wheels/rims are optimized for a 28mm tire [LAI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LAI wrote:
For comparison my Eastons are 19mm internal and schwalbe Pro One sized 25 measures over 28mm. Take that same Schwalbe in a 28 a mount it on that Enve and I bet we're looking at something way north of 30mm.

i just left a schwalbe launch. (i'm awaiting for my next flight in madrid right now, so, i *just* left that launch.) what they said, about the new Pro Ones about to be announced (i hope i'm not breaking the embargo) is that their tire widths are normalized for 19mm internal (a 28mm tires measures 28mm on a rim with a 19mm internal. the narrower the rim, the narrower the tire (which probably means the taller the tire). the wider the rim, the wider the tire. not by a ton, but by some. i think it's 1mm wider for every 2mm of extra rim width, which would mean a 28mm tire would be 29mm on a HED plus rim (21mm internal), if i understand right.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: What wheels/rims are optimized for a 28mm tire [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting. I’ve been eyeing a couple of wheel sets from November. The All Road 38 which is 25.5mm internal/32.5mm external width and the RCG36 which is 21.5mm internal/28.5mm external. Both are hooked rim which appeals to me.

So then 28mm Schwalbe Pro One would be ~32 on the All Road 38. Wondering if that is stretching it out too wide in terms of fit and the what parts of the tire end up being in contact with the road

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's a good bit of info. I have gotten used to the 23/25 being 25/28 on the current bike.....so, I will make sure and order the correct size moving forward. You know what, though? I can't kill these things. It's quite possible by the time I need to replace my current set that Schwalbe will have again adjusted their sizing methodology. ;)

Slowman wrote:
new Pro Ones about to be announced (i hope i'm not breaking the embargo) is that their tire widths are normalized for 19mm internal

My YouTubes

Quote Reply
Re: What wheels/rims are optimized for a 28mm tire [spntrxi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have been using gp5k TL 28s on Enve 4.5ar wheels for months now without issue. The combo is pretty fantastic in my opinion. Plenty fast for road rides/races and enough volume for light gravel. I weigh 170lbs and run them from 55-65psi depending on conditions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chemist wrote:
Interesting. I’ve been eyeing a couple of wheel sets from November. The All Road 38 which is 25.5mm internal/32.5mm external width and the RCG36 which is 21.5mm internal/28.5mm external. Both are hooked rim which appeals to me.

So then 28mm Schwalbe Pro One would be ~32 on the All Road 38. Wondering if that is stretching it out too wide in terms of fit and the what parts of the tire end up being in contact with the road

I have the All Road 50s and they're amazeballs. With the Conti GP5000, latex tubes at 50PSI the tires are 31.3mm, stretched. I would think that the Schwalbes would be pretty close in width as they seem to be pretty similar in their inflated vs claimed width according to bicyclerollingresistance.com
Quote Reply
Re: What wheels/rims are optimized for a 28mm tire [LAI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
new Pro Ones about to be announced (i hope i'm not breaking the embargo) is that their tire widths are normalized for 19mm internal
[/quote]
LAI wrote:
That's a good bit of info. I have gotten used to the 23/25 being 25/28 on the current bike.....so, I will make sure and order the correct size moving forward. You know what, though? I can't kill these things. It's quite possible by the time I need to replace my current set that Schwalbe will have again adjusted their sizing methodology. ;)

i'm pretty impressed with schwalbe's pro ones. we had a group of 35 or 40 riders that took them out for 2 days of riding, road tires on both pavement and strada bianche type gravel, i didn't see any flats, 1 guy said he thought there was 1 flat. couple of crashes! but not tire related. i took the gravel tires (specialized trigger pros) off my zipp 303s and replaced them with 30mm pro ones, these new ones, and one of the tire sizing adjustments was the diameter of the tire. very easy to roll them onto rims.

i think the width methodology might be do to a change in the profile to get them more aero. i don't know how aero they were or weren't before, the old ones, but the new ones (just out this week i think) were made with aero in mind.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A 30mm Pro One will be an awesome all-around tire. Glad to see they came out with that, and wish I hasn’t just bought and mounted a 28.
Quote Reply