Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Naples FL Cycling
Quote | Reply
Hi there - any Naples FL locals on ST that can recommend cycling group rides, routes, ride schedules, etc? I've found the Naples Velo website but am wondering if any other good resources are available. Upcoming winter escape vacation next week and we plan to rent some decent road bikes and bring our own gear. Looking for rides in the 18-20mph avg and anything up to 30 miles. Route suggestions would be great too as I understand local Naples traffic is bad. We are staying at the Naples Beach and Golf Resort on Gulfshore Blvd North.

tinman
Quote Reply
Re: Naples FL Cycling [tinman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I rode with a group out of the Bonita Bay club when I was down that way for a vacation. That's probably not a group you can hook into (unless you're staying in that development). I was just fortunate that my host for the week knew some of the guys.

My thoughts about riding down there:
- I rented a bike from one of the Trek bike stores (there were a few of them). That worked out just fine. I imagine the folks at the shop could have pointed me to a group ride if I asked.
- The group I rode with was careful to base their ride on wind direction. The goal was to avoid a homeward bound slog into the wind (which I guess can get pretty tough). That day, we went South out of Bonita Springs to Naples and then back north (after stopping for ice cream and coffee mid-way through). It was my impression that taking wind direction into account is important.
- I'm used to riding on quiet country roads with lots of rolling hills. There is no such thing as a quiet road or a hill down there. There are bike lanes which are part of multi-lane roads and tons of traffic. Intersections are particularly scary, because turning cars need to merge through the bike lane to get to their turn. Most drivers were cautious (but not all).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stay warm! Last I heard the locals were about to freeze to death.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did that a few years ago. What a nightmare! Terrible riding conditions with crazy traffic. For me the only option was to meander along at a slow speed in nutty traffic and wind my way north quite a ways. That said, some of the worst riding areas I've ever been to. Swim in the gulf instead or figure your options will be very limited and not what you might want. Best.......
Quote Reply
Re: Naples FL Cycling [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gary - I had been thinking of doing this century ride in Naples. Does your comment still apply to organized rides? Thx. Paul

http://www.caamevents.com/event/td-bank-naples-bike-brunch/?instance_id=1893
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The best options are to stay near/along the beach early in the AM, or to head East towards Ave Maria and stay in bike lanes. Once you're out East of 951-Collier Blvd there are very few lights and decent riding. You could park at North Collier Regional Park or the Vineyards Park and head East from those locations to avoid the worst of the traffic and you'd be right onto roads with bike lanes. Livingston Rd heading North is a popular road for riding with bike lanes, but traffic lights every few miles.
Quote Reply
Re: Naples FL Cycling [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
Gary - I had been thinking of doing this century ride in Naples. Does your comment still apply to organized rides? Thx. Paul

I have not done that so could not really comment. I did find the incessant starting and stopping on the coast routes really caused the riding to be not very enjoyable. That and a lack of bike lanes on many roads and not terrible cycling friendly drivers. I was glad I had my trainer with me.

If I was trying to get good riding I would go to Clermont.
Last edited by: ggeiger: Feb 1, 19 13:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The bike rental options from Naples Cyclery on Vanderbilt Beach Rd are fantastic, plus they have all kinds of group rides that leave every day of the week. Check them out at https://www.naplescyclery.com/

I was just down on Gulf Shore earlier this week and made the comment that they've done a fantastic job with the bike lanes in the neighborhoods in the past several years. Pelican Bay is also a great area for good loop workouts.

Level II USAT Coach | Level 3 USAC Coach | NASM-CPT
Team Zoot | Tailwind Trailblazer
I can tell you why you're sick, I just can't write you an Rx
Quote Reply
Re: Naples FL Cycling [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We're coming down from polar vortex WI so nothing FL weather can throw at us will faze us!

tinman
Quote Reply
Re: Naples FL Cycling [Dr_Cupcake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cool - I did find their website and it looks like they have decent road bike rental options. Will check them out.

tinman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a couple family members who live down there....theyve been complaining all week about the frigid 50s and Wearing Puffy coats!

LOL.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I hear you. I'm probably going to do the Tour de Latino in Clermont next week. I need the hills more than the flat, but there is this pizza place in Naples my wife really likes ... gotta consider the trade-offs! :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
Yeah, I hear you. I'm probably going to do the Tour de Latino in Clermont next week. I need the hills more than the flat, but there is this pizza place in Naples my wife really likes ... gotta consider the trade-offs! :)

Haha! I hear you. I found an awesome BBQ place in Clermont that wins a ton of competitions in case you're over that way....

I'm hoping to get some training time in the Clermont area later this winter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Crust?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't let everybody scare you off. This is a good ride and it can be as long as you like. I you are renting from Naples Cyclery, start there and head west on Vanderbilt Beach Rd to Vanderbilt DR. go right and (you have to work this out on the maps) go until you can make a left and right before Bonito Beach Rd. That's the only high speed road you'll be on so try to take the short cut to eliminate some of it, but it's fine. After you get back on Bonito, follow it to Hickory and you can ride all the way to Ft Myers Beach!

On the way back when you get back to Vanderbilt Beach Rd, if you are going to hang onto the bike, you will make right onto North Point and I'll let you use the maps to figure the way back to your hotel but you don't have to go on Tamiani.

It's a great ride with great scenery, enjoy!

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! đŸ˜‚ '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: Naples FL Cycling [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the information - certainly sounds viable. We will likely rent bikes from Naples Cyclery as you mentioned. Can't wait to escape crappy winter WI for a week.

tinman
Quote Reply
Re: Naples FL Cycling [eganski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eganski wrote:
The Crust?

Yep!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Riding in Naples is great if you know the roads to avoid. Group rides leave from the the Publix at the Vanderbilt/41 intersection 7 days a week at 7am. If you miss the group rides and ride later in the day, it’s best to stick with Pelican Bay to Gulf Shore area and avoid heading east. Roads can get busy this time of year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ggeiger wrote:
HuffNPuff wrote:

I have not done that so could not really comment. I did find the incessant starting and stopping on the coast routes really caused the riding to be not very enjoyable. That and a lack of bike lanes on many roads and not terrible cycling friendly drivers. I was glad I had my trainer with me.

Just to follow-up, I did the Bike Brunch Century ride this past weekend. So here's how it went. The first 21 miles or so was near the coast, absolutely beautiful homes, but lots of starting and stopping like you said. Then we headed out east to Ave Maria. That was mostly on 4 and 6 lane highways with a bike path on the side. These were like speedways for cars and not roads I would ever choose to ride on my own. The group helped, but it wasn't an enjoyable route. The few miles into and around Ave Maria were very nice, then it was back to Naples on the speedway. I felt very sorry for Naples cyclists if this was all they had available to them. And just this week, an older cyclist was killed on those roads as a driver veered into the bike lane. I have no intentions of ever going back to Naples for a ride. However, "The Crust Pizza" on Vanderbilt Blvd was excellent as always - the wife loved it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
ggeiger wrote:
HuffNPuff wrote:

Just to follow-up, I did the Bike Brunch Century ride this past weekend. So here's how it went. The first 21 miles or so was near the coast, absolutely beautiful homes, but lots of starting and stopping like you said. Then we headed out east to Ave Maria. That was mostly on 4 and 6 lane highways with a bike path on the side. These were like speedways for cars and not roads I would ever choose to ride on my own. The group helped, but it wasn't an enjoyable route. The few miles into and around Ave Maria were very nice, then it was back to Naples on the speedway. I felt very sorry for Naples cyclists if this was all they had available to them. And just this week, an older cyclist was killed on those roads as a driver veered into the bike lane. I have no intentions of ever going back to Naples for a ride. However, "The Crust Pizza" on Vanderbilt Blvd was excellent as always - the wife loved it.

Thanks for the update. My impression of the area is similar....no place for actual cyclists unless one is stuck there. I would never go there by choice to train. Now Clermont.......another story.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Have family in Naples and visit a few times a year in winter. My experience has been fantastic. Just get out early. I rent from Big Momma's Cycle [Bianchi carbon fork road bike 135/week] Just call in advance to reserve your bike if visiting around spring break. I pack my own pedals/shoes and front/rear lights. My favorite route is similar to the one Sweeny suggested. Here it is For us who live in northern climates, nothing beats getting out on the roads after a winter of being indoors. The route below is very scenic Have FUN

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=7349385
Close[/url]
Quote Reply