Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

MORF-Tech bar inventor passed away?????
Quote | Reply
This morning, I saw on my FB that a friend of mine Frank Spingett, the inventor and engineer of MORF-Tech aerobars, has very recently passed away?? I can not confirm this news, so I am asking if anyone else knows any details.

Here is a link: https://plus.google.com/...29/posts/hmAiHQjav2C

Can anyone provide info or validation of this???

Team Zoot-Texas, and Pickle Juice
Last edited by: Taugen: Jan 31, 19 15:53
Quote Reply
Re: Morph-Tech bar inventor passed away????? [Taugen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh no, terrible news. I met with Frank in Dec 2016 as he embarked cross-country from Texas to Disney. He was incredibly enthusiastic about having left his job and working on Morf. Life is short, life is precious.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: MORF-Tech bar inventor passed away????? [Taugen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unfortunately, true. Bike accident, though I don't have details. Very sad.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Re: MORF-Tech bar inventor passed away????? [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Truly one of the best guys I knew in the sport who very much understood the importance of family. I can’t imagine what they are going through right now.

Adam Feigh
Pianko Law, Speed Hound, Castelli, Sailfish, Base
Feighathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: MORF-Tech bar inventor passed away????? [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Damn... Seemed like a cool dude. A real innovator and super nice every time I conversed with him over email. Terrible news.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh my gosh I can't believe I'm reading this. I met Frank around the same time as Thomas and had been in communication with him every other week or so for the past couple of years as he developed his bars and his brand. In that time I got to know him and befriended him to a degree. He was a father, a husband, and led a large engineering team at an oilfield services firm. He was a very enthusiastic triathlete and he had so much planned for the MORF brand and cycling in general. My condolences to his family.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I never met him, but his handlebar design was a clever, impressive, wild, and category-disrupting aerobar solution. It is very sad to hear of this big loss to our community and to his family.

I hope his aerobar and his ideas live on ...

Greg @ dsw

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: MORF-Tech bar inventor passed away????? [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sadly, I have learned that Frank has in fact passed away as was seen on FB the other morning. I still do not know any details other than a cycling accident is what I hear.

I live in Houston, and met with Frank in a parking garage to test ride an early prototype MORF bar. It took me just a minute to get used to, and then I loved it. Frank was very nice, and super-proud of his creation. I hope that his partner will continue moving forward with the MORF bar.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello Taugen, GreenPlease, and All,

Any further word on Frank's cause of death?

From the website:

It is with great sadness we report the death of MORF Tech founder Frank Springett.

While we cope with our loss, sales and distribution of MORF Technologies Trifold Bar will be temporarily suspended as we restructure our management. We will respond to e-mails and address customer inquiries during this transition. We appreciate and thank you for your patience in this very difficult time.

Please check back to this website for updates.

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Re: MORF-Tech bar inventor passed away????? [nealhe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Neal,

I live in Houston, where Frank lived, and I have not heard much of anything other than it was a cycling accident with a school bus (might have been a city transit bus, but I seem to recall reading it was a school bus). I can not confirm this with 100% certainty, as it is what I recall reading in a very short local paper article and obit posting.

Frank was a true engineer and talent to development. He will be missed.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Taugen wrote:
Hi Neal,

I live in Houston, where Frank lived, and I have not heard much of anything other than it was a cycling accident with a school bus (might have been a city transit bus, but I seem to recall reading it was a school bus). I can not confirm this with 100% certainty, as it is what I recall reading in a very short local paper article and obit posting. Frank was a true engineer and talent to development. He will be missed.

frank ran into a parked school bus. as well as i could tell - and i interviewed a number of people - it was simply the case of frank riding his bike the way i too often ride my bike: like i open water swim. it was very early morning, but not where the bus normally is, a known route, a known road, just not typically anything parked there. there were witnesses. not a case of product failure. just, looking down and running into an object in front. i have a titanium plate holding my collarbone together from the same crash, just, i was lucky.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: MORF-Tech bar inventor passed away????? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello Slowman and All,

Slowman writes in part: i have a titanium plate holding my collarbone together from the same crash, just, i was lucky.

Makes me wonder about the frequency of this type of crash.

A friend of mine was lucky ..... he rode right into the back of a parked city bus in that Northbound stretch of PCH just before the power plant in Carlsbad.

He fell over ... but was lucky and only got a ding in his front wheel and some bruises.

He said he was in the rhythm and riding well ..... but could not remember if he had his head down and did not see the the bus to react ....... or just 'spaced' and saw the bus but did not process the information.

A prism lens that allows a cyclist to see forward while riding with head down could be valuable.

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Re: MORF-Tech bar inventor passed away????? [nealhe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok,

Maybe I'm wrong. you're post seams a little off side given the subject matter.

I'm sure you didn't intend it that way, but that is how I perceive it.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: MORF-Tech bar inventor passed away????? [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello mauricemaher and All,

I take you point .... I thought twice before posting ....

On the other hand I would be remiss if I did not mention a possible solution and someone else suffered the same fate.

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway.

You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." Eleanor Roosevelt

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This sucks. He was a great person, father and husband. My sympathies go out to his wife and daughters.
Quote Reply
Re: MORF-Tech bar inventor passed away????? [alaska848] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jocelyn Mccauley gave quite an emotional speech dedicating her win at IMNZ on Saturday to Frank.
Quote Reply
Re: MORF-Tech bar inventor passed away????? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you know where the school bus was parked/where Frank was riding? In a bike lane? On a shoulder used as a bike lane? In a vehicle travel lane?

What a terrible tragedy.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Quote Reply
Re: MORF-Tech bar inventor passed away????? [DrTriKat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DrTriKat wrote:
Do you know where the school bus was parked/where Frank was riding? In a bike lane? On a shoulder used as a bike lane? In a vehicle travel lane? What a terrible tragedy.

i don't know.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: MORF-Tech bar inventor passed away????? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was checking out recent winner, Jocelyn McCauley's Instagram and found out about him passing.
So sad and RIP.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bug9GagDEoY/
Last edited by: s13tx: Mar 4, 19 14:30
Quote Reply