Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Advice on long run and long brick for IM training
Quote | Reply
I've got IM TX coming up in 12 weeks, and I'm trying to figure out how long my 'long' days should be. I was thinking I would do a 4000yd swim followed by a four hour ride and then a 10 mile run, but that kind of sounds like it might be too much. Maybe at 2500 yd swim, 4 or 4:30 bike, and then five miles of running for one long day, and for another 4K swim+3-3:30 bike+10 mile run? I believe in my IM glory days I would do 4hour+8 miles (not sure about the swim). It's been a long time since I've done IM, just wondering what people are doing now.

Similar question for the long run. Is 18 enough or is 20-21 still the magic number? For reference, I'm hoping to run 3:30-4:00 in the race. 18 in training will probably be about two and a half hours, and I will be running around 50 miles per week.

Thanks in advance.

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Re: Advice on long run and long brick for IM training [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I personally see very little value in that type of long brick workout with a relatively big swim, bike and run all in a row. I would (and have never) done all three disciplines in a row except for races (2 ironmans, several halfs). I am also becoming less and less of a believer in bike/run bricks---I only did 2 "bricks" in my build up for my 70.3 A race last year and ran better than I ever have in that race. Those bricks were 2 mile runs.

The risk of injury on a big brick workout like that is simply too high in my opinion, but you're probably fine doing 5 miles off the bike if you really want.

As for the long run, 2.5 hours seems about the max IMO.
Quote Reply
Re: Advice on long run and long brick for IM training [jssvnstr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I might have someone test their nutrition with a 45 min run after a long race-pace bike rehearsal (once) but other than that I'd not have them run any more than 15 min after a long bike ride.

I do feel there's value in bricks but not after the long ride or coupled with a bigger swim/bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It depends on your volume & injury resistance. For most people during Ironman training, 18 miles and above is simply too risky. I'm a fan of the split long run or 2:15 hour long run. This worked well for me in my first Ironman and I ran 4 hours on very low running mileage (was returning from stress fracture). In my opinion, bike volume/fitness is much more important for an Ironman.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do a Metric Ironman

https://www.trainingpeaks.com/...he-ironman-marathon/

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Quote Reply
Re: Advice on long run and long brick for IM training [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I hear that. In my past long races (16xIM, one 12 hr MTB race) I've kind of broken down and suffered on the run (I know, that's no shock, everyone does). One thing that I was thinking was that my body just wasn't used to exercising for that long, and that some longer days might mitigate that a bit. Perhaps that's naive, and it really is all about fitness (likely).

Anyway, it's gonna be a good race, thanks for the advice!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you need a longer ride, way shorter run most weeks even in the build. You really just don't need to be doing very long runs after the long ride week in and week out. My last IM I was doing something like 4.5-5.5 hours and a 30 minute run for the weekly 'long' day, about 45min to hour swim before. I did one workout of the metric ironman as recommended previously toward the end of my last build, and that worked out pretty well. I was only running about 30-35 miles (4-4.5 hours) per week with about 18-20 mile long days, but easily about 10-12 hours a week riding with short 1-2 miles intense bricks after every ride. Had a 3:45 marathon, 10:12 finish; wish I had a run or two longer than 20 miles but still happy.

Matt Leu, M.S. Kinesiology
San Pedro Fit Works, Los Angeles, CA
Endurance Athlete and Coach
Consistency/time=results
Quote Reply
Re: Advice on long run and long brick for IM training [TMR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TMR wrote:
It depends on your volume & injury resistance. For most people during Ironman training, 18 miles and above is simply too risky. I'm a fan of the split long run or 2:15 hour long run. This worked well for me in my first Ironman and I ran 4 hours on very low running mileage (was returning from stress fracture). In my opinion, bike volume/fitness is much more important for an Ironman.

My understanding is the BIG MONSTER volume race simulation weekends are kind of "old school" unless your pro or have gifted bio-mechanics that allow you to log very high mileage without injury. I certainly do not, and last time I tried the Sat 5K swim + 20 mile run, and Sun 100 mile ride + 6 mile brick run, I ended up needing two knee surgeries.

The split worked very well for me last season.
Midweek (Thurs for me): Nothing crazy, but some longer sets (eg 8-10 x 400s, build by 100 as 80% race pace, 90%, 100%, 110%) with sighting practice. Form focused 40 min shake out run after.
Saturday: Long ride (I topped out at around 95 miles this year, 3 rides in the 85-95 range) with a SHORT brick run off, 20-30 min max run with fast build to IM race pace -- this is more neuromuscular
Sunday: Morning run of around 2.5 hrs on variable terrain with a couple IM race pace miles sprinkled in here or there on flats, just to "dial in" the pace. Evening trail / soft surface run around 1 hour (easy pace).

This was my first season with no major injuries in 15 years of racing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is more than one way to skin a cat. I've had success with big volume and lots of bricks. My avearge Saturday in the base and build is bike100 miles run 6 miles. I usually have 3-4 runs around 20 miles. I didn't start off with this amount of volume and I've been racing Ironman for 15 years. I now do less speed work than I use to.
However there are people who get it done with a lot less miles, but they train with more intensity and speed work. Long and slow or short and fast both work. You need to be smarter with your training plan and speed work if you are going with less volume.
I do think you need bricks if you want run well off the bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dude, you have done 16 Ironmans, then you know your body way more than anyone on a forum can advise
Quote Reply
Re: Advice on long run and long brick for IM training [Billabong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Billabong wrote:
Do a Metric Ironman

"and feel free to go as long as 26.2 miles in training to cement a solid reserve of running endurance."

Hmmm

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: Advice on long run and long brick for IM training [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hadukla wrote:
Billabong wrote:
Do a Metric Ironman

"and feel free to go as long as 26.2 miles in training to cement a solid reserve of running endurance."

Hmmm

Yeah, some of the advice in that article is dated at best, dangerous at worst.

Quote Reply
Re: Advice on long run and long brick for IM training [Kenney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kenney wrote:
Dude, you have done 16 Ironmans, then you know your body way more than anyone on a forum can advise

Ha, if only that were true. I did 16 IMs in 74 months, but when I line up in Houston it will have been 89 months since my last. And I'm 42 with two kids now, so I kind of feel like a rookie again.

Quote Reply
Re: Advice on long run and long brick for IM training [wintershade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wintershade wrote:
TMR wrote:

My understanding is the BIG MONSTER volume race simulation weekends are kind of "old school" unless your pro or have gifted bio-mechanics that allow you to log very high mileage without injury. I certainly do not, and last time I tried the Sat 5K swim + 20 mile run, and Sun 100 mile ride + 6 mile brick run, I ended up needing two knee surgeries.

The split worked very well for me last season.
Midweek (Thurs for me): Nothing crazy, but some longer sets (eg 8-10 x 400s, build by 100 as 80% race pace, 90%, 100%, 110%) with sighting practice. Form focused 40 min shake out run after.
Saturday: Long ride (I topped out at around 95 miles this year, 3 rides in the 85-95 range) with a SHORT brick run off, 20-30 min max run with fast build to IM race pace -- this is more neuromuscular
Sunday: Morning run of around 2.5 hrs on variable terrain with a couple IM race pace miles sprinkled in here or there on flats, just to "dial in" the pace. Evening trail / soft surface run around 1 hour (easy pace).

This was my first season with no major injuries in 15 years of racing.

Yeah, that's fairly close to my plan. I'm generally planning something like 4-5 hours on Saturday with 4-5 miles in the morning beforehand (occasionally will move that to the afternoon off the bike) and then 15 miles on Sunday. Then the next weekend 2-3 hours with a five mile brick on Saturday and 18 on Sunday.

Your 3.5 hour Sunday run sounds a bit too killer to me, I think I would be rubbish on that second run.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One thing you could do for the second Sunday run, is include walk breaks, (30 sec every 5 min or anytime you notice form deteriorating) or if you're planning a walk/run strategy whatever you plan to do on race day (e.g., walk 30 sec every mile to simulate walking the aid stations, etc.). It's less about fitness, more about practice maintaining form under fatigue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
how fragile are you?

dont brick this stuff, that's a waste, you'll get really tired without pushing the limits that you really ought to be pushing. Then running on tired legs like that will increase recovery time.

1:45 morning run
:45-:60 evening run
roughly 4 weeks out

6k longest swim (all by itself)
roughly 2 weeks out

6 hours on the bike (all by itself)
roughly 3 weeks out

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Long run is ridiculously overrated. Nothing "magic" about it.

Total weekly running mileage matters more. That is the envelope to push. Get in a long run now and then but don't fret over it
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd drop the runs from what you outlined. I think it's okay to get in a 4000+ swim early in the day, get some good grub and a few hours later set out for a 4.5-6.5 hour ride. This was my Saturday for my last IM. Sunday was a 1:00-1:15 run with IM intervals and up to 2 hours easy on the bike. My long runs were on Tuesdays.
If you're hitting 50 mpw, I think you can shoot for a little lower long run and not have to hit 20-21.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My last Ironman my coach had me do a 220km bike (almost 7.5hrs) and then a 14km (just over 1hr) run. Gets in the volume time wise but not killing the legs with an overly long run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
16 in 74 months is either impressive or insane !

Anyhow , some good advice in here

I have never understood the folks that do the big days , a confidence builder I think . Build sensibly instead , do 2 to 3 100 milers and at least one 2 to 2-15 hr run but really you need consistent and frequent run miles - I will get up to about 40 miles per week about 8 weeks out and stick with it til taper including one long tempo run , rest is steady

Longest run off the bike is 20 mins

Last (not super hot) IM marathon was 3-06 and I am 48

I am a also big fan but of double run days per Marky V

Of course to run well you need to be strong on the bike

Good luck !
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Personally I like limiting runs to 2 hours for the sake of minimizing muscle breakdown. BUT, I also don't have a problem subscribing another supporting run in the same day to get to 20ish miles while minimizing the recovery needed.

Peak volume would be a 100 mile ride and maybe a 30 minute run after.

Depends on what your goals are, how your fitness is and how well you recover.

I've had to structure long runs on Fridays. 10 miles before work. 8 miles over lunch. 2 to 3 miles after work.
4 hour ride Saturday.
3000m swim Saturday afternoon.
2 to 3 hour ride Sunday.

Monday is a solid recovery day.

Kids + work + life doesn't allow just plowing into miles every weekend.

Ryan
http://www.SetThePaceTriathlon.com
http://www.TriathlonTrainingDaddy.com
I got plans - https://www.trainingpeaks.com/...dotcom#trainingplans
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FWIW I rarely do all three disciplines in one day. Reason is if I do that I pay for it the next day with fatigue. If I'm not training next day because it's a travel day or similar then I will do all three. It's rare.

I also don't do long bricks. Weekends look like:

Saturday long bike ride followed by a shorter run. Sunday long swim and a long run.
Last edited by: Dilbert: Feb 4, 19 13:45
Quote Reply