Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Moving to France for a year from Toronto - What bike to bring?
Quote | Reply
Wanted to see what the community would do in my situation..

I'm moving to Bordeaux, France for a year in March to complete my masters degree (woohoo!). Obviously taking a bike.

I was thinking to take the road bike with me as weather there is ridable year round (more or less) and its just a simpler rig to have. There will be lots to discover in the area and when I do get some mountain riding in the Pyrenees, I don't want to be hauling my 22lb shiv up the mountain! Not to mention, I do like the versatility and camaraderie of road riding, where I think tri bikes tend to throw out heavy 'lone-wolf' vibes.

My solution to my super first-world-problem was to get my wife to bring the tri bike in the summer so I can race in it come time. This would then leave me with 2 bikes to babysit in Europe though.

Thoughts/Recommendations?
Cheers!
Quote Reply
Re: Moving to France for a year from Toronto - What bike to bring? [kevpog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have been to Bordeaux several times to train with my coach who lives there with my tri bike. The riding isn't great in the area and my go to was a Bordeaux Paulliac return around 90km. That being said it is just small villages, chateaus and vineyards with no traffic lights so very scenic and friendly drivers but no hills or much varying terrain. There is a descent hill of a few km not far out of town for some good repeats if that is your thing. As I say my coach lives there and coaches a group. Feel free to PM if you want his contact and I am sure you may be able to ride with them or at least get some local advice. He also organises a race called the Frenchman that runs up to an Ironman distance on one of the days of the weekend.

https://www.frenchmantriathlon.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Moving to France for a year from Toronto - What bike to bring? [kevpog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did a trip through the Pyrenees a few years ago. The scenery is spectacular. Even on my road bike descending was hard work, I was very envious of the people in my group with disk brakes on their roadies.

I would not try descending on a TT.
Quote Reply
Re: Moving to France for a year from Toronto - What bike to bring? [Ironnerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
While in France with my coach we did a four day training block based on Tourmalet and I rode my tri bike climbing many HC climbs and other mountains including Tourmalet which I climbed three times descending no worries but with aluminium rims. I wouldn't ride carbon rims as I have melted several sets before on my road bike over the years but mostly due to descending TDF stages and having to ride the brakes so hard with so many people on the road.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello

Welcome to France
Bordeaux is a nice place to study, travel , or bike. And taste wines :-)

If you go west it is mostly flat (bassin d'Arcachon), east is more hilly (Agen, Gers, ...) but a bit farther. I come from this hilly area (Cahors), and my brother lives near Bordeaux.

Pyrenees are wonderful, the best would be a gravel bike with disk brakes, indeed strong slopes, small hairpins, and small dirty roads sometimes (ideal to avoid cars and tourists).

You can take your road bike (with alu wheels) and put bars on it. Then you have both.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve been in the area, and I’d recommend a fat tire road bike with disc brakes with max enjoyment and safety - especially a triathlete coming from Toronto! Ha, I’m from Ottawa so only a bit hillier. I’d go 32mm tires like he new 5000s contis tubeless.

The pavement in France is surprisingly rough depending on the area. When I was in the Carcassone area I was surprised how rough the pavement was. I only had 25s on that trip and I really wish I had bigger tires for the rough texture and twisty decents.