Quote | Reply
DCRainmaker's take - https://www.dcrainmaker.com/...ltisport-review.html

===
iSMARTtrain - Mac training software for Garmin, SRM, PowerTap & Polar
http://www.ismarttrain.com
Quote Reply
Re: Opinions on Polar Vantage M [tevendale] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I really wanted to like this watch but after that review the 735xt is looking a lot better for just an extra $50.
Quote Reply
Re: Opinions on Polar Vantage M [DaniD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The big downside for the 735 is you need to go under 10 hours to avoid the battery running out. Which worked fine on my first Ironman with it but hasn't worked that well for the 2 following :) I suppose you can also take that as a motivation :)
Quote Reply
Re: Opinions on Polar Vantage M [tomdefietsbom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Or you can use it as an excuse to don't do anything over 70.3 ;). I don't plan on doing any full distance triathlons in the near future, doing sprints and olys at the moment, I'm still trying to conquer the half.
Quote Reply
Re: Opinions on Polar Vantage M [stevendex] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How's the lap pool swimming functionality? It looks like the Polar has auto lap/pause similar to Suunto. Can one also record laps/intervals manually via button push? How reliable is it at measuring laps/distance? Also, treadmill running - how accurate is it without a foot pod?

tinman
Quote Reply
Re: Opinions on Polar Vantage M [tinman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tinman wrote:
How's the lap pool swimming functionality? It looks like the Polar has auto lap/pause similar to Suunto. Can one also record laps/intervals manually via button push? How reliable is it at measuring laps/distance? Also, treadmill running - how accurate is it without a foot pod?

Pool swimming functionality is really good. Tracks stroke type, distance, automatic rest periods and heart rate. You can also hit the lap button and do laps manually. The auto laps/distance measurement is the best of any watch I've had between fenix 3 suunto spartan trainer, tomtom multisport and 310xt. On strava/tp, it won't show rest periods as you resting-it'll just show entire time, and distance swam. Only if you hit lap manually will it show the lap on strava or training peaks, though each length shows on polar flow.

Not done any treadmill running. If I did I'd get a stryd footpod.
Quote Reply
Re: Opinions on Polar Vantage M [stevendex] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks - that sounds promising. Should I use the combination of the lap button and then the pause button or if I use only the lap button will the Polar V still recognize/measure rest between intervals and auto start when I push off the wall for the next lap/interval?

tinman
Quote Reply
Re: Opinions on Polar Vantage M [tomdefietsbom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tomdefietsbom wrote:
The big downside for the 735 is you need to go under 10 hours to avoid the battery running out. Which worked fine on my first Ironman with it but hasn't worked that well for the 2 following :) I suppose you can also take that as a motivation :)

That’s why I ended up with 935. I’ll want to keep it for at least 3 years and can’t predict if I’ll be doing an IM. I’d hate to have to buy another watch
Quote Reply
Re: Opinions on Polar Vantage M [tinman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It recognizes when you are actually swimming vs standing at the end of the lane. Just don't turn around in the middle of a length or switch strokes during a length. Sometimes I just hit pause (bottom left) to do drills or kicksets, then start when I want to swim again.
Quote Reply
Re: Opinions on Polar Vantage M [Jloewe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’ve got the Vantage V currently and have been using it for the past two months for all my training, which was for a 50K I ran 1.5 weeks ago.

Auto-sync has been on and off for me, but frankly when it doesn’t work just holding the back button to make it happen isn’t an issue for me. The lack of ANT+ hasn’t been a problem as so many device makers have both Bluetooth and ANT+, so no issue there. Notifications haven’t yet come to either unit, but the V is getting back to start and navigation (along with notifications) this month, which will be useful for me. I have a Fenix 5x to compare it to and though I like having maps for when I’m lost in the woods, I’m not yet convinced the size of the unit is worth having that “just in case”, feature.

When it comes down to it, it’s hard to compare the three big companies (Garmin, Polar, Suunto) fairly as Garmin is leaps and bounds beyond the other two, rather inexplicably so. You just have to decide which features matter most to you and which company’s basket you want your eggs in. If your jam is triathlon, Garmin or Polar, especially if you want recovery data, etc... as both platforms offer running and cycling GPS units and sync activity data across the board. Suunto doesn’t have a cycling unit, but if you do ultra/trail/hiking/travel, then Suunto or Garmin will be a better bet if you want more “durable” (e.g., sapphire glass)) units with more navigation features and watch faces that put elevation, sunset/sunrise times, time zone, etc... in reach easily.

All this to say, the new Polar line is great if you like Scandinavian design useful recovery/performance data and a lower price tag.
Quote Reply
Re: Opinions on Polar Vantage M [EvanF-C] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
EvanF-C wrote:
I’ve got the Vantage V currently and have been using it for the past two months for all my training, which was for a 50K I ran 1.5 weeks ago.

Auto-sync has been on and off for me, but frankly when it doesn’t work just holding the back button to make it happen isn’t an issue for me. The lack of ANT+ hasn’t been a problem as so many device makers have both Bluetooth and ANT+, so no issue there. Notifications haven’t yet come to either unit, but the V is getting back to start and navigation (along with notifications) this month, which will be useful for me. I have a Fenix 5x to compare it to and though I like having maps for when I’m lost in the woods, I’m not yet convinced the size of the unit is worth having that “just in case”, feature.

When it comes down to it, it’s hard to compare the three big companies (Garmin, Polar, Suunto) fairly as Garmin is leaps and bounds beyond the other two, rather inexplicably so. You just have to decide which features matter most to you and which company’s basket you want your eggs in. If your jam is triathlon, Garmin or Polar, especially if you want recovery data, etc... as both platforms offer running and cycling GPS units and sync activity data across the board. Suunto doesn’t have a cycling unit, but if you do ultra/trail/hiking/travel, then Suunto or Garmin will be a better bet if you want more “durable” (e.g., sapphire glass)) units with more navigation features and watch faces that put elevation, sunset/sunrise times, time zone, etc... in reach easily.

All this to say, the new Polar line is great if you like Scandinavian design useful recovery/performance data and a lower price tag.

Very well said.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Swimming in Yards based pools - problem with the distance displayed.

I've been swimming a 40 yards (yep that's right, 40 yards) pool.
I set the pool distance to this in the watch (and defo in yards not metres).

It's showing the distance display in yards too.
But... at each lap its actually showing the yards-equivalent of it being a 40 Metre pool. So for example after 5 lengths, instead of showing 200 yards, its actually showing 218 yards (ie equiv to 200m).

Ive re-set and reried 2 or 3 more times and get the same fault, inc if I use the pre-set 25 yard pool option too.

If I set to say 25m then it gives the right distance.

Anyone else had this problem ?

S/w isup to date, and same incorrect data shows on Polar Flow if I Upload.
Quote Reply
Re: Opinions on Polar Vantage M [mcmetal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would argue the opposite, Garmin hardware in my experience is much lower quality, software platform is abysmal and they tend to just stop supporting products on a whim.

I would run not walk away from Garmin every day all day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is have you found any issues using your Vantage with the Wahoo Tickr?
Quote Reply
Re: Opinions on Polar Vantage M [DinoBoss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am wearing my Polar M 24/24 since nearly a year. It just works and as mentioned above you charge once per week and can track your daily commute without problems.

If ever you are hesitating because of BT only: there is a nice HR monitor from 4iiii (called Viiiiva) that converts a Ant+ (from your cycle PM for example) into BT. I used this when I wanted to have PM data on the same time on the Polar Vantage M and the iPhone (for Rouvy or Zwift).

https://www.strava.com/athletes/13873052
Quote Reply

Prev Next