Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Favorite Sports movies? [Tri_yoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just picked up American Flyers last night and watched it this morning while I did a ride on the trainer. As noted above, by triyoda, it is a little cheesy but good entertainment for a couple of hours of riding (and as mentioned, the DVD was in the bargain bin so it was cheap). I thought that the Russian, defending Olympic champion was quite well cast .... being built like a linebacker and attacking all the skinny cyclists on the big climbs .... maybe he was defending champion for the match sprints in the velodrome :)
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Sports movies? [Kiwi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Without a doubt:

Bull Durham (batboy: 'get a hit Crash,' Costner: 'shut up')

Hoosiers (measuring the height of the rim and the foul line when they enter the arena, Chitwood: 'I'll make it')

Vision Quest (Shupe to Louden Swain: 'you can't hold your mud' also a great soundtrack)

Breaking Away (drafting behind the semi)

Natural (manager to Redford: 'you're the best g.d. ballplayer I ever saw')

Field of Dreams (Costner: 'Dad, wanna have a catch?' Moonlight Graham: '... slide into third and wrap your arms around the bag...')

But of course, the biggest tear jerker for me, even though it is not a movie (will be in February) is Al Michaels' famous line about the 1980 hockey team....

DO YOU BELIEVE IN MIRACLES? YES!!!!

I have to believe since my big butt is doing CDA this June!!!! Happy training to everyone!!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Sports movies? [maylene] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As a basball man of 20 years, Bull Durham and the natural are my favorites.

Peole would be surprised at how realistic Bull Durham is. Players really do talk/argue with themselves. That movie was big when I was in HS, so when I played college ball all the players knew it by heart. My best friend was my first baseman (I pitched). So, whenever he'd make an error, he'd call all the infielders to the mound and start the whole hexed glove thing, "Hey Jooz guyz, don't throw me anything. My girlfriend put a hex on my glove". I'd assume Nuke Laloosh's role "Give me glove, I'll take the f'ing hex off the glove" .. then would come the part about needing a live rooster, but we'd stop ... by then the coach had made it out there and would ask about what was being so funny.

----------------------------------

My son was born while we watch the Natural. After 35 hours of labor, I said that's it, I'm watching a movie. Hobbs hit the homer, the lights explode, the music plays, and my son comes out. I couldn't have written it any better.

As for the making you laugh part maylene ... most of my posts don't show it, but I'm more Jim Carrey than Stallone. I'm 30 going on 13 in terms of personality. Rarely serious. The stuff I talk about on the internet I avoid in real life. I don't know why that is. I guess b/c on the internet, I can say what I want, leave and go do something else, come back and get the reply, respond at my convenience, etc. In real life I just don't want to sit down and have an hour discussion about tax cuts.

On the bike situation, I would have just slapped the guy (in a friendly way) and say "wake up, I'll buy ya a beer. C'mon".

weird how that is.

--------------------------------

ESPN Classic ... I'm a Cardinal fan, give me game 6 versus LA (Clark's HR) or Game 1 vs LA (Ozzie's HR). Willie McGee rules.

=======================
-- Every morning brings opportunity;
Each evening offers judgement. --
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Sports movies? [TripleThreat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I grew up a Dodger fan and swore I bled blue until the winter of '88. Anyway, I am still a ball fan despite working in baseball. You are right, TripleThreat, Bull Durham is very much like the real minors. Kinda funny how life imitates art, when the chance to move here to NC, Raleigh area which is right next to Durham, the only reason that made me say yes was to be next to the Bulls, as sick as that sounds. And no, I am not a Millie or Annie wanna be... just a fan of the game. And that movie made me a Durham fan. I now love the minors.

I, too, have a wonderful birth/baseball story. My daughter was due early Sept, 1994. Two weeks later I had started labor but was not progressing. On a trip to the hospital I was sitting there on the hospital bed, watching special news coverage while my (ex)husband was talking to the nurse, telling her how happy I was and not stressed… then they came back in the room. I was sobbing uncontrollably. “That stupid….. Bud Selig….. just …….. called off…. The….. World….. Seeeeeeeriiiiiiiiieeeeeesssss.” My daughter was induced 3 days later. We named her Bud.... JK.

-----------------------------------------------
maylene jackson, cscs
http://www.kidsintraining.org
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does "Bloodsport" with Van Damme Count?? Chong-Li is the bomb!! You can't go wrong with any movie that involves "Oger" from Revenge of the Nerds and kicking bamboo trees until they fall down (wait,maybe that was "Kickboxer"?) doesn't matter, they're all the same.....!

I would also give high marks to "Blue Crush"!

-Keith
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Minor league baseball is the best. We (my dad, myself and my son) try to go to a few games per year. Last year we went to a Peoria (A) Chiefs game as my son's 1st baseball game. I had red t-shirts made up that said "Jacob's First baseball Game" inside a baseball logo on the front. On the back on my dad's it said "Jacob's Grandpa", mine said "Jacob's Dad" and my son's said "Jacob". The put us on the jumbotron, and it was pretty cool.

We're doing the same thing in Febuary(sp?) at a Peoria Riverman hockey game (big hockey fan). I'm gonna get t-shirts made up again.

In the summer, we're doing the same thing with "Jacob's First Cardinal game", as we head to St. Louis.

My dad, myself, and my son do quite a bit of stuff together. "The B Boys" as we call ourselves. It's ridiculous, I know.

NC? Well, I guess you guys are having SB parties all week, huh?

=======================
Last edited by: TripleThreat: Jan 27, 04 15:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
North Dallas 40

Breaking Away

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Sports movies? [Keith Miller] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Blue Crush"????? That had some of the worst acting I have ever seen and most anything on the Fuel channel is better than that. Though it certainly made me want to move back to Hawaii.

My favorites are -
Endurance
Sunday in Hell
La Course en Tete (don't watch the crashes before you go out on the bike)

I was paid to be an extra in Breaking Away while in college but thankfully they paid in advance and I was a no show (I wasn't the only one since rather than having a full house they wound up moving one section of crowd around the stadium to shoot the scenes). Despite the free money I still think it's a pretty bad movie, good only by comparison with the very cheesy American Flyers (though I believe there was some gratuitous nudity in that one which is always a plus).
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Sports movies? [mises] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm a big boxing fan and one day while downloading some boxing clips, I cam across this fight between 2 cyclists. It has to be one of the funniest/pathetic things I have ever seen. Anyone seen it?

I don't know what they were fighting about, but the action itself is the stuff 3rd grade cat fights are made of. Classic.

=======================
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Sports movies? [Keith Miller] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Do you want this.....this" as JCVD kicks bamboo tree (kickboxer)

"You....are next" Chong-Li, in Bloodsport

I need to back up the Vision Quest supporter above. Great flix. Maybe you had to wrestle to appreciate. Definitely about endurance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seabiscuit - It's a story of triumph. Heartfelt victory, very motivational.
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Sports movies? [Schonner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How about Caddyshack? Kind of showing it's age, but I still laugh when Bill Murray picks up the Baby Ruth and eats it, after cleaning out the pool. Oh, that's right, golf isn't really a sport.........
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One Crazy Summer

Ok just kidding.

How about Revenge of the Nerds? I think the Adams College Greek Festival counts as sport. They had a javelin throw and belching competition. And a bike race.

Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Sports movies? [mises] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you were watching "Blue Crush" for the acting, you are totally missing the point!!

"Caddyshack" getting old?????? I would wager they could re-release it tomorrow and it would be the number one movie next weekend, but then again, "gambling is illegal at Bushwood..."

Also can't go wrong with "Bend it Like Beckham".

"Victory" is also pretty darn good, with Sly and Micheal Caine, POW's plot an escape during WWII by playing a "football" match and escaping through the hot-tub, but Pele convinces them to play the second half, they win...blah blah...live happily ever after.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"I'm a big boxing fan "

You know sometimes people die boxing. Do you think of anyone but yourself?

kidding. I am a massive fan of the sweet science. I love watching the cruiser and light wieght classes. Heavywieght are just getting more and more boring.

Ultimate Fighting is starting to get good now that it is getting it's legs.

Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Sports movies? [Mr. Tibbs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LOL.

I'm a middleweight guy. In my youth (80s) that was the division ... unless you think Michael Dokes and Greg Page (heavies) were great champions. =)

Hagler, Hearns, Leonard, Mugabi, ... I could talk boxing forever. I could talk forever .... it gets more shocking every minute, huh?

=======================
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When your friends are over and you wanna get the chicks out of the kitchen. Start talking Sugar Ray (not the band from hell) and presto "Hey where did the wives go?"

Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Sports movies? [Mr. Tibbs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does cowboying count? "8 seconds" was great! Watched it with the kids last week and really enjoyed it.
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Sports movies? [TJ56] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Does cowboying count?"

Dude I live in Dallas. Show me a bull rider and I'll show you a man who is tougher than the bull he rides. Rodeo forever.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What? Nobody has mentioned the Karate Kid?!?!?
Sure it's a Rocky knockoff (same director), but who can forget "Wax on. Wax off," and the tournament at the end?
Don't tell me you've never tried to do that kick that Daniel-san pulls off at the end to win the championship.
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Sports movies? [tucker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Vision Quest rocks! But, yeah, few converts outside of the wrestling crowd. It's so well done, that if you've ever had contact with the sport, certain parts just give you goose bumps. I still use Lunatic Fringe as my "warm up" music.

I recently saw Wind (about the Americas Cup)...also stars Matthew Modine, incidentally. Very good from a "struggle to get back to the top" view point.

Other greats: American Anthem (very 80's), Breaking Away, Bull Durham, Caddyshack, Chariots of Fire, Rocky, Slapshot, Takedown (hysterical!)...too many to name!
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Sports movies? [Old man driving] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah! Caddyshack! Even my kids laugh....

Read today that they are doing a remake of the old Burt Reynolds movie "The Longest Yard" with Adam Sandler playing the lead. Hmmmm.

I still remember seeing "Paper Lion" with my Dad when I was little and always had an admiration for the late George Plimpton after that.

Prev Next