Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Atom 6 Tri bike (local brand)
Quote | Reply
I'm searching to buy a new Tri bike (my first real Tri bike, except a modified race bike with tri extensions) and I'd like to have a disc brake model. There aren't many models in Europe or they aren't easy to ship to here. (import taxes etc)

At the moment I have 3 options: Cervelo P5 Disc (available soon), Parlee TTIR and local brand(s). Does anyone have experience with local brands or is it better to buy from "big brands"? The brand I found is Atom 6 and it's based in Belgium. They have a disc brake TT/TRI version available, unfortunately there is no wind tunnel test data available at the moment. The bike can be fully customized when buying, everything is an option. In the end this is much cheaper and fully customized to my needs, pictures are attached.

I'm planning on going to check their factory/shop to find more details but wanted to check if anyone had experience with non commercial brands?
Last edited by: kdl2493: Jan 30, 19 1:41
Quote Reply
Re: Atom 6 Tri bike (local brand) [kdl2493] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That looks like an open mind chinese frame. Not necessarily bad, but not the fastest thing. Why not Canyon? (Asssuming you're in Europe) Does the import tax make a Premier Tactical too expensive? Cause that's got all the bells and whistles.

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Atom 6 Tri bike (local brand) [gmh39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Canyon is very accessible in Europe, I would have to wait max. 4 weeks te deliver it at my door. There is no disc brake version which holds me back at the moment, they should bring a disc brake version I think by the end of this year as all major companies do.

Would a rim brake version be a deal breaker for most people?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kdl2493 wrote:
I'm searching to buy a new Tri bike (my first real Tri bike, except a modified race bike with tri extensions) and I'd like to have a disc brake model. There aren't many models in Europe or they aren't easy to ship to here. (import taxes etc)

At the moment I have 3 options: Cervelo P5 Disc (available soon), Parlee TTIR and local brand(s). Does anyone have experience with local brands or is it better to buy from "big brands"? The brand I found is Atom 6 and it's based in Belgium. They have a disc brake TT/TRI version available, unfortunately there is no wind tunnel test data available at the moment. The bike can be fully customized when buying, everything is an option. In the end this is much cheaper and fully customized to my needs, pictures are attached.

I'm in a similar position as you, namely looking for a new disc brake tri bike, but I'm not in a rush. You could add Quintana Roo to your list: PR six, five and four all come in disc versions, so you have less premium options available than with Cervelo or Parlee, and available in Europe. The Atom frame is the same as what Dolan showed in November at the UK bike show. AFAIK there are no reviews out on this frame, aero and frame quality are very much unknown at this stage.

Even if Cervelo do show something soon within your price range, I'd be impressed if they had sufficient stock, it might take some time before you can actually ride it. So if you're desperate to have a new bike by March, say, then QR would be a sensible option. All reviews I've read are pretty positive (comfort, speed, build) about the PR series even if the frame design is a few years old.

Wait six months and you'll have plenty more options, alas...
Last edited by: SteveMc: Jan 30, 19 4:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I chose not to wait for the disc brake version of the specialized shiv. Will you be quicker on a disc brake? Yes in wet conditions and you will win a few minutes in a technical descent. Dry weather and a flat to hilly course absolutely not.

I am not a FOP triathlete but I do however sort of regret not waiting for the disc version but only for the reason wanting to have the latest and the greatest. If you can't wait then don't if you can I would choose to wait.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It looks like a chinese open mould (or shared mould at least). Notthing wrong with that, except that you usually pay too much. Importing yourself would be cheaper.

I'm in the same spot as you are. I'm at a 10sp open mould tri bike (with shitty TRP rear-brake) at the moment and love to switch to 11sp di2. Upgrading my current bike would be a hassle (new wheels, new groupset, same shitty brakes, etc.). I'm in The Netherlands by the way.

I'm looking at the new open mould from Hongfu:

http://www.hongfu-bikes.com/html_Products/Time_Trail_Frame/2016/1025/2019-full-carbon-TT-Frame-306.html

Got disc brakes and is the disc version of the tm-109 (TM6), also know as the avenger TM06.

I'm in The Netherlands by the way, send me a pm if you are to and would consider going the Hongfu-route. Buying together might be cheaper.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kdl2493 wrote:
Canyon is very accessible in Europe, I would have to wait max. 4 weeks te deliver it at my door. There is no disc brake version which holds me back at the moment, they should bring a disc brake version I think by the end of this year as all major companies do.

Would a rim brake version be a deal breaker for most people?

Maybe you could try Ă  bloc in Beernem (40km from the Atom6 bike store), they sell QR with disc brakes (custom build possible I think, not 100% sure)

Team Zoot Europe
Quote Reply
Re: Atom 6 Tri bike (local brand) [Kaniman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1 for http://www.a-bloc.be if you're located in Belgium/Netherlands

I just bought a QR PR5 rim frameset and had it built up with parts of my old bike.
Friendly and tri-passionate staff, offers custom build options
Quote Reply
Re: Atom 6 Tri bike (local brand) [stevededoncker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How do the QR PR series feel on the road? How's the performance, road stifness, .. ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kdl2493 wrote:
How do the QR PR series feel on the road? How's the performance, road stifness, .. ?

Haven’t rode it outside yet due to inclement weather here in Belgium.
Up until now just Kickr indoor sessions (max was like 90min), feels great so far (have been fitted by the owner).
Relatively high stack suits my flexibility. BB does not flex when standing, at least I dont feel a difference (was on a 2012 Cervelo before).

I believe road feel is mainly dictated by tires/tubes and tire pressure.
I run vittoria open corsa 23” on a wide rim wheel.

I’m no FOP athlete, just an AG doing tri for fun
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kdl2493 wrote:

I'm planning on going to check their factory/shop to find more details but wanted to check if anyone had experience with non commercial brands?

Note: I am sponsored by Parlee so keep that in mind.

I have ridden a lot of TT bikes in the last few years, to name a few:
- BMC TM01
- Giant Trinity (new model and old model)
- Dimond
- Cannondale Slice hi-mod and RS
- Cervelo P5 and P3

I can safely say that the Parlee TTiR rides better than any TT bike I’ve ever been on. I can’t comment on aero as I don’t have the data but my n = 1 is it’s fast. Where it shines though is the ride quality, quite awesome really. Now, perhaps I’m looking through rose coloured lenses but I am more than happy to stick by that comment and as such it’s definitely a bike to consider for European racing especially IMO.

Coach at Scientific Triathlon
http://www.scientifictriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: Atom 6 Tri bike (local brand) [ljkerin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
not sponsored by Parlee... but I got the TTir this past year. Not many rides under the belt but feels very comfortable and fast.. coming from a rim brake BMC TM01. Hoping to set some bike leg PR's this year.
Quote Reply
Re: Atom 6 Tri bike (local brand) [ljkerin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The TTiR is a really nice looking bike, too, especially in person.
Quote Reply