Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

CALF Cramps!!
Quote | Reply
My calves have a tendency to cramp during the run, HIM distance. Near debilitating cramps where you can barely walk. I feel it coming on during the bike (for instance if I stop at an aid station, during the push off to get started again)

Most of the run is fine until the final couple of miles... I will feel the cramp start to ripple through my calf. I am confident hydration, electrolytes are not an issue. I believe it is MUSCULAR fatigue.

Getting ready for my first full IM....

- am I correct that it is muscular fatigue?
- if yes, looking for suggestions on how to best strengthen my calves.
Quote Reply
Re: CALF Cramps!! [tritexas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would also look into bike fit issues and cleat placement. You shouldn't be engaging the calves too much while on the bike.. Well not to the point of failure

What's your CdA?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How new to you to this distance? Do you get cramps on long hard training rides? It can be fatigue! Is it more common on swim/bike efforts? Make sure to occasionally dorsiflex your feet during the swim.
Most on here will tell you it is salt. Personally, I only cramp when I have gone too hard too long.
Yes, have your bike fit checked too.

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Re: CALF Cramps!! [Karl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
4th HIM.... over a ~5yr period, will be first full this April.
Typically don't get them during training rides... occasionally I will feel a twinge toward the end/ after a long hard ride. (doesn't seem to be swim related)

Thanks for the input!

Best way to beat the fatigue? More training/ back off some in the race?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Most of us need a limiter. Know your FTP (power) and what you can sustain for your race and still be able to run.
This is not easy, but is part of training.
Yes, you can use heart rate too or instead. You can use PE if you know yourself well.

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Re: CALF Cramps!! [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a exact same problem, and Hotshot solve the problem for me. I take it two times in T1 and T2 at 70.3. Just one before or after the swim when I do Sprint or Olympic. I've heard nothing but good things about CrampsAWAY gel, so I'm going to try that one as well. I have another friend who was getting cramps during long bike rides, but he doesn't have that problem anymore after I introduced him to Hotshot. Try it. You will like it.
Quote Reply