Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Zwift / slowman: video add is super annoying!
Quote | Reply
This new zwift running add with embedded video is VERY annoying. It automatically kills any other media I might be playing. I was trying to listen to the joshatsilca podcast. Everytime the add would come up, the podcast would pause while the video played. Then I had to switch back to the podcast to restart it.

Couldn't you just use an animated GIF? SERIOUSLY. it's like a 3 second clip.

Grrrr...
Last edited by: Tom_hampton: Jan 26, 19 5:16
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift / slowman: video add is super annoying! [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's even on this page!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And it is a major CPU sucker and computer performance drag too. Just going to the ST website instantly pegs one of my CPU cores to 100%. This is awful. I cannot leave a browser open on the ST website without slowing down my entire computer.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift / slowman: video add is super annoying! [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fortunately, on Android it only plays through once and then stops. But still.... I find autoplaying video adds to be VERY BAD FORM. pisses me off on EVERY website I go to that has them. Especially when they force load the video before the content.

I usually vote with my clicks and never return to such places.

Animated gifs can often be worse for cpu usage though. Typically hw acceleration doesn't work for those.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agree, and there is something seriously jacked up. I just clicked the ST home page, and there were three instances of the video ad running simultaneously on three different areas of the home page.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
Agree, and there is something seriously jacked up. I just clicked the ST home page, and there were three instances of the video ad running simultaneously on three different areas of the home page.

I use Opera (browser) and never see any of the stuff you guys are describing. Perhaps give it a try...it's quite good at blocking annoying internet bullshit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah I was going to mention this as well. Especially annoying on android where it gives a pop-up notification that chrome is playing sound even if my phone is muted and I don't hear it. I'm not OCD about much but man do I hate having notifications up on my phone.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift / slowman: video add is super annoying! [STJ_2028] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've used opera in the past. I prefer chrome. I don't begrudge advertising content, or the need to monetize this site. I appreciate the willingness of advertisers to subsidize my addiction to this forum. Heck sometimes I even click on the adds in case Dan makes money per click.

But, I draw the line at hogging my cpu or bandwidth and intrusions into my space.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You guys will have to wait until after the weekend to get some action on this, Dan is currently hosting the TBI conference in Tempe, and has his hands full at the moment. But it is something that concerns him, so thanks for bringing it to the forefront..
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift / slowman: video add is super annoying! [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the heads up, Monty. I already believed that Dan cared. That's why I bothered to comment. I'll be patient.

I've got SBR shit to go do anyway
Last edited by: Tom_hampton: Jan 26, 19 9:11
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift / slowman: video add is super annoying! [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is me, lol. I was trying to figure out why my Volume symbol showed up at the top of my phone. I get paranoid the government is watching 🤫. This thread gives a light to the real reason of that symbol though.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift / slowman: video add is super annoying! [imr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is this really the site zwift feels it needs to be blasting ads? unbelievable

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift / slowman: video add is super annoying! [timr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
timr wrote:
I get paranoid the government is watching 🤫.

They are.

If your browser supports it, try uBlock Origin ad blocker extension. If you want to support this site by allowing its advertising, you can whitelist it.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift / slowman: video add is super annoying! [STJ_2028] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
STJ_2028 wrote:
exxxviii wrote:

I use Opera (browser) and never see any of the stuff you guys are describing. Perhaps give it a try...it's quite good at blocking annoying internet bullshit.

It might only be you and me. I switched my STing to Opera because it pegged my CPU on the others, and it was very clear because on my laptop that meant the fan started. Opera is a wonderful and underrated browser.

Oh and video can just DIAF as far as I'm concerned. I got off Twitter when they started embedding videos. Nothing like going for a quick scroll through updates and having some twit's video stop my podcast until I go back and restart it. With no way to have videos muted (or better yet, not play) by default, that was that.

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift / slowman: video add is super annoying! [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know the original animated Zwift ad is gone. But, there is something else going on with the website that is pegging one of my CPU cores at 100%. Just having the website opened on my browser constantly causes my computer fan to run. If I close the tab with Slowtwitch, then the fan shuts off and CPU returns to normal.

Operating System: Windows 10
Browser: Microsoft Edge
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
I know the original animated Zwift ad is gone. But, there is something else going on with the website that is pegging one of my CPU cores at 100%. Just having the website opened on my browser constantly causes my computer fan to run. If I close the tab with Slowtwitch, then the fan shuts off and CPU returns to normal.

Operating System: Windows 10
Browser: Microsoft Edge

i'm alerting jordan to this. however i can't replicate it. as i write this right now my CPU is operating at 7.5% of capacity. as i navigate around the site, including to pages where the zwift animation is running, and i cause the animation to run on 2 different ad units simultaneously on the same page, doesn't move the CPU usage. i'm running an imac with high sierra.

when i navigate around the web, i see pretty much no difference in the CPU load when on other sites i visit versus slowtwitch, whether the main site or the forum. however, i don't dispute your experience. anything else you can say that might allow me to replicate this i'm eager to hear.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift / slowman: video add is super annoying! [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is not as bad now as it was a little bit ago, but it is still high. This is my screen shot with ST the only thing open and active on my computer. The CPU will fluctuate between 7% and 15% now. Before it was around 20% or higher.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
It is not as bad now as it was a little bit ago, but it is still high. This is my screen shot with ST the only thing open and active on my computer. The CPU will fluctuate between 7% and 15% now. Before it was around 20% or higher.

i'm not the IT guy around here, but what happens when you go to other websites?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift / slowman: video add is super annoying! [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good thinking, and yeah, this would be a tough one to track down. It is back up again around 15% to 20%. I would bet anything it is ad related. For comparison, CNN settles in at around 3% to 5%. Macrumors bounces around 2% - 3%.

When I am on ST in the "Reply to post" page with no ads at the top or sides, it is around 3%.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
Good thinking, and yeah, this would be a tough one to track down. It is back up again around 15% to 20%. I would bet anything it is ad related. For comparison, CNN settles in at around 3% to 5%. Macrumors bounces around 2% - 3%.

When I am on ST in the "Reply to post" page with no ads at the top or sides, it is around 3%.

here's the tough one. this is my last ask. if you see it spike, and you can tell me what ad is running, that would help. we JUST brought a new ad network on board. if i knew what ad was running when the spike happened then i'd know what network might be causing this.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply