Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Retrieving snapped alu rivet from inside a door [MOP_Mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I saw some tubing yesterday my wife had snd was wondering if I could rig something

Top idea
Quote Reply
Re: Retrieving snapped alu rivet from inside a door [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:
I saw some tubing yesterday my wife had snd was wondering if I could rig something

Top idea

The master sprinkler shutoff valve at my house is buried at the bottom of a 1.5m deep x 10cm diameter PVC access pipe to protect it from freezing in the winter. In the Fall, we shut off the system and blow the water out; in the Spring we open the valve again. A long T-Handle "curb valve key" is used to access the valve.

One year, the 4-yo kid next door apparently decided that it would be fun to drop rocks into the PVC pipe. I go to access the valve and find that I can't seem to turn it. Check with a flashlight, and find that the valve is covered in rocks.

@*^%$#!!!

First, I tried to just vacuum out the rocks with a shop vac, but they were too heavy to get sucked up. So, I Macgyver'd a shop vac/duct tape/tubing tool and fished the rocks out one at a time as they stuck to the bottom of the tube via suction.

Congratulations on your rivet victory.

"100% of the people who confuse correlation and causation end up dying."
Last edited by: MOP_Mike: Jan 26, 19 11:24
Quote Reply
Re: Retrieving snapped alu rivet from inside a door [MOP_Mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MOP_Mike wrote:
rick_pcfl wrote:
Yes, I was joking. I know a magnet won't work.... It will stick to everything and you won't be able to get it down to find the rivet. :)

See post #8. A magnet on a flexible stick would actually work pretty well. If you can invent one that will attract aluminum, you'll become a billionaire and likely win a Nobel price in physics. :-)
Rivets are aluminum and won’t stick to a magnet. Maybe a vacuum funneled down into a small flexible tube that can fit in there.
Quote Reply
Re: Retrieving snapped alu rivet from inside a door [Dirt fighter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dirt fighter wrote:
MOP_Mike wrote:
rick_pcfl wrote:
Yes, I was joking. I know a magnet won't work.... It will stick to everything and you won't be able to get it down to find the rivet. :)

See post #8. A magnet on a flexible stick would actually work pretty well. If you can invent one that will attract aluminum, you'll become a billionaire and likely win a Nobel price in physics. :-)

Rivets are aluminum and won’t stick to a magnet. Maybe a vacuum funneled down into a small flexible tube that can fit in there.

That's a common misconception - you need to get the special aluminum magnet. Ask for it at your local hardware store. They're a little hard to find, and a lot of salespeople don't know about them, so you have to be persistent. If they tell you they don't have them and that they know of no such thing, ask to speak to the manager or some of the other salespeople. Stick with it and you'll eventually find one!
Quote Reply
Re: Retrieving snapped alu rivet from inside a door [eb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eb wrote:
Dirt fighter wrote:
MOP_Mike wrote:
rick_pcfl wrote:

That's a common misconception - you need to get the special aluminum magnet. Ask for it at your local hardware store. They're a little hard to find, and a lot of salespeople don't know about them, so you have to be persistent. If they tell you they don't have them and that they know of no such thing, ask to speak to the manager or some of the other salespeople. Stick with it and you'll eventually find one!

Exactly. They pretend like you're stupid, but you have to let them know that you're on to their tricks. When I went to get one, the police eventually had to show up and settle things, but they were in on the trick too, so it didn't go the way I had hoped.
Quote Reply
Re: Retrieving snapped alu rivet from inside a door [eb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
While you are at the hardware store, you can also pick up a left-handed crescent wrench and a board stretcher.
Quote Reply
Re: Retrieving snapped alu rivet from inside a door [nosmo king] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nosmo king wrote:
While you are at the hardware store, you can also pick up a left-handed crescent wrench and a board stretcher.

Yep! Just be careful that they don't sell you a metric Crescent wrench by mistake. That would be bad.
Quote Reply
Re: Retrieving snapped alu rivet from inside a door [nosmo king] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nosmo king wrote:

Don't forget the blinker fluid and bottle of steam for your car.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Re: Retrieving snapped alu rivet from inside a door [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And you should definitely pick up a long stand whilst you are there. Its similar to asking for a long wait...... I mean weight
Quote Reply
Re: Retrieving snapped alu rivet from inside a door [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:
And you should definitely pick up a long stand whilst you are there. Its similar to asking for a long wait...... I mean weight

Is that the opposite of a short tonne

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply

Prev Next