Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Quarq Dzero and strava app
Quote | Reply
Just got a quarq dzero for my gravel bike and im having issues recording power using the strava app on my iPhone 8 Plus. At the start of a ride strava sees my heart rate monitor (records perfectly) and the dzero but it only records power (and cadence) very sporadically, like 90% of the ride it doesn't record. I also have Assimoa Duos and have no issues using strava with them. I have deleted all saved power meters on the strata app and only have the dzero in there now and did didn't change anything. Anyone else having issues with this. I like to use my iPhone as a backup for my wahoo bolt and so far haven't been able to figure this issue out. Ive contacted Quarq support to see if this is a known issue and its been almost a week so figured I'd ask here.

Also, I can pair with the dzero using the Qalvin BLE app without issue.
Quote Reply
Re: Quarq Dzero and strava app [Tifosi01] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Could the Quarq be paired to another device by chance, like a Garmin. That could interfere with your connection.

Human Person
Quote Reply
Re: Quarq Dzero and strava app [trismitty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The quarq is paired to my Wahoo but that is ant+ so shouldn’t be interfering with the phone.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would double check that. The Wahoo picks up ant and bluetooth. It may be defaulting to blue.

Human Person
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trismitty wrote:
I would double check that. The Wahoo picks up ant and bluetooth. It may be defaulting to blue.
Im assuming that it doesn't matter how many devices are recording off the same signal, but I did check and the Wahoo is paired by Ant+ only
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This doesn't sound like your exact issue, since you are able to get some power numbers to your phone, but you may want to update your firmware anyway as the Dzero has had known issues with BT.

https://www.quarq.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/SIB20161215_Quarq_DZero_BLE_update_rev_3a.pdf
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With Bluetooth, you’re limited to 2 connections per source.

Human Person
Quote Reply
Re: Quarq Dzero and strava app [Jason N] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jason N wrote:
This doesn't sound like your exact issue, since you are able to get some power numbers to your phone, but you may want to update your firmware anyway as the Dzero has had known issues with BT.

https://www.quarq.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/SIB20161215_Quarq_DZero_BLE_update_rev_3a.pdf

Thanks, I’ll try that
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trismitty wrote:
With Bluetooth, you’re limited to 2 connections per source.

Right, but I should be able to read the quarq with as many Bluetooth devices since they’re only displaying what’s being transmitted by the source
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe I’m punchy today, but I don’t think that’s right. Once your source hits 2 connected devices, it’s at capacity. To get readings from a 3rd, you would need to drop one of the previous 2.

Human Person
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trismitty wrote:
Maybe I’m punchy today, but I don’t think that’s right. Once your source hits 2 connected devices, it’s at capacity. To get readings from a 3rd, you would need to drop one of the previous 2.

Well either way that’s not my issue as the Wahoo is connected via ant+ and the phone is the only device reading the Bluetooth transmission from the quarq and I don’t have this issue when I’m using my Assioma Duos
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trismitty wrote:

Ok, I just tried to connect multiple phones to the quarq and I could only actually get one to connect at each time, so it appears you are correct, my apologizes, my assumption was incorrect.

Edit-I just tried to use the Qalvin app and it couldn’t find the quarq.....I had the strava app open and it was showing that the quarq was connected in strava. Once I closed strava and opened the Qalvin app again and hit search it found it right away.

Seems strange to me that I can’t connect to it through the Qalvin app if I have strava open but if I forget the quarq in strava and close the app and open Qalvin and connect and then open the strava app again it shows it as connected in strava right away.

My normal routine before riding is to do a zero offset through the Qalvin app and then load up strava and headout. I can’t for sure say that I closed the Qalvin app before starting strava and perhaps that is interfering with strava’s ability to record power?
Last edited by: Tifosi01: Jan 25, 19 13:45
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just curious...why do all of that with your phone when you have the wahoo sitting right there? The wahoo can do all of that stuff and is far more battery-efficient than running strava on your phone.
Quote Reply
Re: Quarq Dzero and strava app [cleeland] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cleeland wrote:
Just curious...why do all of that with your phone when you have the wahoo sitting right there? The wahoo can do all of that stuff and is far more battery-efficient than running strava on your phone.

I like to have a backup....today is a good example, forgot to charge my wahoo and it died 3/4 through my ride so Ive always used my phone as a failsafe. Plus even after 4 hours rides my phone's battery is only down to maybe 80% so not an issue
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just a little update

So today I went out and this time I did my zero offset with the Wahoo and made sure all other apps were closed except strava on my iPhone and still the same issues. When I got home I went around the neighborhood with only the iPhone and again 90% of the ride showed no power.
Looking over Quarq’s Dzero tech article they mention a specific issue with updating firmware using an iPhone 8, 8 Plus and X so I wonder if there is an issue with Bluetooth using those devices?
It’s frustrating as the Assioma’s work flawlessly but can’t use those with my gravel shoes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quarq got back to me and are suggesting that the issue could be with Strava or the Bluetooth receiver in iPhone 8/X’s. So my next step is to ask if anyone who has an iPhone, I’m using an 8 Plus so that’s be great if someone with the same model could do this, can just test and see if their quarq will record a quick spin on their strava app, thanks
Quote Reply