Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: End of shutdown - FAA issues ground halt at LGA [tigermilk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have taken 6 flights the past week and every fucking one was delayed. 10 hours was the longest i was held up but i sat in the Laguardia airport for 5 hours bored out of my mind at the airport bar and heard quite a bit of talk about how much trump was ruining everyone's day.

Oddly enough all the tsa lines were incredibly short.

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Quote Reply
Re: End of shutdown - FAA issues ground halt at LGA [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
BLeP wrote:
echappist wrote:
Apparently, federal civil servants cannot even contemplate to strike...

Thought crime?

not per se, but close; from 5 U.S.C. 7311

Quote:

An individual may not accept or hold a position in the Government of the United States or the government of the District of Columbia if he—
(1)
advocates the overthrow of our constitutional form of government;
(2)
is a member of an organization that he knows advocates the overthrow of our constitutional form of government;
(3)
participates in a strike, or asserts the right to strike, against the Government of the United States or the government of the District of Columbia; or
(4)
is a member of an organization of employees of the Government of the United States or of individuals employed by the government of the District of Columbia that he knows asserts the right to strike against the Government of the United States or the government of the District of Columbia.

How the hell are ANY federal employees unionized then per 4?
Quote Reply
Re: End of shutdown - FAA issues ground halt at LGA [veganerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
veganerd wrote:
I have taken 6 flights the past week and every fucking one was delayed. 10 hours was the longest i was held up but i sat in the Laguardia airport for 5 hours bored out of my mind at the airport bar and heard quite a bit of talk about how much trump was ruining everyone's day.

That's just flying through LGA had nothing to do with the shutdown. Also flying this time of year is asking to be delayed
Quote Reply
Re: End of shutdown - FAA issues ground halt at LGA [veganerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
veganerd wrote:

Flew through PHL and BOS last Monday/Tuesday and the TSA lines were the shortest I've ever seen them (nobody in line ahead of me at PHL, and a couple people at BOS). No flight delays either, thankfully.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
BLeP wrote:
echappist wrote:

Thought crime?

Quote:

An individual may not accept or hold a position in the Government of the United States or the government of the District of Columbia if he—
(1)
(2)
is a member of an organization that he knows advocates the overthrow of our constitutional form of government;
(3)
participates in a strike, or asserts the right to strike, against the Government of the United States or the government of the District of Columbia; or
(4)
is a member of an organization of employees of the Government of the United States or of individuals employed by the government of the District of Columbia that he knows asserts the right to strike against the Government of the United States or the government of the District of Columbia.

Or, maybe a discreet conference call was made to some union chiefs from Chuck and Mitch on the subject of excusing absences.
Quote Reply
Re: End of shutdown - FAA issues ground halt at LGA [turtleherder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
turtleherder wrote:
Isn't Laguardia tRumps airport in New York?

I took this while waiting to take off

Quote Reply
Re: End of shutdown - FAA issues ground halt at LGA [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
veganerd wrote:

That's just flying through LGA had nothing to do with the shutdown. Also flying this time of year is asking to be delayed

Yeah one of my delays was due to weather but the others were a shit shows. Even the weather delay was apparently compounded because of short staffing due to the shutdown. At least that was the explanation given.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
echappist wrote:
BLeP wrote:
echappist wrote:

Thought crime?

Quote:

(1)
(2)
(3)
(4)

b/c non of the fed unions advocate for striking?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
windywave wrote:
echappist wrote:
BLeP wrote:
echappist wrote:

Thought crime?

Quote:

(1)
(2)
(3)
(4)

b/c non of the fed unions advocate for striking?

That just makes them impotent and useless
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
it's not the only way fed unions get de-clawed and de-fanged, but unless someone repeals Taft Hartley or if it gets declared unconstitutional, it's a non-starter and a moot point

what most don't realize is that the fed unions still do perform quite a bit of other duties that are important.

while on the topic of Taft Hartley, it was written during another time and under a different political climate. Red Scare was just getting started, and labor unions (in general) had quite a bit of power. Very different from today's situation for labor.
Quote Reply
Re: End of shutdown - FAA issues ground halt at LGA [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WelshinPhilly wrote:
veganerd wrote:

Flew through PHL and BOS last Monday/Tuesday and the TSA lines were the shortest I've ever seen them (nobody in line ahead of me at PHL, and a couple people at BOS). No flight delays either, thankfully.

Wait times in DTW were less than 10 minutes on the busiest of days. Nothing unusual, in other words. But I know for a fact that the regional director for TSA (we were managers together at Northwest Airlines and he got smart and jumped ship for TSA a year or so after it was stood up) moved about 250 uniformed TSA screeners from much less trafficked airports and placed them as backstops at the bigger and heavier facilities. Plus, he had the plainclothes security inspectors (they're not sworn law enforcement officers) staffing the security checkpoints and screening bags, too.

That ground stop thing in New York goes on plenty of times in a year, by the way, whenever flight traffic in that corridor gets too thick. No doubt today's was due to blue flu on the part of ATC folks, however, and the optics of it looked pretty bad, especially after their union and the airline pilots union, ALPA, issued a letter saying that flight safety was going to become more compromised as the shutdown wore on.

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply

Prev Next