Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Magic5 goggles [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
They come with a nice case
---

In all my years of swimming, I've never seen anyone actually use a case for goggles. It's either toss them in the locker or toss them in a bag. What's the point of a goggle case?

—-
Yeah, no one is buying these for the case but it’s nicer than any goggle case I’ve ever had in the past so I’m going to try to use it. 🤷🏻‍♂️ I also think it’s one of those nice subtle things that goes with the premium price tag. Like all of the fancy Apple unboxing experiences, it’s a nice touch. But I do wonder if they could have knock off another $5-10 if they didn’t send it to you with the case. 🤔

YouTube
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
I keep a couple of “nice” pairs of goggles for race day, with lenses that aren’t all scratched and beat to hell.
---

I've tried that in the past (sans case). What I've learned through the years is that I like to race in the pair that I currently train in. They seem to be more 'dialed in' to my current levels of comfort and expectation. When I've kept a special pair just for racing, that's when I've had goggle malfunction. The training goggles seem to have more trust come race day.

why is that? different style, or just differences in setup?

with swedes, I've gotten pretty good at tying the nose bridge so it's exactly the same on every pair of goggles I own, and since the time this thread was originally posted I've switched to bungee straps with a barrel adjuster on them. plus there's no gasket to compress over time, so every pair fits exactly the same.

I've been using my current swedes (the non-mirrored pair that come in the Speedo swede 2-pack) for about 3 weeks now, and the antifog on them is fantastic. Swimming fly, the water just beads right off, making it really easy to spot the wall for turns.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Magic5 goggles [JackStraw13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JackStraw13 wrote:
How’s their anti fog?

Works totally fine, but l tend to use a coating of saliva and a quick rinse anyway ...

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: Magic5 goggles [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

---

A couple of reasons:
-I don't use swedes and do use Vanquishers
-I think the contours of my face change a little bit over time. Perhaps it's due to weight changes. Perhaps it's due to skin elasticity. My current goggles are dialed in to my current face
-I think my preferences for how tight I like the straps change over time. Current goggles match those preferences.

Any time I go to a different pair of goggles (older or newer, doesn't matter), they just feel different. It's like putting on an old pair of running shoes. They were once excellent but now they've somehow changed. Goggles are like that for me.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:

---

A couple of reasons:
-I don't use swedes and do use Vanquishers
-I think the contours of my face change a little bit over time. Perhaps it's due to weight changes. Perhaps it's due to skin elasticity. My current goggles are dialed in to my current face
-I think my preferences for how tight I like the straps change over time. Current goggles match those preferences.

Any time I go to a different pair of goggles (older or newer, doesn't matter), they just feel different. It's like putting on an old pair of running shoes. They were once excellent but now they've somehow changed. Goggles are like that for me.

back when I used vanquishers, and then speed sockets, I noticed that the fit definitely changed as the goggles aged and the seals compressed. I think it's more likely that the goggles change than your face. I could see the difference visually. Vanquishers are also more sensitive to strap tension too. swedes need almost nothing, the strap doesn't provide the pressure for suction on your eye sockets. they're just tight enough to keep them from falling off your face, whereas other styles need enough pressure to deform the seal. I haven't used the magic5's but that's the appeal of them, that the pressure needed to deform the seal is greatly reduced since it already fits the contours of your eyes.

you might want to try, if you haven't already, some of the newer Speedo goggles, like the speed socket 2.0's they've changed the seal to a 3d fit, so they should conform to the contours of your eyes better out of the box.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: Magic5 goggles [sonofdad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Easily best goggles I've ever used by far. I've had mine for a month or so. Excited to use them. Zero leak and zero fog. Love them! I just bought another - the Ben Kanute LE using that slowtwitch20 discount.
Quote Reply
Re: Magic5 goggles [Tri2win352] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just ordered and pair and did the scan. Now the waiting begins.
Quote Reply
Re: Magic5 goggles [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got in during their initial Kickstarter campaign a year or two ago. I tried them once and then put them away because I was using Zone3 goggles and loved them.

I decided to pull them out and try them the last few months and WOW, simply amazing. I can keep the headband much looser than a normal pair of goggles, reduces headaches after 2 miles swimming, and they definitely don't leak at all. The only "drawback" I notice is that I can't see quite as well off to the sides because of they way they are shaped to fit my eyes, but overall I'm extremely impressed.

Ryne "TheMohawk" Hoover
Founder and CEO of The Mohawk Foundation, a 501(c)(3) charity
Raising funds for breast cancer and ALS research through endurance sports
Sponsored by: Rudy Project, INFINIT Nutrition, Brooks Running, MyBikeShop.com, TriTats, TriDot, T-Blocks, Wicked Audio, Zealios and Zone3. WE NOW SELL AIR RELAX! MESSAGE ME FOR YOUR BEST PRICE!
RyneHoover@TheMohawkFoundation.org
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've used these goggles for the past two years, and I can't imagine going back to speedo or arena. It feels like I'm not wearing any goggles, and the vision is great.
I had some issues with the fit at first, but after contacting them, they've been nothing but helpful, and altered the fit, and now they're perfect!

Can only recommend them!!
Quote Reply
Re: Magic5 goggles [lasseskovrup] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm thinking about giving them a shot... I've been using the Roka R1s the last couple of seasons. They sometimes leak which does bug me... but the sighting vision with the R1s "rapidsight" is pretty amazing when they don't leak.

How is sighting with the Magic5's? Specifically does anyone have comparative experience between the Roka R1s and the Magic5's?

If they don't leak and the sighting is really good... I think I'm in.
Quote Reply
Re: Magic5 goggles [xeon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven't used the Rokas myself, but the vision is honestly so great on TheMagic5's.

From what I can see with the Rokas, though, they seem like they limit the vision when looking downward, whereas TheMagic5's have an angle on the lenses making you able to look downward as well.

Very broad range of vision, and the antifog on the lenses works great.

I'm just very happy with mine, and can only recommend them!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi, I ordered a pair and they do not fit properly. The vision is horrible too. Try XCEED by PHELPS
Quote Reply
Re: Magic5 goggles [DKMNTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What are OWS?
Quote Reply
Re: Magic5 goggles [Michele78] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OWS - Open Water Swimming

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: Magic5 goggles [Michele78] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Michele78 wrote:
Hi, I ordered a pair and they do not fit properly. The vision is horrible too. Try XCEED by PHELPS

That's a lie regarding the vision. 0/10.
Quote Reply
Re: Magic5 goggles [Tri2win352] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri2win352 wrote:
Michele78 wrote:

That's a lie regarding the vision. 0/10.

So, just like most contact point accessories, YMMV. Despite the custom face scanning, these are going to work well for some and less so for others. The scanning probably increases the % of the population who can get a good seal.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Magic5 goggles [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had bad luck with them. Despite the custom scan, they didn't fit my face well at all. They were super hard and dug into my eye sockets and wouldn't seal properly at all.

Not sure if it's because my eyes are small and deep set, but overall were definitely a no. I couldn't even wear them for 1 lap of the pool.

obviously ymmv
Quote Reply
Re: Magic5 goggles [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Right now they're offering nurses/doctors/hospital employees a discount code to get a pair for free to use for PPE since the crap we're currently using (and re-using after they're sterilized in the autoclave) are pretty subpar. I've never used them before..but I'm hoping they'll fit me better than what we've got at my hospital. I had a pair of the Roka F2s and hated them for swimming, they didn't seal to my face at all, so maybe these will be better. If not, I'll repurpose those Rokas.
Quote Reply
Re: Magic5 goggles [HeartRN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HeartRN wrote:
Right now they're offering nurses/doctors/hospital employees a discount code to get a pair for free to use for PPE since the crap we're currently using (and re-using after they're sterilized in the autoclave) are pretty subpar. I've never used them before..but I'm hoping they'll fit me better than what we've got at my hospital. I had a pair of the Roka F2s and hated them for swimming, they didn't seal to my face at all, so maybe these will be better. If not, I'll repurpose those Rokas.

I saw that Roka also created a PPE tab (clear "sunglasses" and X1 goggles). Is there actually a shortage of optical PPE? I ask since, unlike masks/gloves/gowns, eye shields/lab goggles are not typically disposable.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been using speed sockets for years. For me, they don't leak at all, but I wasn't crazy about the narrower field of view for open water swimming or the suction feeling on my eye sockets.

Magic5 have been awesome on those fronts. No leaking, wide field of view compared to the speed sockets, and I don't get that feeling of the goggles being suctioned cupped to my eyeballs. I'm definitely a fan.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I mean, pretty much all PPE are in short supply. Right now the hospital I'm at is doing a reprocessing thing for N95s and face shields/goggles/glasses, which pretty much means that they all get put in a trash bag and then run through the autoclave. I personally would rather use my own goggles in that case. I wear glasses, and trying to fit something over top of those is obnoxious, but if I'm wearing my own goggles, no matter how dorky they look, I'd be willing to wear my contacts.

I saw that Roka has a PPE tab now, but they're not donating their products so I'll go with my two free pairs of Magic5 goggles.
Quote Reply

Prev Next