Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What do you think the penalty should be for using a counterfeit $20 to buy food?
Quote | Reply
http://www.nycourts.gov/reporter/3dseries/2019/2019_00371.htm

Homeless man was arrested trying to buy food with a series of counterfeited $20 bills. Is going to be in jail for 6 years. Seems kinda crazy to me.

This is especially crazy when you look at some of the sentencing for white collar crimes.
Quote Reply
Re: What do you think the penalty should be for using a counterfeit $20 to buy food? [patentattorney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's pretty crazy. The guy probably qualifies for government assistance.
Quote Reply
Re: What do you think the penalty should be for using a counterfeit $20 to buy food? [Perseus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, now he gets free food and a roof over his head for 6 years.

There's his government assistance!

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: What do you think the penalty should be for using a counterfeit $20 to buy food? [patentattorney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I skimmed it but it looks like 3-6 years (so probably 3), and only that high because he has a string of prior felonies - including violent ones (though they were a long time ago). I'm not offended.

EDIT:

But for his apparent mental illness (I am a bleeding heart liberal after all), this would be a hard "F___ this guy" from me:

Significantly, leading back to 1981 defendant has at least 30 prior criminal convictions, including 5 felonies and 25 misdemeanors. Most of these prior convictions are recent. Specifically, since defendant's 2006 conviction of attempted robbery in the third degree, he has been convicted of 21 separate misdemeanors, including a conviction just one month before his arrest in this case. Those 21 misdemeanors include 12 convictions for petit larceny, and also convictions for menacing, criminal possession of a weapon, attempted petit larceny, and drug possession.
In addition, defendant's criminal history includes serious felony convictions for attempted rape in the first degree, attempted robbery in the first degree, attempted criminal possession of a weapon in the third degree, and grand larceny in the third degree.
Moreover, defendant has a history of violating parole, failing to register under SORA, having orders of protection issued against him, having bench warrants issued for his arrest, and he even has criminal convictions from South Carolina.

"Are you sure we're going fast enough?" - Emil Zatopek
Last edited by: Bretom: Jan 24, 19 14:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Given this history of this homeless man, you are right, it is crazy that he is not locked up for at least 10 years+!!! It probably is a toss up for society on what would cost them more, him incarcerated, or him on the loose. But dude is just one brain cell from killing someone, so best he take a break from society, as he doesnt seem able to play by most, if any of its rules...

Significantly, leading back to 1981 defendant has at least 30 prior criminal convictions, including 5 felonies and 25 misdemeanors. Most of these prior convictions are recent. Specifically, since defendant's 2006 conviction of attempted robbery in the third degree, he has been convicted of 21 separate misdemeanors, including a conviction just one month before his arrest in this case. Those 21 misdemeanors include 12 convictions for petit larceny, and also convictions for menacing, criminal possession of a weapon, attempted petit larceny, and drug possession.
In addition, defendant's criminal history includes serious felony convictions for attempted rape in the first degree, attempted robbery in the first degree, attempted criminal possession of a weapon in the third degree, and grand larceny in the third degree.
Moreover, defendant has a history of violating parole, failing to register under SORA, having orders of protection issued against him, having bench warrants issued for his arrest, and he even has criminal convictions from South Carolina.

Quote Reply
Re: What do you think the penalty should be for using a counterfeit $20 to buy food? [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:

I had the same thought. He's probably safer now than he has been for years. Now that is a scary thought.

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LOCK HIM UP!!! LOCK HIM UP!!! LOCK HIM UP!!!

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: What do you think the penalty should be for using a counterfeit $20 to buy food? [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:

Their was someone who "robbed" a store, in specific county of Colorado, and sat on the corner waiting for the police. The man in question said he liked the jail in that county and wanted to go back.
Quote Reply
Re: What do you think the penalty should be for using a counterfeit $20 to buy food? [Bretom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bretom wrote:
I skimmed it but it looks like 3-6 years (so probably 3), and only that high because he has a string of prior felonies - including violent ones (though they were a long time ago). I'm not offended.

EDIT:

But for his apparent mental illness (I am a bleeding heart liberal after all), this would be a hard "F___ this guy" from me:

Prime example of how a story is told shapes a persons response. My initial response to Patentattorney based upon the information he provided was to say "let the guy go with a small fine and no way he should do a single minute of time"

After the information you provided my response is "lock him up for at least 3 years, the guy has no redeeming qualities and its not like he was just a hungry homeless guy down on his luck." He is a bad dude.
Quote Reply
Re: What do you think the penalty should be for using a counterfeit $20 to buy food? [ACE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree. The OP (intentionally?) left out critical information. Given the guy’s history the best thing for both him (since there is no legitimate public mental healthcare system) and society would be 5+ years in an “easy” or “soft” prison. You could argue he likely won’t change for the better in prison but I’d like to see the argument for why he will suddenly turn the corner while he’s “free”.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The homeless who come to our churches winter shelter, say there is always food available. they don't miss meals. so if this guy is experienced you would think he can find food. Though it could be harder for the mentally ill. Often they do not want to talk much at the shelter so I expect there experience could be different.
Quote Reply
Re: What do you think the penalty should be for using a counterfeit $20 to buy food? [ACE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh 100% he is a bad dude. But he was arrested for the counterfeiting. For the other offenses it seems like he should have been locked away longer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
patentattorney wrote:
Oh 100% he is a bad dude. But he was arrested for the counterfeiting. For the other offenses it seems like he should have been locked away longer.

Not sure how sentencing works in NY my assumption is he got the 6 years due to his priors. If he had a clean record (this was his first offense) then stealing food with a counterfeit 20 should not be a 6 years sentence if I was king.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
completely agreed (and have no clue about crim law). But its weird that the past convictions still weigh so heavily.

If his past convictions were so bad, he should have been in jail longer. If he wasnt in jail for the past convictions, why the hell not. Like if he had the outstanding warrants in other states, shouldnt of he been put to jail based on that? not for the counterfeit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chronic criminals and mental illness are a tough nut to crack. When I worked in ER we had a homeless dude that would go into a drugstore open a bottle of vodka chug as much as he could till they arrested him, then went to the ER on the way to jail to sober up enough to be properly arrested. They had a history of a couple drunks dying in jail so they had to be medically cleared prior to jail. Which being sober is a part of the equation. So you got a meal , a shower and a warm place to sleep prior to incarceration. Funny thing it only happened when it was raining and cold outside. Hmmm?
That seems like a long sentence for the crime, but sometimes judges get tired of some chucklehead doing stupid stuff over and over. Hard to say, but he sure got the book thrown at him.
Quote Reply