Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Shutdown, Mueller investigation, etc predictions
Quote | Reply
Post your predictions.

When will the government reopen?

Will it include the $5 billion funding for the wall?

When will the Mueller investigation come out?

How bad will it be?

I'll start...

2/15

Yes, but a compromise that shifts more of the funding to ports, etc rather than the wall. However, it allows Trump to claim his "victory"

It will continue to drag out...

Bad, but Trump will find a way to squirm out. Either way, does the US really want a president behind bars?
Quote Reply
Re: Shutdown, Mueller investigation, etc predictions [907Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The government will reopen when Trump's approval rating, so some time in late May.

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
907Tri wrote:
does the US really want a president behind bars?

That is not the only option. Further, it depends on the severity of any crimes committed. Clinton committed perjury. I wrote my reps that he should be impeached and removed from office. I did not feel he should have been behind bars.

Then there was Nixon. I felt at the time that he should have been impeached (moot when he resigned) and prosecuted and imprisoned due to the severity of his crimes. Moot when Ford pardoned him. I voted against Ford for that transgression/error.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Either way, does the US really want a president behind bars?

Wouldn't that depend on what, if anything, he did?

Does the US really want one set of laws for the rich and powerful and another for the rest of the population?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't care about your government shutdown. The whole thing is stupid to be frank.

Leafs will win the Cup over San Jose in 6 games.

I would love to read Trumps jailhouse tweets; they would be very amusing. He isn't going to jail (not that he won't have committed crimes... he'll either be pardoned or will sign a deal to resign).

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The shutdown will end when McConnell puts the clean funding bill up in the senate. There are too many vulnerable gop members in the senate up for releleftion for them to vote no.

The mueller investigation will come out on 7/4/2019. It will show that trump knew of Russia involvement, he wasn’t a point person, he didn’t encourage it but didn’t do anything to the contrary, he was trying to stay on Russia’s good side to build trump tower once he left. Kusherner, jr, and Manafort will all show to be directly involved with reaching out to the Russians to help trump. Trump pardons them
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure when the shutdown will end.

Yes, but it won't be called a wall, both sides will claim victory.

Hopefully soon.

A bunch of people, who aren't Trump, will get convicted of crimes that aren't collusion. Both sides will claim victory.
Quote Reply
Re: Shutdown, Mueller investigation, etc predictions [Harbinger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wasn’t yet born when Nixon resigned, but my understanding of history is Ford’s pardon was incredibly healing for the country. Morally it appears prosecution may have been the correct move, but a pardon was the right choice to get the country to move on, begin healing, and get back to work.

As contentious as things are, if he’s impeached and has prosecutable offenses I’d hope to see him pardoned but removed from office without serving jail time. Can you imagine how much more the country would fracture if he sat in prison? (and it’s still a big if since nobody really knows the details of what’s in the Mueller investigation as it relates to Trump himself)

This all just sucks. But at least a lot of this divisive noise is virtual & people by and large continue on with their daily lives getting on and getting along. This all would probably look a lot different if the entire monkey choir of the world didn’t have instant access to post their uneducated comments and drivel about every jot and tittle of news real or fake.

Harbinger wrote:
907Tri wrote:

That is not the only option. Further, it depends on the severity of any crimes committed. Clinton committed perjury. I wrote my reps that he should be impeached and removed from office. I did not feel he should have been behind bars.

Then there was Nixon. I felt at the time that he should have been impeached (moot when he resigned) and prosecuted and imprisoned due to the severity of his crimes. Moot when Ford pardoned him. I voted against Ford for that transgression/error.
Quote Reply
Re: Shutdown, Mueller investigation, etc predictions [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't care about your government shutdown. The whole thing is stupid to be frank.

Leafs will win the Cup over San Jose in 6 games.

You must be such a Trump ballwasher making ridiculous predictions.

I have the Leafs over the Jets in 6.

Quote Reply
Re: Shutdown, Mueller investigation, etc predictions [MidwestRoadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In what reality do you think that Mueller, having evidence of a significant enough crime by Trump. Something that would be convictable, prosecutable, indictable, or even impeachable. That he would be sitting on it, until he 'completes' his investigation. I suspect that he would have some duty to get Trump out of office as soon as possible if that were the case.

I mean, if they had some evidence that he murdered someone in the middle of 5th Avenue, would they let him be President for another year while they check to see if he cheated on his taxes, or has some unpaid parking tickets?
Quote Reply
Re: Shutdown, Mueller investigation, etc predictions [efernand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We don’t know. What we do know is it’s a tangled, complicated web made even more difficult if the President is criminally involved. Prosecutors don’t just have a duty to demonstrate that a crime occurred but to make their case and evidence air tight for trial. We won’t know what that looks like until the investigation is complete.
Quote Reply
Re: Shutdown, Mueller investigation, etc predictions [MidwestRoadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Prosecutors also won’t just charge a criminal until they have completed their full investigation because you generally will only get one bite of the apple.

Even if their is rock solid evidence that trump was changing the gops platform in exchange for building his brand by winning the presidency. Mueller will want to know other things such as if trump was trying to build trump tower Moscow. He will also want to know who else is involved. This is why there are so many redactions in the people who have been brought to trial.

This isn’t a murder where you are dealing with a single event taking place.
Quote Reply
Re: Shutdown, Mueller investigation, etc predictions [efernand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
efernand wrote:
In what reality do you think that Mueller, having evidence of a significant enough crime by Trump. Something that would be convictable, prosecutable, indictable, or even impeachable. That he would be sitting on it, until he 'completes' his investigation. I suspect that he would have some duty to get Trump out of office as soon as possible if that were the case.

I mean, if they had some evidence that he murdered someone in the middle of 5th Avenue, would they let him be President for another year while they check to see if he cheated on his taxes, or has some unpaid parking tickets?

...The reality where many within Trump's orbit have lied to Mueller, extending significantly the time it has taken to reach the truth.

And Trump has already been implicated in a fairly serious breach of campaign finance laws, though I know the ballwashers think what he did was nothing and will cry "Whatabout Obama!" when the circumstances are much more similar to John Edwards, who faced trial (yes I know he wasn't convicted, before you say it, but it warranted an actual trial).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MidwestRoadie wrote:
I wasn’t yet born when Nixon resigned, but my understanding of history is Ford’s pardon was incredibly healing for the country. Morally it appears prosecution may have been the correct move, but a pardon was the right choice to get the country to move on, begin healing, and get back to work.

I was just a kid when he resigned but I remember it being very controversial and probably cost Ford the re-election. I think it's only viewed as a healing move in hindsight. Of course, at the time my views were probably mostly influenced by me parent's reaction.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MidwestRoadie wrote:
but my understanding of history is Ford’s pardon was incredibly healing for the country.

I threw up in my mouth a little. That is not my understanding of history that it's healing to be above the law if you're rich and powerful.
Quote Reply
Re: Shutdown, Mueller investigation, etc predictions [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don’t know that history gave Nixon a more fair treatment than he would have received with a symbolic prosecution and a year in a jail for the elite. Seems to me the embarrassment of history did to Nixon all that needed to be done in order to exact justice. The rest of the country didn’t commit the crimes he did and seemed to need to be able to move on.

trail wrote:
MidwestRoadie wrote:
but my understanding of history is Ford’s pardon was incredibly healing for the country.

I threw up in my mouth a little. That is not my understanding of history that it's healing to be above the law if you're rich and powerful.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MidwestRoadie wrote:
I don’t know that history gave Nixon a more fair treatment than he would have received with a symbolic prosecution and a year in a jail for the elite. Seems to me the embarrassment of history did to Nixon all that needed to be done in order to exact justice. The rest of the country didn’t commit the crimes he did and seemed to need to be able to move on.

Ug. You should go into politics.
Quote Reply
Re: Shutdown, Mueller investigation, etc predictions [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Been there, done that. Got out, left the party both literally and figuratively. That shit is too corrupt for my tastes. Unless it’s hyper local, then it’s usually just too petty for my tastes.

trail wrote:
MidwestRoadie wrote:

Ug. You should go into politics.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I predict that no matter what happens, no matter what he did, Jim in MO will still be in love with the orange cheeto.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MidwestRoadie wrote:

As contentious as things are, if he’s impeached and has prosecutable offenses I’d hope to see him pardoned but removed from office without serving jail time. Can you imagine how much more the country would fracture if he sat in prison? (and it’s still a big if since nobody really knows the details of what’s in the Mueller investigation as it relates to Trump himself)

This all just sucks. But at least a lot of this divisive noise is virtual & people by and large continue on with their daily lives getting on and getting along. This all would probably look a lot different if the entire monkey choir of the world didn’t have instant access to post their uneducated comments and drivel about every jot and tittle of news real or fake.

Harbinger wrote:
907Tri wrote:

The pardon was very polarizing. It absolutely cost Ford the election. Note, he was NEVER elected president. Spiro Agnew was elected VP, but had to resign due to his own criminal acts. Ford was Speaker of the House, so he was appointed VP by Nixon. The whole sequence of events stunk.

Nixon should have been prosecuted. I think Ford felt that he couldn't win the election if a Nixon trial was dominating the news. It didn't matter. After the pardon, he was unelectable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
907Tri wrote:
Post your predictions.

When will the government reopen?

Will it include the $5 billion funding for the wall?

When will the Mueller investigation come out?

How bad will it be?

1. Mid-Feb
2. It will include something, but likely not in entirety. Likely some kind of "milestone approach" so that both sides can appear half victorious and half a failure.
3. Maybe March
4. I think it will do everything EXCEPT incriminate the POTUS. No matter how bad it actually is, no matter how much truth exists linking Trump to criminal acts there......I do NOT foresee him leaving office by force of impeachment or forced into resignation. Not only that, but IMHO it wouldn't do anything but embolden the hardest of Trump supports to say "we told you the system was rigged, Illuminati, pizzagate yo!!!"

For #4 I heard a guy on NPR this morning claim that while he doesn't agree with convicting Trump of impeachment (the Senate won't do it), he did claim the country needs it to give some kind of finality. I totally disagree. It will just drive people further into their camps.
Quote Reply
Re: Shutdown, Mueller investigation, etc predictions [Harbinger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I guess what I mean by “incredibly healing” is that it was like an amputation that’s awful but prevents a worse infection leading to deeper issues and death — the pardon cutting off the issue from dragging out and causing even deeper divisiveness, Nixon’s personal fate being secondary. It absolutely cost Ford the election; perhaps he knew it would, perhaps he thought he was being strategic. Who knows, but it feels fractured enough right now so I’d almost rather us not go through seeing a trial for Trump and see him trounced at the box in 2020.

Harbinger wrote:
MidwestRoadie wrote:

Harbinger wrote:
907Tri wrote:

The pardon was very polarizing. It absolutely cost Ford the election. Note, he was NEVER elected president. Spiro Agnew was elected VP, but had to resign due to his own criminal acts. Ford was Speaker of the House, so he was appointed VP by Nixon. The whole sequence of events stunk.

Nixon should have been prosecuted. I think Ford felt that he couldn't win the election if a Nixon trial was dominating the news. It didn't matter. After the pardon, he was unelectable.
Quote Reply