Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Snow on Camper
Quote | Reply
This is the first year we are storing our 2018 camper outside. We have 8-10"s of snow on it and the forecast for tomorrow calls for rain. I typically will rake our house roof in this situation. However, the internet research I've done for the camper is that everything is extremely brittle in the cold, campers can hold up to four feet of snow and under no circumstances use a shovel or roof rake on it but use a broom if you feel you need to clear the snow. It should be in the forties tomorrow so there should be some runoff/ melting too. To those experienced, should I leave it be or attempt to get snow off with a broom or ladder.
Quote Reply
Re: Snow on Camper [Harry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Leave it.

Where do you live that you clear 10" of snow off your roof? That does not seem like a large enough snowload to worry about.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

We had a crazy winter two years ago and I did broom off the roof of the travel trailer. Issue was not so much the depth of the snow on it, but the fact that it melted a bit, then froze, then got rained on, froze again, etc. It wasn't more than 10" on the surface but the weight was significantly more due to all the ice and how wet the snow was. I would agree a shovel is a bad idea, unless you just take the top 8" off with the shovel then use the broom for the rest like I did. Word of warning, the roof was extremely slippery, so be careful while you are up there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jack one end up so the water doesn't pool.

“Read the transcript.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Harry wrote:
This is the first year we are storing our 2018 camper outside. We have 8-10"s of snow on it and the forecast for tomorrow calls for rain. I typically will rake our house roof in this situation. However, the internet research I've done for the camper is that everything is extremely brittle in the cold, campers can hold up to four feet of snow and under no circumstances use a shovel or roof rake on it but use a broom if you feel you need to clear the snow. It should be in the forties tomorrow so there should be some runoff/ melting too. To those experienced, should I leave it be or attempt to get snow off with a broom or ladder.

Is your roof sloped? If so, there is no need to remove 10" of snow.

I wouldn't bother with the camper either.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Most roofs can withstand 20 pounds per square foot of snow. 2. Calculate the weight of the snow on your roof. Ten inches of fresh snow equates to about five pounds per square foot, which means your roof likely can support four feet of fresh snow

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Snow on Camper [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
Harry wrote:

Is your roof sloped? If so, there is no need to remove 10" of snow.

I wouldn't bother with the camper either.

If the roof is poorly insulated, then you can get damage to the shingles from the interior heat melting the snow, it refreezes and causes ice dams.

But generally, you're correct. I've never raked my roof.

For the tent trailer, I'm storing it outside. threw a large tarp over it and put the jack all the way down so water won't pool on the roof. We'll see what it looks like in the spring.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply