Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Roma, Best Picture
Quote | Reply
(I know there's a thread dedicated to 2018 bests, but like the single-subject posts on tv shows, so . . .)

this is an odd one. The first time I tried to watch I couldn't get into it, and bailed after 20 minutes. Then gave it another try and got hooked.

I can't remember a film where so much happens in the periphery that's interesting, even beautiful. Have no idea how Cuaron pulled this off.

Anyway one friend said it's like watching paint dry, so definitely not for everybody. I liked BR, but hope this gets Best Picture.
Quote Reply
Re: Roma, Best Picture [kiki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Roma was put out by Netflix, and the movie industry hates Netflix.
Quote Reply
Re: Roma, Best Picture [kiki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree it was beautiful and I watched it on a crappy TV. Not sure about best picture though and I say that as someone who likes a good character driven drama. It just didn't quite grab me enough, and I don't know why.

I haven't seen any of the other nominees so can't compare, maybe it is the best of the lot.
Quote Reply
Re: Roma, Best Picture [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
I agree it was beautiful and I watched it on a crappy TV. Not sure about best picture though and I say that as someone who likes a good character driven drama. It just didn't quite grab me enough, and I don't know why.
there wasn't any character development, and no real acting - I think that was the point, at least I hope it was done that way on purpose. I couldn't bear to watch it in one sitting - I'm still not done with it.
Quote Reply