Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Super League Triathlon [ChasingPB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Those are marketable moments, in terms of showing the action and unpredictability of the races... I agree I'm not a fan of the glorification of crashes (even though my own family gathers on the patio on the corner where all the carnage happens at one of our local crits...), but i'm less phased if nobody is injured... The video of Luis saving it, when he hit the staple and his tire slid out was pretty awesome... And how Hauser was able to come out pretty unscathed after his endo was also impressive (although given that he had a season ending accident early last year, we'll see if this affects his build into the season...).

In terms of the tubeless question, my understanding was that the staple stayed lodged in the tire, which was how he determined what it was that caused the flat... Not sure any tire (Tubeless, tubular or clincher) would be able to keep resealing itself around the staple without dropping most pressure (given that every revolution would cause it to shift and open up a bit again)...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ChasingPB wrote:
Pun_Times wrote:
- Glad Jonny didn’t hurt himself when he slipped on the dock before/while diving in. That looked bad
- I don’t have stats to back it up, but it feels like this season Murray either runs away with a win or finishes a ways off the podium verses Brownlee, Vincent, and Henry who are up in the front every time
- How many crashes did the Schofield twins rack up this season?

Maybe I'm alone, but is anyone else a tad annoyed/eye rolling at how Super League tried to play up certain things? In a span of 5 instagram posts yesterday they had 4 videos of injuries/crashes that happened in the men's race

The thing i found most annoying in the coverage... THE ENDLESS BANGING ON ABOUT THE DOLLARS ALL THE FECKEN TIME.
Its crass. (Maybe i shouldn't expect any better when there's a couple of bread thieves with the mics. Thank goodness for Annie E bringing a bit of class).

My other moan... wheel sucking Frogs. (Was the same at the mixed relays in Nottingham last Summer).
Quote Reply
Re: Super League Triathlon [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They need to get Ali B back on the commentary, without him, you see the weakness of the other too. Part of the whole money drivel is their sales pitch to try and lure more athletes for next year... But I also think it was because this was the "grand final" and they were trying to emphasize the impacts of a mistake in terms that the average public could understand (they may not grasp what's the big deal about finishing 5th instead of 4th, but they get it if you say that they lost out on $25k by losing that wheel in front of them... or falling off the swim pontoon....

I think the comments about a certain nationality wheelsucking aren't entirely fair... on the ladies side, yes, Beaugrand steered clear of the front until the run segments (that being said, being one of the strongest runners there, there's no real benefit to working hard and splitting up the pack on the bike, others who need to drop the runners to avoid elimination should be doing that, she should only be on the front of a group if it's to close a gap that has opened...). On the men's side, for sure Connix was wheel sucking, but he was also absolutely on the rivet trying desperately to not get dropped... But both Luis and Bergere saw the front... Luis moreso... but on a course that narrow where it was difficult to pass, there were a few riders who were pretty active policing who was allowed on the front... (even in the ladies race, did you see how quick they got Summer Rappaport off the front, and in the back of the pack... that's not a wheel I would want to follow... same with Polyanski...)... There's a difference between wheelsucking because you're lazy, and sitting in, because there's a tactical disadvantage to taking that initiative... (very different than in Nottingham... where Beaugrand sitting on Kasper's wheel was far more questionable... she knew she could outrun her regardless, it was in their interest to ride together and further stretch the gap to close the door on other teams, rather than to make Kasper do all of the work, but end up with less of a gap at the end of the bike...)
Quote Reply
Re: Super League Triathlon [Trauma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trauma wrote:
Those are marketable moments, in terms of showing the action and unpredictability of the races... I agree I'm not a fan of the glorification of crashes (even though my own family gathers on the patio on the corner where all the carnage happens at one of our local crits...), but i'm less phased if nobody is injured... The video of Luis saving it, when he hit the staple and his tire slid out was pretty awesome... And how Hauser was able to come out pretty unscathed after his endo was also impressive (although given that he had a season ending accident early last year, we'll see if this affects his build into the season...).

In terms of the tubeless question, my understanding was that the staple stayed lodged in the tire, which was how he determined what it was that caused the flat... Not sure any tire (Tubeless, tubular or clincher) would be able to keep resealing itself around the staple without dropping most pressure (given that every revolution would cause it to shift and open up a bit again)...

I find it bad luck to the absolute, questionable extreme that there was a staple on the ground in the country where even spitting human saliva gets you jailed. Perhaps from putting up event stuff? Something more nefarious perhaps?

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: Super League Triathlon [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You'd be amazed at what goes into setting things up for events like this... I've never personally used a staple gun as part of set-up, we usually drill into the ground and use rivets/bolts to secure T-racks and carpeting to the ground (typing this gives my forearm muscles flashbacks to this from building elite t-zones over the years...). Depending on the rack configuration and construction, I could maybe see staples used to secure the name plates to the transition racks... we usually use double sided tape, but staples might make their way onto the FOP that way (or from something innocent like some loose staples on the floor of a rental truck used to transport course building supplies... It's standard to sweep the carpets pre-event, but a staple could easily snag into the carpet fibers and not get swept away... It may not have been the only one, it might just be the only one that flipped up and got lodged into someone's tire....

But yes, I too was surprised that of all SLT stops, that it was Singapore, who are known for their uber-cleanliness...
Quote Reply
Re: Super League Triathlon [HeartRN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was impressed by the following:
-Katie Zaferes’s runs against Beaugrand
-Mr Katie Zaferes runs in the heat. (Way not to have a seizure Tommy!) This is a little tongue in cheek, but seriously he went way better than I expected for someone who was supposed to never race above 75F again
-Beaugrand’s top end swim speed day 1 and discipline day 2.
-Rappaport’s bike handles. Ok, low bar but that was measurably better.
Quote Reply
Re: Super League Triathlon [Dumples] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know that don't know that Summer's bike handling was that much better, but she appeared more confident, and wasn't botching the chicane so bad that she was getting dropped (ok, I guess that is much better than Mallorca)...although she was kind of the opposite of Dorian Connix, who was getting dropped on the straights, but has the technical skills that he was riding back in through the corners...

In general the SL formats tend to up the swim emphasis from traditional distances, so I am less surprised at how well Tommy Z acquitted himself... But for sure he held on longer on the run than most would have expected from him...
Quote Reply
Re: Super League Triathlon [domingjm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just caught up with it all, thought the whole thing was brilliant, I got a bit bored of the womens eliminator but the finish for the enduro made up for it.

Everyone was going nuts claiming sexism when they did the first Superleague without women, but there was a lot of top class women who for whatever reason have decided to give SL a miss again in this final round, if the standard goes down anymore I probably wouldn't bother watching.

I'm going to whisper it quietly but Jonny looks like he could be regaining some of his old form, he admit at the end what I thought had been a big problem at that's been Cozumel playing on his mind, maybe he can put all that behind him, it'll be doing it just at the right time with the Olympic cycle about to kick in.

The whole scoring system, eliminator champion, enduro champion, round winner series winner prize givings thing confuses me, I'd prefer them to just do points and three people stood there at the end of the whole thing.
Quote Reply
Re: Super League Triathlon [Jackets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jackets wrote:
Just caught up with it all, thought the whole thing was brilliant, I got a bit bored of the womens eliminator but the finish for the enduro made up for it.

Everyone was going nuts claiming sexism when they did the first Superleague without women, but there was a lot of top class women who for whatever reason have decided to give SL a miss again in this final round, if the standard goes down anymore I probably wouldn't bother watching.

I'm going to whisper it quietly but Jonny looks like he could be regaining some of his old form, he admit at the end what I thought had been a big problem at that's been Cozumel playing on his mind, maybe he can put all that behind him, it'll be doing it just at the right time with the Olympic cycle about to kick in.

The whole scoring system, eliminator champion, enduro champion, round winner series winner prize givings thing confuses me, I'd prefer them to just do points and three people stood there at the end of the whole thing.

It's totally anti-american, but I couldn't care less who wins the seasons, or even each individual weekend; I just think the individual races are amazing. I definitely prefer anything that shakes up the order of the events like the triple mix. Also, Kristian Blummenfelt is quickly becoming my favorite triathlete.

---------------------------------------------------------------

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/profile/domingjm
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It was crazy sexist to host an event and only have a boy race. As for this weekend, there were 7 of the top 15 women and 7 of the top 15 men. But I do agree that the dynamics of these elimination races would be greatly improved by deeper fields. Both races had fine drama at the front of the field but in my estimation there were only 2 people, Murray and Gentle, who were strong enough to ever win but had to deal with the possibility of early elimination. If you add people with variable talent between swim, bike, and run (like Mola, Blummenfelt, Spirig, Stimpson) then you start to get some more opportunity for an important early exit from the event. Alternatively if you have 10 people who could win and 20 who could podium, then the eliminations would be more meaningful also.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Only one female who regularly podiums who made the final, you was missing Holland, Duffy, Spirig, Stanford, Stimpson, Taylor Brown, Learmoth.

To be fair the mens final wasn't much better with only Luis, Brownlee, Schoeman and a half fit Murray out the big names showing up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No one's arguing that the field is going to rival Abu Dhabi's field next weekend, but to get half of the top 15 is a good field strength. And it's also a good way to try and get more of the competitors who might be less known some face time.

Chasing PB Podcast Latest interview with Eli Hemming on Targeting a US MTR spot in Tokyo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The following are the world rankings of those who raced
Women: 1,4,6,9,10,12,13
Men: 2,3,8,9,11,13,15
Quote Reply
Re: Super League Triathlon [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On this, I think it's fair for them to tout the payout. As far as triathlon goes, not many more races left in short course that provide this level of money. It's cheesy but I'm glad they're putting the money into it.

Second, Hauser is missing Abu Dhabi and Mooloolaba World Cup due to his crash

Chasing PB Podcast Latest interview with Eli Hemming on Targeting a US MTR spot in Tokyo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Macca is marketing SL as the Elite of Triathlon, when you can make up a better field of athletes that are not there (and that is definatly not up for debate with the females field) than there is, then it's not the creme de la creme as he keeps putting it.

Its completely understandable why, as every single athlete must now start putting Olympic qualification at the top of there priorities (might be why no Brit women showed up as it's going to be nails to qualify in that squad)

I just wonder if it might be worth cancelling till after the Olympics if the turnout of the top athletes gets any lower.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The problem was more the timing for the series... with it being heavy at the end of the season, and then a 2month break, and the finale a few weeks before the WTS, people are going to think twice about participating throughout... More people passed on the finale because with a heavy season of important races for olympic qualifying points, they are being a bit more strategic with their preparations, and when they race... In terms of some of those that skipped.. Blummenfelt had some 70.3 races, so it was smarter for him to focus there, and because he had missed a couple rounds, there was little chance of him making big enough bank in the finale for it to make sense to sacrifice training and prep to race SL... Spirig is pregnant (that's beyond Macca's control...), Duffy is still working back from injury, Mola had a bit of an injury around the Mallorca SL event, and as a result is training his way back up... Holland I think it's a bit of a mix of a strategic build and figuring out the building of fitness while balancing all of the media that comes with being WTS champion... Many of the others didn't feel that their fitness was quite there yet early in the season (or rather that they didn't want to peak too early in the season by getting to a level of fitness to secure a big payday at SL) (this was cited by Stimpson, Taylor-Brown, Jo Brown, etc.).

As the sport moves towards the business end of the 4 year olympic cycle, it presents challenges for events like SL to get all of the athletes that they want at the events consistently, especially when they work on the fringes... What they do get, are those who are less likely to be in the olympic medal fray, that are hungry for a big payday and are able to produce some exciting racing... Maybe the tag long should be the worlds most exciting triathletes, as opposed to the best of the best...
Quote Reply
Re: Super League Triathlon [Trauma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think its fair to say that overall the athlete level of the races was WTS level not grand final but at a better level than typicaly yokohama for instance.

most people would agree that the 3 people that have the most balanced swim bike run in the world luis schoeman and johnny were racing . ( i would say that mola even at best shape could not beat those 3 in this format)

beaugrand with 21 years most likely will become a superstar in tri .and zaferes is just a great all rounder.
apart from duffy and holland I think there was nobody missing that could have won this .
I dont understand why i read the name spirig so often- of course like murray she would be really interesting to have but she would struggle in this format especially if duffy was in the race , and besides how many WTS races has she done since London ( dont get me wrong i think she is an fantastic triathlete and what she does deserves a lot of respect but still I think she would get too exposed on the swim when the field thins out )

I agree Blummefeld is missed when not racing as he adds entertainment value ,but still the quality is there it is quite likely that we saw half the podium for tokyo last weekend.

I think they are doing an fantastic job to make triathlon an spectaor friendly sport and also an sport where it is a real triathlon as all 3 diciplines are more equally import ( yes the run is still the most important but it becomes much harder to be in the game if your swim and bike is not top level )

the only thing that i did not like too much in singapore was that they eliminated people on the 90 sec rule i think it was enough eliminate 2 after each dicipline.

Its my favorite format by far to watch ( and so was the australian grand prix series that often had fab choppy swims ) and yes i do enjoy watching kona roth frankfurt from start to finish as well.
I do hope that series will continue as it is realy good for the sport
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ChasingPB wrote:
On this, I think it's fair for them to tout the payout. As far as triathlon goes, not many more races left in short course that provide this level of money. It's cheesy but I'm glad they're putting the money into it.

Second, Hauser is missing Abu Dhabi and Mooloolaba World Cup due to his crash

Oh no, are you sure about this? he is still on the start lists. If so, this would be exactly why some of the big names didn't show. If they had missed any of the series due to illness or injury they wouldn't be at the pointy end of the big money anyway, and racing is always risky, especially as courses become narrower and more technical. Someone else's mistake can wipe you out and end your season, not an ideal scenario with Olympic selection taking place.
Quote Reply
Re: Super League Triathlon [pk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pk wrote:
I think its fair to say that overall the athlete level of the races was WTS level not grand final but at a better level than typicaly yokohama for instance.

most people would agree that the 3 people that have the most balanced swim bike run in the world luis schoeman and johnny were racing . ( i would say that mola even at best shape could not beat those 3 in this format)

beaugrand with 21 years most likely will become a superstar in tri .and zaferes is just a great all rounder.
apart from duffy and holland I think there was nobody missing that could have won this .
I dont understand why i read the name spirig so often- of course like murray she would be really interesting to have but she would struggle in this format especially if duffy was in the race , and besides how many WTS races has she done since London ( dont get me wrong i think she is an fantastic triathlete and what she does deserves a lot of respect but still I think she would get too exposed on the swim when the field thins out )

I agree Blummefeld is missed when not racing as he adds entertainment value ,but still the quality is there it is quite likely that we saw half the podium for tokyo last weekend.

I think they are doing an fantastic job to make triathlon an spectaor friendly sport and also an sport where it is a real triathlon as all 3 diciplines are more equally import ( yes the run is still the most important but it becomes much harder to be in the game if your swim and bike is not top level )

the only thing that i did not like too much in singapore was that they eliminated people on the 90 sec rule i think it was enough eliminate 2 after each dicipline.

Its my favorite format by far to watch ( and so was the australian grand prix series that often had fab choppy swims ) and yes i do enjoy watching kona roth frankfurt from start to finish as well.
I do hope that series will continue as it is realy good for the sport

Spirig comes up, because a year ago, in the first SL for women, in Jersey, Her and Zaferes were the ones on the front laying the hurt on everyone... I agree that if Duffy were there, she's a game changer, especially for someone like Spirig, who is more of a bike-runner...

The 90sec rule (which was 80 sec for men) exists because the circuits are so short... even with the 90sec leash, they had issues with people being out on the course and getting lapped, making for pretty dangerous conditions... It does add an element of not just sitting in 3rd last to not get eliminated, because someone could get time cut, and then you're on the block, the unpredictability changes the game for the better I think...

For sure it was disappointing to not have Blummenfelt, because he's relentless and never gives up, which always makes a race entertaining...
Quote Reply

Prev Next