Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Scott Plasma 5 - Sizing - Large or XL
Quote | Reply
Hi I'm trying to work out which would be better fit. Im 6ft 2.5 with a stack and reach of 680 x 510 which seems to put me right on the cusp of a large or XL. If I went for a Large i'd have the benefit of being able to use the Tri stem and aero bottle etc while still maintaining the correct stack but would be at the limit of reach. If I go for the XL it looks like id need the TT stem to get low enough and then wouldn't be able to use the aero bottle. However the XL would give me a little more room to increase the reach if needed. Im the red dot on the XY Solver below. Any advice appreciated.

Quote Reply
Re: Scott Plasma 5 - Sizing - Large or XL [Topper007] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Personally, I would go for the Large.

A) IIRC, there was independent testing (ERO?) showing the Tri+Bottle setup is faster than the TT stem

B) You might want to go lower in the future. The Large gives you that.

C) While you can't go lower than the minimal stack allowed by the TT stem, reach is a bit easier to achieve. If you're desperate for extra reach, you can get a bit extra with a change of pads (in a similar scenario, I use AeroCoach Align because of their length and cradling). Custom pads are still a reasonably affordable part.

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Plasma 5 - Sizing - Large or XL [tessar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am 188 cm /6 ft 2 and ride a large (don't have my X/Y to hand at the moment sorry, but within orthodoxy so to speak).
I love this bike, key things I would look for are as follows:
1. The integrated hydration is fantastic and you definitely want to be able to have this option for anything more than sprint distance IMHO.
2. There is no ability to tilt the bars. Even though the base bar etc is all Profile Design, you cannot use the Aeria system/integrated hydration to tilt the bars as the base bar is not designed to tolerate that load and will crack (apparently). If you want to tilt you need to go for an after market solution which is not as easy or as cheap as it should be.
3. There is no draft box/rear storage. Not a deal breaker but something you would hope they will fix with the next update. There is one carbon fibre 3d printed option available for mounting on the downtube but that is 180 pounds so not cheap.
Despite the criticisms I have over 2 and 3 above I still think it is a great bike, not overly common on course and absolutely flies.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am 6', not sure my stack and reach but I have a medium size frame and I am slammed with the hydration system up front. I would agree with the other poster to go with the large and aftermarket pads and aerobars if you need more reach, especially if your doing long course stuff.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
before listening to anyone on this thread, you ought to ask to see a picture of their positions.

You gave us your *current* reach numbers, which if it were me wouldn't be your final reach numbers... you need more reach.

It will be close... I'd check into aftermarket reach options before purchasing.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Plasma 5 - Sizing - Large or XL [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Eric

Thank you for your advice the other day on the Ordu. The Scott measurements appear to be pad center which would probably give me another 10mm - 20mm or so in reach.

Is moving the seat back slightly an option or is it generally preferred to keep it as close to the BB as possible ?

I have a Large and XL Frame in the Scott but cant keep both. Only one groupset but can probably stick a crankset on the bare to get an idea of which might look better.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To avoid this inevitable kerfluffle is it possible for you to go get a proper fit? Luscan offers a digital one if you're not near one of the proper ones. 10min of Eric's time is worth a chunk but it's still all observations from still images with no iterative feedback. Even if you have to travel a $500 all-in cost of fit+travel pales in comparison to screwing up and picking the wrong $3500 frame.
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Plasma 5 - Sizing - Large or XL [TriFluid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi TriFluid

I agree a fit would be the preferred option, but its professional bike fits that have lead me to buy the wrong size in the past. In my other feed last week it was clear that what I'd thought was a professional fit was very quickly dismissed by all the comments. The other aspect of it is that I cant really keep 2 Scott Plasma and an Orbea Ordu long before my Accountant threatens to shoot me.

Will look at other fit options locally but good ones are generally booked up quite far in advance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dave: https://www.findingfreestyle.com/bike-fitting offers remote fits. Eric, the primary driver of suggestions in this and your other thread, is here http://triathlonoptimized.com/ and I'm sure would be willing to figure out something similar with you. If you haven't read this: https://www.slowtwitch.com/...pectations_3595.html I implore you to do so.

Nitpicking here, it's not professional bike fits, it poor bike fits by alleged professionals that seem to have botched your earlier fits. Where are you located?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Played around with the XL Plasma tonight, tried to get as close as I could to suggested fit on the Ordu and this is what I came up with.

Ordu setup

Scott Plasma below
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Scott Plasma XL - Saddle 865mm , Setback 75mm , Stack 675 , Reach 510 - Doesn't feel as low on the front end as the Ordu.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
The Scott measurements appear to be pad center which would probably give me another 10mm - 20mm or so in reach.

You can also get a few extra mm by swapping the extension bracket since they're asymmetric. The only thing you loose is the little notch on the bracket that helps clean cable routing but it doesn't actually matter unless you aren't running any spacers, and looking at where you are on the chart you will have spacers. Even if you are slammed you can likely get a machine shop to make the same notch on the opposite side of the bracket.

Like pbnz above I'm 6'2 and ride a size large Scott Plasma. I don't have my current stack/reach numbers handy but my old numbers were: x 527, y 678, which is very similar stack to what you listed and a longer reach but I have a lower saddle height (822). Here's a picture of that position on the size large Plasma.

I've since made a few changes to my position (shorter crank, correspondingly lower saddle height, a bit more reach after getting new PD Ergo arm cups, removed all spacers).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Topper007 wrote:
Is moving the seat back slightly an option or is it generally preferred to keep it as close to the BB as possible ?
The issue with moving the saddle to adjust reach is that you change the overall posture. It can "work", but you lose control of what your fit is. Rather than force the bike to support the desired posture, you're compromising with the bike and choosing a posture based on the position of the bars.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Topper007 wrote:
Scott Plasma XL - Saddle 865mm , Setback 75mm , Stack 675 , Reach 510 - Doesn't feel as low on the front end as the Ordu.
Are these captures while you're in motion or were you not moving (and just posing) in these photos?

Trent Nix
Owned and operated Tri Shop
F.I.S.T. Advanced Certified Fitter | Retul Master Certified Fitter (back when those were things)
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Plasma 5 - Sizing - Large or XL [trentnix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All while moving.

Scott Plasma Large, Didn't have time to get the numbers quite right, the extensions need to be swapped for longer ones.

Last edited by: Topper007: Jan 22, 19 23:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your saddle is a touch high. Drop it 1 cm (and drop the cockpit 1 cm to match).

Slide your elbows forward on the pads just a bit as well. The longer extensions will help that.

Trent Nix
Owned and operated Tri Shop
F.I.S.T. Advanced Certified Fitter | Retul Master Certified Fitter (back when those were things)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I still say you need the XL Scott Plasma w/ TT stem.

Why save 1 watt with the bottle when you're losing 10 or 20 due to a bad position?

And yes, you're seat is too high.

Topper007 wrote:
All while moving.

Scott Plasma Large, Didn't have time to get the numbers quite right, the extensions need to be swapped for longer ones.

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
this is the correct bike.

Topper007 wrote:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Personally I think the Large looks small under me but maybe its just because the fit pads etc aren't in the right place or I'm just a big lump.

Eric would you say the XL Plasma looks a better fit than the Ordu ? I appreciate these are only still images but after all this fuss its not unlikely I just stick with the Ordu and refine the fit a little more.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the XL Plasma and the Ordu fits look the same to me. I'd choose based on aerodynamics and cockpit adjustability... you need one that will give you some pad tilt.

E

Topper007 wrote:
Personally I think the Large looks small under me but maybe its just because the fit pads etc aren't in the right place or I'm just a big lump.

Eric would you say the XL Plasma looks a better fit than the Ordu ? I appreciate these are only still images but after all this fuss its not unlikely I just stick with the Ordu and refine the fit a little more.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Still doesn't look quite right.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
what don't you like about it? Certainly on the right sized bike.

You could slide the saddle forward a touch and then retake the video and repost. As always, your saddle looks a little high based on your toe pointing but that might just be how you pedal.

Eric

Topper007 wrote:
Still doesn't look quite right.

Quote Reply