Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Would a tri bike be less squirrelly handling than redshift setup on a road bike?
Quote | Reply
I'm coming from a road bike background. I tried a Redshift aero bars and seatpost setup on my bike, and the position itself felt tolerable, but I was surprised at how squirrelly the handling felt. I'd say the road bike normally felt like weight is centered over the bottom bracket, and shifted into aero, it felt centered just behind the head tube. I didn't really like it to be honest.

I've not ever ridden a tri bike, would that geometry feel more stable, roughly speaking? Or is it just inherent to the aero position that weight is shifted forward compared to a road bike, and being in the aero bars will feel less solid?

I ask because I'm living right now in a place with flatter open roads, and was considering picking up a used tri bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Would a tri bike be less squirrelly handling than redshift setup on a road bike? [avatar78] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You bet, the longer front center of a tri bike, versus a road bike, will make the tri bike handle far better in a forward body position.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: Would a tri bike be less squirrelly handling than redshift setup on a road bike? [avatar78] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes. As DSW mentioned above, the geometry of the tri bike makes it more stable and, yes, for a given body position it is a very noticeable difference.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep. Huge difference. I did the Redshift thing on my road bike my first year. It was tolerable, and I had nothing to compare it too. Downhill at high speeds (35+ mph) it was pretty sketchy... Which I chalked up to inexperience in the TT position.

Last year I built a tri bike (cervelo p3sl), got a professional fit.... And it is night and day different. I have zero worries about instability at speed or in gusts. It just rides.
Quote Reply
Re: Would a tri bike be less squirrelly handling than redshift setup on a road bike? [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just made the leap from that to a Felt DA. Much more stable.

Particularly at higher speeds and bumps. Or laying watts out for a kom attempt.

If you can buy used or have it in budget, it’s nice.

I don’t feel that when the stars align it’s worlds faster depending how well you have the position tuned. But stability is worth time on the skis and watts depending on the situation.
Quote Reply
Re: Would a tri bike be less squirrelly handling than redshift setup on a road bike? [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pretty big difference for me. Same kit, helmet, wheels, seat, tires, and cockpit on both bikes. Differences are the frame and position:

Road + Redshift CdA = 0.29
P3sl CdA = 0.23

Those are field tested numbers.

Just couldn't get low and forward enough on the road bike. Even with the longest steepest stem available. I wouldn't have trusted the handling any lower or more forward, anyway. I was already looking backwards at my front hub.
Quote Reply
Re: Would a tri bike be less squirrelly handling than redshift setup on a road bike? [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
okay, well this sounds good, thanks guys. I'll keep an eye out for tri bikes that pop up for sale.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
my god. the last 30 years gone. poof.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Would a tri bike be less squirrelly handling than redshift setup on a road bike? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cut him some slack...hes only been on ST since 2006.
Quote Reply
Re: Would a tri bike be less squirrelly handling than redshift setup on a road bike? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
my god. the last 30 years gone. poof.

haha I have to buy a QR bike now, don't I.
Quote Reply