Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

US Army in the Iraq War
Quote | Reply
Here is a link to the US Army War College publication site where you can read vol. 1 for yourself.

http://publications.armywarcollege.edu/pubs/3667.pdf

Gen Mark Milley explains the "why" of this historical effort by the Army.

"
We have а professional and moral responsibility to learn the relevant lessons of the
recent past. OIF is а sober reminder that technological advantages and standoff weapons
alone cannot render a decision; that the promise of short wars is often elusive; that the
ends, ways, and means must be in balance; that our Army must understand the type of
war we are engaged with in order to adapt as necessary; that decisions in war occur on
the ground in the mud and dirt; and that timeless factors such as human agency, chance,
and an enemy’s conviction, all shape а war’s outcome"

The Army does not go to war alone so this study also examines our joint partners: USAF, Navy, and most especially our Devil Dog brothers who embarked on this effort with us--as well as the British Armed Forces and other allies who fought beside us.

I was there. I've just begun reading it and it's already hard going to see how we F'd this up at the strategic and operational level from the get go. But one of the marks of a true profession is the ability of introspection and self-correction. This is what we're trying to get at here.

I'll resume reading it next week. I fly downrange tomorrow night for my last rotation into that shithole of a theater.

take good care
/r

The

Steve
Quote Reply
Re: US Army in the Iraq War [Steve Hawley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the link, Steve. I'll add it to my "must read" list.

Be safe out there.

-Mike

"100% of the people who confuse correlation and causation end up dying."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Steve Hawley wrote:
I've just begun reading it and it's already hard going to see how we F'd this up at the strategic and operational level from the get go.

It's not all your fault (the royal you). Strategic and operational plans must interact well with political direction. That communication could have been better, probably on both sides, but at least in some instances very distinctly on the side of the civilian government.

And I don't mean "political" in any pejorative sense here. Politics are how decisions are made in our civilian government.

Edit: On my reading list too.
Last edited by: trail: Jan 18, 19 10:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We're still at war in Iraq. Mostly in the north along the border. My son deploys there (again) in a couple of months.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It will be interesting to read/see if any of the lessons learned from Vietnam carried over - tactically and politically.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks, Steve! That's number one on my reading list tonight. Professional military education is always a good thing.

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Be safe!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Will definitely check this out. After I got out, I put most/all military reading aside for awhile...just didn't have any passion for looking at it. Started picking it back up lately and this will make the list.

Stay safe out there... keep your head low and your ass lower..since it's embarrassing getting shot in the ass.

I talk to myself because mine are the only answers I'll accept - George Carlin
Quote Reply