Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: another Taren swim vid. [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think elites tend to keep things a lot simpler than AG'ers

Big BOOM on that generally. You can make this as complicated or as simple as you want. Indeed, many AG-ers, are taken-aback by how straight-forward, spartan and basic the training is for many elite level runners, cyclists and triathletes. Go see what the Kenyans do!

As for the swimming, where many triathletes making the transition from pool to open-water swim racing lose out is on the strategy part. To really take advantage of the situation you really have to toss out the form sheets, and what you "should be" doing and do this: Go out harder than you should for the first 400m or so - then when you start to fade a bit jump on feet or into a good pack that comes by and hang on for dear-life! Executed and done well, in an IM swim this could be 2 - 3 mim. time savings for swimmers in the 60 - 65 min. swim range, right there!

Of course it could all blow up spectacularly on you - but that is the chance you have to take, that's racing, and that's why you will have few Coaches advocating athlete try this!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: another Taren swim vid. [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fast 400m, find feet and hang on. Ditto that. Hence importance of training for that 400.
Quote Reply
Re: another Taren swim vid. [Mark57] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I really wish he would stop saying "trainiacs" it's cringworthy..
Quote Reply
Re: another Taren swim vid. [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sure, but if you don’t prepare for that scenario then you’re gonna be in a world of hurt.

Fleck wrote:
I think elites tend to keep things a lot simpler than AG'ers

Big BOOM on that generally. You can make this as complicated or as simple as you want. Indeed, many AG-ers, are taken-aback by how straight-forward, spartan and basic the training is for many elite level runners, cyclists and triathletes. Go see what the Kenyans do!

As for the swimming, where many triathletes making the transition from pool to open-water swim racing lose out is on the strategy part. To really take advantage of the situation you really have to toss out the form sheets, and what you "should be" doing and do this: Go out harder than you should for the first 400m or so - then when you start to fade a bit jump on feet or into a good pack that comes by and hang on for dear-life! Executed and done well, in an IM swim this could be 2 - 3 mim. time savings for swimmers in the 60 - 65 min. swim range, right there!

Of course it could all blow up spectacularly on you - but that is the chance you have to take, that's racing, and that's why you will have few Coaches advocating athlete try this!

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: another Taren swim vid. [domingjm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven't gotten the impression from any of the content I've seen that triathlon swimming is that much different. What is different is the skill level people are starting with - seems like Gerry (and Taren's audience) have a lot less experience swimming as kids. I'll buy the idea that learning to swim as a kid can make a difference - if you grew up swimming tens of thousands of yards/meters a week, you're starting off way better than someone who took up triathlon after college or later.

Throw on top of that the open water part, and I think a lot of it is about making someone comfortable in the water, and confident enough to be in the open water. So if you have to slightly exaggerate those items as "skills" to help the learning process, so be it. Seems like regardless of methodology that Gerry's a good swim coach

Chasing PB Podcast Latest interview with Eli Hemming on Targeting a US MTR spot in Tokyo
Quote Reply

Prev Next