Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Boston
Quote | Reply
Haven't been there in over 20 years but I will be there for 2 days next week. What amazing things should I do within walking distance of Boston Commons?

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Quote Reply
Re: Boston [veganerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just make sure you learn the language.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also, make sure you know the standard Boston greeting: "Hey! How's your mutha?"

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Boston [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good stuff!

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Boston sucks. Bruins suck. Red Sox Suck. Patriots suck. Celtics suck.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Boston [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
Isn't it just 'Yankees suck'?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Walk, walk and walk

The greenway between Faneuil Hall and the North End (food), and waterfront makes it much more enjoyable than before.

Standard finds of museums, theater, concerts etc. Club Passim in Cambridge for music.

Place should be hyped as we prepare for Super Bowl once again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's going to be cold AF here during the first part of the week so dress accordingly. That said, it's a great walking city. Would definitely recommend the North End (Mike's Pastry is overrated IMO, go to the Modern or Bova instead), the MFA if museums are your thing. For a good local coffee shop, there are a few Boston Common Coffee locations downtown (closest to where you are is in Downtown Crossing).

Given your user name, hop on the Red Line to Central Square in Cambridge to check out Life Alive (right next to Cambridge City Hall). Great bowls there that are worth going out of your way for.

Hope this helps, enjoy your stay!

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Re: Boston [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:

Quote Reply
Re: Boston [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
Just make sure you learn the language.

Here are some better primers.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Almost forgot to add: beer - swing by Trillium on Congress St in the Seaport. Pricey but well worth it if you are into craft brews. Good eats there also.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Re: Boston [Brian in MA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brian in MA wrote:
It's going to be cold AF here during the first part of the week so dress accordingly. That said, it's a great walking city. Would definitely recommend the North End (Mike's Pastry is overrated IMO, go to the Modern or Bova instead), the MFA if museums are your thing. For a good local coffee shop, there are a few Boston Common Coffee locations downtown (closest to where you are is in Downtown Crossing).

Given your user name, hop on the Red Line to Central Square in Cambridge to check out Life Alive (right next to Cambridge City Hall). Great bowls there that are worth going out of your way for.

Hope this helps, enjoy your stay!

Good suggestions here. If you're in Central or Harvard Sq, Middle East is good for music; Miracle of Science and People's Republik are decent places to have a beer; 1369 coffeeshop on Mass Ave was my go-to when I lived around the corner. A little hokey maybe, but I like the planetarium at the Museum of Science. The Mapparium at the Mary Baker Eddy Museum is neat, and afterward if you're a sneakerhead or just like a momentary thrill of walking into a 'secret' room, you can go to Bodega on Clearway St. (it's a sneakershop that you get into via a fake Bodega).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
veganerd wrote:
Haven't been there in over 20 years but I will be there for 2 days next week. What amazing things should I do within walking distance of Boston Commons?

Not sure what you should do, but don't spend any time looking for the SB52 Lombardi Trophy. That's in Philly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
veganerd wrote:

The whole city is within walking distance from the Common. Not plural, no S unless you want to get punched.

OK, not Mattapan or JP but you aren't going to go there anyway.

If it were summer, a run along the Charles is very nice on either the Boston or the Cambridge side.

Harvard has great museums. One of them (art museum) is a new building by Renzo Piano.
The BSA (Boston Society of Architects, architects.org ) does tours during the summer, walking and boat. They should have some self guided info now.
If your here on a weekend, the MBTA is doing cheap commuter rail rides - you can take the train out of North Station (under the TD Garden) to Salem
Quote Reply
Re: Boston [Brian in MA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brian in MA wrote:
Almost forgot to add: beer - swing by Trillium on Congress St in the Seaport. Pricey but well worth it if you are into craft brews. Good eats there also.

Harpoon, even further south off Seaport, does tours but it's a true brewery.
Downeast Cider is in East Boston with a taproom. Close to the Maverick Blue Line stop.

In the summer, Trillium and Downeast both have beer gardens on the Greenway, but I think they are both closed now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the historic tour - see the old graveyard, very cool

marathon finish line (green line on the T to copley) is a fun thing if you like running

there's a commuter rail to salem, takes about half an hour, if you want to see witch stuff

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The whole city is walkable in a day. Seriously. I did it in a day.

The library is great and not usually on the list of things to visit
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Museum of fine arts, walk through beacon hill and Charles street, dinner at a great north end restaurant...I can give great recommendations. Avoid the touristy restaurants in the north end. Beers in a cool old pub somewhere. Over the river to cool museums in Harvard sq or walk around the university. The library is cool as mentioned above.

I would avoid Salem, I think it’s kind of lame but they have a great museum that has a lot of old whaling and ship artifacts called the Peabody Essex museum.
Quote Reply