Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Attending grief support groups
Quote | Reply
Here at work, they have starting, next week, a grief support group(6 weekly meetings only). I am going and have told a couple coworkers that have had recent, hard losses. We were chatting a bit today about going but it turned into a grief competition-one woman has had a lot of deaths in her family in a very short period(like 5 in 2 years). Horrible. She wins. She kept saying " you just have no idea....". I tried to be a supportive as one grieving person can be to another.

What has folks' experience been with these groups? I was initially so glad to go but now have reservations. A) I have no intention on playing the "I have it worse that you" game. B) I slightly feel uncomfortable baring pain in front of people I see daily. It may be good for me???
Are these groups generally helpful?

Thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: Attending grief support groups [cayenne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not my cup of tea.

But I’m completely fucked up, so there’s that.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe not the same thing, but I've been to mandatory Critical Incident Stress Counseling. Not my thing and I would have avoided it if I had been given a choice. It was a bunch of people trying to make more of an event then it deserved. Death is part of life, and bad things happen. Move on and let it pass.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Who cares what other people have experienced - they are their experiences, not yours. Why don't you try one session and see how it goes?

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Our first child was born 3 months premature, lived for two days, then died. My wife and I went to grief support meetings for other parents like us. I only made it to two meetings. They were so incredibly depressing for me. I'm not one to share my feelings well with strangers and many of the other parents had genuinely worse experiences than us. I thought I was handling my grief well and appropriately, and would feel 100 times worse after the meeting. I refused to go after the second meeting. My wife kept going, made some friends, shared her feelings, and seemed to benefit from them. So try one or two and see if they work for you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it looks to be helpful and needed for you, then by all means stay with it.

But part of what stood out in your post was the connection that this done through work. That makes it feel weird and uncomfortable too. And that unease would probably limit how open and therefore how helpful the sessions could/should be. (Unless that nature of work involves grief and suffering, so employees need support to be able to cope?)

What if you found out that one of your direct-reports were in the group? Or your immediate boss? I imagine that could complicate work relationships ... Do you favor them in some way with less stressful assignments? Or if business requires tough decisions about letting them go, does this come into play? .... Does HR then have this on your file? How might that be used in employee evaluations, and succession plans? ... And a whole bunch of other issues can come up.

And if you're all sitting around in a support group at work, shouldn't you all be working instead?

Unless it's work related, keeping personal stuff separate works best.
Quote Reply