Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

toenail blister questions
Quote | Reply
Sorry for the boring ?'s but why do you get blisters under the toenail? I've increased my running a bit (not all that much) - using the same 3 pairs of shoes - same socks and I got a blister under my 2nd toenail. What causes this? Is it just pressure over the nail from foot swelling? Shoes seem roomy toe-wise....any preventive measures work well and easily? And my 2nd toe is not longer than my big toe.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: toenail blister questions [daveinmammoth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I get these also, on the second toes (which are far shorter than the big toe), but they alternate between blisters and full-out black toenails, or lose the toenails altogether.

Tends to happen to me on the longer runs, 2hrs+ and particulary on hot days, when the feet swell and a shoe which causes no problems on a run 1-2hrs longs, bangs the toes up as the feet swell...

Ive started buying running shoes two sizes larger, (they feel like clownshoes at first, but you get used to it) and just tying them so the laces are tight at the top, preventing the foot from hitting the front, and loose at the bottom, so the feet have room to expand when they swell.

Ive had really good results using BodyGlide on the tips of the toes for long runs. Ran my fall trail50k with no problems whatsoever, just with really good BodyGlide application.

hope this helps
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to have these all the time. last season after two weeks of 85mi running, I have 2 toenails left...
never painful, but my wife told me to stop wearing sandals as people may think I am some homeless bum...
anyway, changed my shoes, and no more of these.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've lost three big toenails, one for each IM I've done. I've never had a problem during long training runs, but for some reason during these races it happens.

I'm guessing it's a result of the hills on the run course combined with the rest of the day. The end result is a blood blister under the toenail that has to be drilled to release the pressure. Until the pressure's released it hurts like hell, but once the blood is drained it's no big deal - with except of a black nail and the 6-8 months that it takes have the new nail grow back in.

3 for 3...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm almost always either losing toenails or in the process of them growing back - currently have 4 growing back.

I just got up to that chapter in "Fixing Your Feet". John Vonhof says it is the repetitive banging of your toes against the front of the shoe and that some people are more prone to it that others.

You might need to lace your shoe differently to keep your heel back in the shoe which is what I am currently trying.
Quote Reply