Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

what does amazon do internally over stolen parcels
Quote | Reply
I ordered an item that was about 300 dollars

it showed up as delivered and handed to resident online. it wasnt, we were away and it was not handed to a neighbour

I wrote to them, they sent another, again, was out for delivery friday, saw it tracked all the way to my house - not delivered as I was out. received a message saying it would be redelivered

Next day, get email saying out for delivery, the tracked on the email stops working, get email saying its not going to be delivered then an hour later email saying it was delivered handed to resident

It wasnt, there were eight people in the house, lights on etc

Its simply been stolen by someone in the delivery chain

what does amazon do about this - theyve refunded my money, but its a 600 dollar loss, almost certainly more than the delivery drivers make per week - what happens?
Quote Reply
Re: what does amazon do internally over stolen parcels [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do some work with a shipping company that works with amazon. Nothing really happens. Sometimes those packages are not lost and they end up back at the warehouse. Sometimes they're stolen, sometimes they're damaged and marked as delivered by mistake or carelessness. Missing packages happen "often" but not as often as you would think. If a driver has a handful of packages missing out of a few thousand deliveries, that's a lot. Drivers do have to pass background checks and drug screens before being hired. Finally, they have no idea what is in the packages so it is unlikely the driver is stealing it. It could be something worth a couple thousand dollars or something worth five bucks. Its just another package to drop off so they can go home.

Here is how to ensure delivery: have it delivered to an amazon locker, its free and only you can retrieve it. It may be a slight hassle for you, but it guarantees you will get your package. You can also change your delivery settings to require a signature. That may fix the issue but its not foolproof.

Finally, they more than $600/week. In minneapolis they make between $160-$190/day salary plus benefits. The faster they deliver, the quicker they go home which is why some of them are careless.

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Quote Reply
Re: what does amazon do internally over stolen parcels [veganerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can do a drop off point. I'm not sure drivers here in Europe make that kind of cash

That said, it's a remarkable coincidence that the same item disappears two weeks in a row but every other package makes it
Quote Reply
Re: what does amazon do internally over stolen parcels [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:
I can do a drop off point. I'm not sure drivers here in Europe make that kind of cash

That said, it's a remarkable coincidence that the same item disappears two weeks in a row but every other package makes it

If it is shipped in its own package with advertisements on it, that could explain it getting repeatedly stolen. Most items are not shipped that way for that reason, but some still are.

I have only ever had 2 packages stolen and both were less than $20. Luckily no larger ticket items have gone missing.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wouldn't this be an issue between Amazon and the delivery company? Maybe it's built into the shipping rates they get from the company.
Quote Reply
Re: what does amazon do internally over stolen parcels [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess. They sent it twic and refunded me, so they're 900 out of pocket
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As far as I remember when I ordered something relatively expensive ($500 automatic watch) it came by courier and I had to sign for it and show ID. That was a few years ago in Canada so things may be different now.

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Re: what does amazon do internally over stolen parcels [Guffaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've talked to drivers who delivered macbooks, in the standard apple box, and left it on the porch. That's a rare occurence, but not against the rules. Most packages are in the amazon boxes or envelopes.

Quote Reply
Re: what does amazon do internally over stolen parcels [veganerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
veganerd wrote:
I've talked to drivers who delivered macbooks, in the standard apple box, and left it on the porch. That's a rare occurence, but not against the rules. Most packages are in the amazon boxes or envelopes.

Yesterday my postman dropped two packages In view of the street on my door. He left our mail between them rather than in our locked box. Including our W2s! So created an enticement on our doorstep with all of our private financial information. Yay!
Quote Reply
Re: what does amazon do internally over stolen parcels [Moonrocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Moonrocket wrote:
veganerd wrote:

Yesterday my postman dropped two packages In view of the street on my door. He left our mail between them rather than in our locked box. Including our W2s! So created an enticement on our doorstep with all of our private financial information. Yay!

My mailman delivered me someone else's passport.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When we lived in Spain, we didn't have a number address but rather a written description of the tiny roads needed to reach our house. They tried sending a package a couple of times and then banned us from ordering anything.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I swear we make money on our prime membership.

We ordered a $400 crib from them. It didn't arrive, so we touched base. The resent a new crib for next day delivery.

The next day, both cribs showed up. Again, we contacted them and they told us to keep both cribs. We were only charged for one. So we sold the second one.

Stuff like this happens to us fairly regularly.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All my Amazon deliveries are left on my porch and I get message on my phone with a picture of the box minutes after delivery. Sometimes the delivery guys ring the bell and sometimes they don't.

So far, knock on wood, none of my Amazon packages were stolen.
Quote Reply
Re: what does amazon do internally over stolen parcels [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
I swear we make money on our prime membership.

We ordered a $400 crib from them. It didn't arrive, so we touched base. The resent a new crib for next day delivery.

The next day, both cribs showed up. Again, we contacted them and they told us to keep both cribs. We were only charged for one. So we sold the second one.

Stuff like this happens to us fairly regularly.

I had the same thing happen with some skis; but they were a "2 pairs for the price of 1" deal. I wound up with 4 pairs, and the vendor told me to keep the extras. I Ebayed 2 pairs and received more than I had paid, so I did make money on the deal+cockup.
Quote Reply