Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Felt Ia or BMC Timemachine tm01 or Trek Speedconcept
Quote | Reply
Hi- looking to upgrade. I’m a 5’10” 143# woman. Bike fitter suggested the medium long time machine, 56cm Ia, and I am somewhere between a medium and large speedconcept. I like the BMC but seems to be a little more money for what you get. Felt looks awesome, price is better but concerned about getting blown around. Trek gives me pause because I am in the grey between sizes. Any thought?
Quote Reply
Re: Felt Ia or BMC Timemachine tm01 or Trek Speedconcept [MarinNeve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MarinNeve wrote:
Hi- looking to upgrade. I’m a 5’10” 143# woman. Bike fitter suggested the medium long time machine, 56cm Ia, and I am somewhere between a medium and large speedconcept. I like the BMC but seems to be a little more money for what you get. Felt looks awesome, price is better but concerned about getting blown around. Trek gives me pause because I am in the grey between sizes. Any thought?
Think you might need a second opinion on your fit. Pretty sure those options are too big.

What fit coordinates did your fitter give you?

Trent Nix
Owned and operated Tri Shop
F.I.S.T. Advanced Certified Fitter | Retul Master Certified Fitter (back when those were things)
Quote Reply
Re: Felt Ia or BMC Timemachine tm01 or Trek Speedconcept [MarinNeve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ditto trentnix... I am a 5-10 185 lb. male, and I ride a 54 Felt IA. And, I definitely would not want anything larger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ditto Trent again, I had. 54 IAXX and was too big at 5 foot 8.

Ride a IAX now in a 51 with trents help.
Quote Reply
Re: Felt Ia or BMC Timemachine tm01 or Trek Speedconcept [trentnix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hmm, interesting. I am on an Argon18 e117 medium. I need the seat back to keep my knees from hurting, this then makes the reach too long. Where I am comfortable on the bike, is when mid-forearm is resting on the pad. I can't shift like this and end up crawling myself forward to shift. I get pretty sore on my forearms from doing this but it is better then the back pain. The fitter used a fit bike to find my numbers, felt so much better than Argon, pads in right spot and shortened the crank. I attached what I was given, so appreciate the feedback.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nothing amiss in that report - armpad stack/reach definitely justify the sizes you were recommended. Armpad drop and saddle position are also a good sign.

Any pictures of the fit? That would help the most.

Trent Nix
F.I.S.T. Advanced Certified Fitter | Retul Master Certified Fitter (back when those were things)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IF it's a good position, you're not in-between sizes on the Trek, you're a medium with a Med-Far stem. Pics or video of the position?

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are getting fit help/verification here from some heavyweights. IMO the SC is the best for the $ if it fits like Jim says it does. Get that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MarinNeve wrote:
Felt looks awesome, price is better but concerned about getting blown around.
Granted, I am a bigger fella, but I have never felt like I have been blown around on my Felt IA. And, my 3nd ride ever on mine was a Half Ironman with 30 MPH gusts that did not bother me. (The wind did blow a friend of mine on a Cervelo P2 into the traffic cones, so the wind was legit.) And, some relatively small women have won Kona many times on a Felt IA, and Kona has big wind.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All good bikes, had the felt and have a trek now. Trek will give you slightly better integration. BMC has a very nice front end. I looked at all those bikes as well entering 2019, I chose Trek. I am male and 5’11 and am on a med trek, if my legs where a little longer I would just fit on a large trek. Having ridden a Felt IA FRD for a year you won’t get blown around anymore then on a trek I promise. Trek is going to be your best value buy out of these bikes.

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Re: Felt Ia or BMC Timemachine tm01 or Trek Speedconcept [trentnix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trentnix wrote:
MarinNeve wrote:
Think you might need a second opinion on your fit. Pretty sure those options are too big.

What fit coordinates did your fitter give you?

we shouldn't be so quick to dismiss bikes as too large without seeing pics or hearing the fitter's philosophy first. A 5'10" person with a proper TT fit as fit by me would most definitely be on a medium-long BMC... the 56 Felt and Large SC would be stack dependent, ie. those two options provide the reach needed but might be too high in stack.

Eric

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
what did you decide? Can you post pics of your fit?

Eric

MarinNeve wrote:

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i know this is old, but what exactly is grip referring to in the fit sheet? 5.6" from back of pad to front of grip, a great many pads are 100mm, so only 42mm beyond that? 1.5" grip must not mean extension
Quote Reply
Re: Felt Ia or BMC Timemachine tm01 or Trek Speedconcept [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jeffp wrote:
i know this is old, but what exactly is grip referring to in the fit sheet? 5.6" from back of pad to front of grip, a great many pads are 100mm, so only 42mm beyond that? 1.5" grip must not mean extension
I honestly don't pay any attention to "grip" or extension measurements on a Retul report for a tri bike. There can be variance in how it's measured (end of the shifter or where the shifter starts? etc.) and it's generally limited by the aerobars used during the fit.

Like saddle angle, I judge it by eye. The measurements that matter most are the contact points: cleat position (not measured on a Retul Zin report), saddle position (and saddle type), and armpad position. You get those right and the rest is easy.

Trent Nix
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i thought the numbers made the fit seem very scrunched up even for an extremely long legged 5-10 gal
Quote Reply
Re: Felt Ia or BMC Timemachine tm01 or Trek Speedconcept [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jeffp wrote:
i thought the numbers made the fit seem very scrunched up even for an extremely long legged 5-10 gal
441 to the armpad isn't out of the ordinary. And as I mentioned, you shouldn't give the grip measurements much credence at all. But to your point, without photos it's impossible to tell.

An evaluation of her fit isn't exactly the exercise here. It's an evaluation of whether the bike sizes prescribed will work. And in all cases, a longer reach is easy to obtain, so even if she is "scrunched" it can likely be rectified successfully on any of those bikes.

Trent Nix
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
except the grip reach would mean that the back of armrests are just behind her wrists, as it appears to read
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jeffp wrote:
except the grip reach would mean that the back of armrests are just behind her wrists, as it appears to read
As I said, because of variance in how that is measured (by the person using the Retul Zin tool), you shouldn't put any stock in the reported measurement at all. The rider may very well be choking up too much, but that's pretty easy to rectify with an adjustment to the extensions or new extensions.

A picture of the rider on the bike would make it easy to determine what the best course of action would be, if any action is necessary at all.

Trent Nix
Last edited by: trentnix: Feb 5, 19 17:26
Quote Reply