Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Pay the Teachers LA [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mck414 wrote:
efernand wrote:
Quote:
That said many of my friends with children with learning disabilities rave about it.

I thought that was one of the big hits against charter schools, that they don't have to shoulder the burden on special ed?

I can't speak for CA school districts, here in CO (Cherry Creek School District), my wife is a Special Ed teacher. I just learned the other day, the district HAS to provide spec ed testing to students who attend private fucking schools! My wife was just assigned a young student who attends a local christian school, and her parents want her tested, sooooooooo the district requires the school in the student's neighborhood to drop everything else they're doing to test a student who does not go to that school! That blew my mind, if the parents what their child tested, then they should pay for it, not place the financial and resource burden on the public school.

As for charter school providing or not providing spec ed services, I'll have to ask my better half.

Why? The parents in that school district are paying just as much in taxes to pay for that public school as the parents who have kids attending. In fact, the parents with kids in private schools are godsend because they pay for the public school, but, take nothing from it.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Pay the Teachers LA [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Charter schools are not required to admit and provide services to children with special needs.
---

I don't think this is universally true.

In NY, we have a charter school system and it's wrought with problems. One of those is the stress instituted by the state to maintain a special education admittance rate/ ratio similar to the public school counterparts. If this doesn't happen, then the charter is at risk of losing its funding. SpEd students must then be given all of the services required to them as listed in their IEP, by law. Charter schools in our area are not allowed to 'select' students. Students are allowed to select schools based on the charter's 'focus'. If there are more students selecting the school than the ratio outlined in their constitution, then students are selected based on a lottery system. It's weird how the state wants the charters to maintain certain ratios but doesn't allow them to control admissions.

Also, in our system's list of charter school problems, the state pays the public school district its due per child in the district. If the child chooses a charter school, funds are then transferred from the district to the charter at a 75% transfer rate. Meaning that the district still gets paid 25% for not teaching the child. Our schools are a mess, especially in the most needy area.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Pay the Teachers LA [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
Charter schools are not required to admit and provide services to children with special needs.
---

I don't think this is universally true.

In NY, we have a charter school system and it's wrought with problems. One of those is the stress instituted by the state to maintain a special education admittance rate/ ratio similar to the public school counterparts. If this doesn't happen, then the charter is at risk of losing its funding. SpEd students must then be given all of the services required to them as listed in their IEP, by law. Charter schools in our area are not allowed to 'select' students. Students are allowed to select schools based on the charter's 'focus'. If there are more students selecting the school than the ratio outlined in their constitution, then students are selected based on a lottery system. It's weird how the state wants the charters to maintain certain ratios but doesn't allow them to control admissions.

Also, in our system's list of charter school problems, the state pays the public school district its due per child in the district. If the child chooses a charter school, funds are then transferred from the district to the charter at a 75% transfer rate. Meaning that the district still gets paid 25% for not teaching the child. Our schools are a mess, especially in the most needy area.

I'm not sure that is entirely true, but, you are right, NY does impose additional admission obligations not imposed in some other states. According to the NY Dept of Ed website, the resident school district, not the charter school, is the LEA and is responsible for obtaining federal IDEA funds for services provided to the student. The resident school district is responsible for developing the IEP and determining whether the charter school provides services to meet the IEP. If the charter school does not offer those services, the resident school district, as the LEA, is responsible for obtaining services for the special needs student enrolled in the charter school. Charter schools are exempt from State requirements relating to class size and instructional groupings, and innovative approaches by the charter school to the delivery of special education services that are consistent with the IDEA, the Rehabilitation Act and Federal regulations should be accommodated. So, the charter school is not required to provided the same level of special ed services as the resident school district.

http://www.p12.nysed.gov/...ter/specialeduc.html

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Pay the Teachers LA [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mck414 wrote:

I can't speak for CA school districts, here in CO (Cherry Creek School District), my wife is a Special Ed teacher. I just learned the other day, the district HAS to provide spec ed testing to students who attend private fucking schools!

I'm not sure how schools are funded in CO, but in TX, they are funded off property taxes. In that case, it doesn't matter if you have kids in public school, private school, or don't have any kids. You still pay the full value in taxes.
Quote Reply
Re: Pay the Teachers LA [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That makes sense. There was a kid in my sons grade (different class) and he was a holy terror. He was routinely pulled out of class for being disruptive. The parents said they were trying to work on his behavior, but in our time spent with the family it was very evident they were not trying very hard.
Quote Reply
Re: Pay the Teachers LA [Traket92x] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Traket92x wrote:
mck414 wrote:

I can't speak for CA school districts, here in CO (Cherry Creek School District), my wife is a Special Ed teacher. I just learned the other day, the district HAS to provide spec ed testing to students who attend private fucking schools!

I'm not sure how schools are funded in CO, but in TX, they are funded off property taxes. In that case, it doesn't matter if you have kids in public school, private school, or don't have any kids. You still pay the full value in taxes.

It works in the same in CO.
Quote Reply
Re: Pay the Teachers LA [Perseus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That was something that I struggled with. Schools will bend over backwards to accommodate the one kid who's causing all the problems. *Usually* it is a kid who has been identified to have some sort of legit psychological problems.

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
Crank wrote:
I read somewhere that LA Unified wants to raise class size to 50. F*ck that.

Not quite.

Class size: An independent report noted that the two sides can’t agree on how to calculate class size, but it is clear that classes in Los Angeles are big. The district has offered to cap classes at 35 students in grades 4-6; 39 students in middle and high school English and math; and 32 students at elementary schools that serve many low-income children. Nationally, average class sizes in urban schools ranged between 16 and 28 students, depending on grade level and how the school was organized, according to the National Teacher and Principal Survey for 2015-2016.

You got me. The issue appears to be the reality in the classroom, which is too-high class sizes:

In an op-ed for the Los Angeles Times, Alex Caputo-Pearl explains why class size was such an important issue for educators. "Class sizes often exceed 45 students in secondary schools; 35 students in upper elementary grades; and 25 students in lower elementary grades," he writes. "It is downright shameful that the richest state in the country ranks 43rd out of 50 when it comes to per-pupil spending."
Mike Finn, a special education teacher in Los Feliz, tells USA Today that he has 46 students in one composition class, and calls the conditions "unmanageable."
"I have watched class sizes go up and up," he says. "Everybody's talking class size."
https://www.cnbc.com/...n-strike-today-.html

War is god
Quote Reply
Re: Pay the Teachers LA [Crank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Crank wrote:
JSA wrote:
Crank wrote:
I read somewhere that LA Unified wants to raise class size to 50. F*ck that.

Not quite.

Class size: An independent report noted that the two sides can’t agree on how to calculate class size, but it is clear that classes in Los Angeles are big. The district has offered to cap classes at 35 students in grades 4-6; 39 students in middle and high school English and math; and 32 students at elementary schools that serve many low-income children. Nationally, average class sizes in urban schools ranged between 16 and 28 students, depending on grade level and how the school was organized, according to the National Teacher and Principal Survey for 2015-2016.

You got me. The issue appears to be the reality in the classroom, which is too-high class sizes:

In an op-ed for the Los Angeles Times, Alex Caputo-Pearl explains why class size was such an important issue for educators. "Class sizes often exceed 45 students in secondary schools; 35 students in upper elementary grades; and 25 students in lower elementary grades," he writes. "It is downright shameful that the richest state in the country ranks 43rd out of 50 when it comes to per-pupil spending."
Mike Finn, a special education teacher in Los Feliz, tells USA Today that he has 46 students in one composition class, and calls the conditions "unmanageable."
"I have watched class sizes go up and up," he says. "Everybody's talking class size."
https://www.cnbc.com/...n-strike-today-.html

It wasn't intended to be a "gotcha." It was intended to clarify the positions of the parties and provide info regarding the last offer by the District.

But, this strike isn't about class sizes, as evidenced by the Union's rejection of the District's offer.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Weird, and there are no republicans to blame for this. And they are only asking for 6.5%? Now if it has been republicans in power, they would be asking for a lot more.
Quote Reply

Prev Next