Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: What can be worse other than a death of a loved one? [Tom H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your students must love your daily lectures about how you think the world should be.

What kind of teacher would waste limited class time talking about that?

My students can tell how I think the world should be by how I conduct myself. I am always prepared for class. I speak and dress professionally. I take responsibility for my mistakes and successes. That speaks loouder than lip service.

I certainly hope teachers aren't using classtime to verbalize their complaints, etc.

=======================
-- Every morning brings opportunity;
Each evening offers judgement. --
Quote Reply
Re: My friend had a bad day. [QuintanaRooster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
YIKES!!! nothing like some exciting reading first thing in the morning. our commpetiveness sure comes out in our postings.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I see that you changed the title of your post... very funny... NOT...

For those of you that found it a joke, and since you're changing the title, I'll suggest some:

"What can be worse other than losing a loved one that worked at the WTC"

"What can be worse other than losing a loved one that is in Iraq"

"What can be worse other than losing the carreer that you loved due to illness"

I guess that if one of those titles was up, maybe some people wouldn't find it funny after all...

-
"Yeah, no one likes a smartass, but we all like stars" - Thom Yorke

smartasscoach.tri-oeiras.com
Quote Reply
Re: What can be worse other than a death of a loved one? [Mr. Tibbs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gee whiz Tibbsy, I was attempting to engage you in playful banter not attack or provoke you. I assumed you really did enjoy the princess bride. The only two bad parts of the movie are that in real life the princess is married to Sean Penn and that she smokes. Yecch to both.

David
Quote Reply
Re: My friend had a bad day. [smartasscoach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I give the guy credit for taking some heat, changing the title, and not making a bigger deal out of than it was (like some of "us" .... me).

Did he use the best judgement in the world? No

Was it funny? No

Should he and his friend be upset his bike was wrecked? Yes

Do I think the guy intentionally set out to offend? No

Did others point out the error (opinion)? Yes

Is the situation corrected? Yes

All in all, I'm sure QR's friend will get a new bike, and I wish him well in his training. This thread shows that a person can be unintentionally insensitive, and those wishing to point that out can over-react.

=======================
Quote Reply
Re: What can be worse other than a death of a loved one? [bikerdude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry I just get real senitive when someone compares the loss of a soulless, unhardcore, no triathlon spirit bike to the death of my buddy
A-Dog. I know for fact Quintanarooster was talking about him. When he made the post he knew for a fact that I had just lost a friend in a training operation a couple of weeks ago. He knew it and he knew how I felt about it and he wrote that post agianst me. It wasn't funny!!! How can I go on? Look what the thell you've done QR!!!

YOU BASTARD!!!! YOU ARE THE CUASE OF ALL MY PAIN!!! YOU THINK YOUR YOUR SO CLEVER BUT ALL YOU DO IS DESTROY PEOPLE!!!! I HAVE TO TEACH CLASS NOW AND LECTURE THE KIDS ABOUT THE EVILS OF TREK BUT I CAN'T GO NOW BECAUSE YOU CAUSED MY FRIEND TO DIE!!! IT'S ALL YOU FAULT MY KITTY DIED WHEN I WAS 12!!! YOU WANT TO COME INTO MY HOUSE AND KILL MY FAMILY DON'T YOU!! DON'T YOU!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YOUR NOT FUNNY QR!!! YOUR NOT FUNNY!!!!!!!!! YOU HEART LESS FUCKER!!!!!!!!!!AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Re: My friend had a bad day. [TripleThreat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Last time I checked, whether something was funny or not was subjective.

I found it humorous (maybe not laugh out loud funny, but definitely humorous).

Perhaps we should start including labels in the Subject line to clue in potential readers that the posts are intended to have certain meaning. After all, we don't want to unintentionally offend someone who may have experienced something we couldn't possibly know about. Come to think of it, we should also include post submission disclaimers to avoid the inevitable lawsuits that will arise from such callous behavior. And to ultimately limit potential harm to our "victims" we should consult a medium prior to posting in order to tell us if one of the readers will take the post in a manner in which it wasn't intended.
Quote Reply
Re: My friend had a bad day. [steveperx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Humor is subjective. The guy told a story about his friend wrecking his bike and them being sick about it. Doesn't even seem like humor was implied. It'd be like me saying I injured my ankle, cannot train, and am upset about it. There is no humor implied.

I think folks are confusing pepole being direct and straight-forward with them being angry, and ready for blood or extremmely offended.

Disclaimers are not necessary, but realizing that all will interpret a post differently and comment as such is.

Taking my own medicine ... I've done a poor job illustrating my feelings. I am not typing with fists or crapping bricks.

Normaly I would have laughed off a post like this, but it occurred the day after my 2-year old son had a one-in-a-million accident when he fell into a chair, had a small piece of his nose tore off, glued back on in the ER, and awaits plastic surgery. Even as traumatic as that is to me and my my wife (and my son) we relaize many people deal with much worse situations EVERY day, and there's that little thing called a war going on, etc. So ... I commented. And I commented in a way some folks don't like ... I was direct and honest which doesn't always play so well on the internet where facial expressions, body language, and tone cannot be revealed. The internet is great for information, not so great for communication.

In hindsight, I should have just said "Dude, it's just a bike. Everyone is going to come out okay. You're buddy'll be training in no time" and left it at that. I didn't and look what happened. Hindsight.

I thought QR handled the situation beautifully and without drawing major attention to it. By all rights he is free to counterpoint each complaint/praise being made, which means telling some of us to kiss-butt(if he wishes) or whatever comments he feels is necessary. But chose a low-key, sutle, approach ... I liked that. I found it funny (not funny ha ha, but funny ironic). Everyone is argueing about the title of his post, and he changes it when no one is looking. Classic.

=======================
Last edited by: TripleThreat: Jan 27, 04 8:19
Quote Reply
Couple o' points, and then I'm burying the horse [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I found it humorous, because he was obviously over-exaggerating the loss a bike by comparing it to the loss of a loved one. Why was it humorous to me? Because, as a group, I find that we triathletes tend to treat our bikes like membes of the family. In doing so, I'm sure we look even more ridiculous to non-triathletes than people who treat pets like family members look to non-pet people. Bottom line is, yes, it was terrible that the friend lost his bike. No, it doesn't come close to comparing to the loss of a human (or in my opinion, an animal) loved one. But that's exactly where the humor comes in. Was it laugh-out-loud, guffaw type humor? Nope. But humorous, nonetheless... at least to me.

I think it was intended to be humorous. Problem is, he didn't think about how it would affect people who really have lost loved ones. However, can you REALLY blame him? I mean, how am I supposed to know you just had to take your son in to the emergency room after a scary fall? How am I supposed to know Tom D lost his mother a couple of weeks ago? How am I supposed to know that your values or morals or opinions are going to find that offensive? Some things are a sure bet (sexist humor is probably going to upset a lot of women, and probably some men, on this board), but some things aren't. This, IMHO, falls into the latter category.

Maybe posters and readers alike need to count to ten before posting an original thread or a reply, and really consider what the original poster was saying. I don't know. But for Pete's sake... do you think the original post warranted this much debate?

For the record, I haven't thought anyone was angry or out for blood, and I think QR handled it beautifully, too.
Quote Reply
Re: Couple o' points, and then I'm burying the horse [steveperx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But that's exactly where the humor comes in.

I haven't been in the game long enough to pick up dry, bike humor.

I know folks that have material items they value as much as their health (classic cars, electronics to be exact) and the health of their loved ones. Certainly there are triathletes that value their equipment more than what it is. That's apparent from how much conversation goes on about it. Initially, that's the perspective I looked at it from.

Then, I thought, that the guy was telling a story and it was unintentionally coming across as "out of whack" (whatever that means) ... so rather than assume my divine role as "perspective giver", I looked for the humor but did not see it. It came across rather literal to me.

It is impossible to know of indidivdual occurances, but it is possible to know of general situations. If the situation happenned to me or a buddy, I'd be pissed. I just wouldn't say so on a forum.

If QR was making a joke, or making light of the situation then that changes everything. I thought he was genuinely upset about it, and understandably so. I just didn't agree with saying it ... especially following the day when someone posted that their dog was attacked.

As far as my son goes ... people don't need to worry about stuff like that (and the other things you mentioned). In reality those are only important to those directly involved.

Like I said, I thought his post was serious, tried to invoke some perspective, and the all hell broke lose. It's the internet. It happens.

=======================
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hate to trivialize philosophical bent this topic has created with a bit of practical advice. I know my own ability to be a bone-head, so when I have a bike on the roof I take the garage-door opener off of the visor and throw it in the trunk.
Quote Reply
Well... now you're just being ridiculous! :) [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Practicality? We don't need no stinkin' practicality!

:)

-------------------------------------
Steve Perkins
Quote Reply
Re: What can be worse other than a death of a loved one? [Mr. Tibbs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He can't kill your family. You burned them up for a TitanFlex with Rotorcranks, remember?
Quote Reply
Re: What can be worse other than a death of a loved one? [Robert Preston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Crap! I was going to frame QR for it. Looks like the chair for me.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't speak for the other 39,999 people to whom you've admitted your crime, but for a portion of the insurance check I'll keep my mouth shut. How much, you ask? Just enough for something like a Litespeed Tuscany . . .
Quote Reply
Re: What can be worse other than a death of a loved one? [Robert Preston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Guys, Guys, Guys Chill out. All of us have dealt with loss in one way or another. It is obvious that there was no comparison to the death of a real-life person or animal or whatever. Should he have started with a different title? Maybe. All I can say is that a lot of you are ruining the biggest reason that I enjoy this sport; sense of humor while taking your body to its most realizable limits. When I suffer a loss of any kind, whether it be business or even my divorce, I have taken to the streets with either my bike or my running shoes. I rely on this sport to make a lot of my worries go away and I am a better person because of this sport. Hell, I will even go as far as saying that I am a better person because of people like you guys who said, 'don't give up' or 'keep going you are almost there' during some of my races/workouts. This sport is like a life to me and losing something like a bike would be devastating to me, but someone who understands this sports fully would have realized that there should be no comparison to life. If you don't agree with what someone says, then go on to the next post. Are you the kind of guys that were camping out on the grassy knoll in Texas because you didn't believe in the President? Calm down and have fun with this site. If you don't like something, move on.

Good luck to all. TripleThreat, I hope your kid never spills his/her milk or makes a mistake.
Quote Reply
Re: What can be worse other than a death of a loved one? [briantryintri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks.

Bro, you come in with a "chill out" post, hours after the situation is dissolved and handled. Why? It's over. Did you read the thread? It's over. I was just about to start the whole misunderstanding over again buy pointing out that it was a bike, but then I read your post and finally I realize the whole thread was just one misunderstanding after another. Thanks again. (with your sense of humor, I'm sure you're picking up the fun sarcasm)

If you don't agree with what someone says, then go on to the next post.

Yes, we must never disagree. That would be bad. No one should ever say anything to anyone else unless it is in total agreement. Someone's feelings might get hurt or self-esteem lowered if there was a disagreement. (again, this is all in fun)

Good luck to all. TripleThreat, I hope your kid never spills his/her milk or makes a mistake.

Did you read the whole thread or just one post? Don't come at us with all this "hey, let's keep it fun. Everybody hug. If you don't like something move on. If you can't say something nice at all, don't say anything" lecture, and then throw a smart-ass comment in there as everyone is leaving. Again, thanks for squashing the situation, it was out of control, until you got here. I think if you read the thread, you'll find that in the end everyone realized what they did right/wrong. Some of us even had a laugh at ourselves. Not everything said in the thread was dead serious.

Now, if you want to make this personal, it can be made personal. There were certainly more people than I that commented, if you want to call me out, then do so.

Figured I better translate this last paragraph before we're into another misunderstandingfest.

Translation: Use the private message function and we can get it straightened out.

=======================
Last edited by: TripleThreat: Jan 27, 04 15:33
Quote Reply
Re: What can be worse other than a death of a loved one? [briantryintri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 Post pulled as it was more appropriate for a PM.
Last edited by: jaylew: Jan 27, 04 16:09
Quote Reply
Re: What can be worse other than a death of a loved one? [jaylew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jaylew,

what you just wrote should have been written awhile ago. If that is the image I give off, then I am doing a poor job of representing myself. I am a very sarcastic and fun loving guy guy (think Jim carrey ... no kidding) ... that does not come across well on the net. As far as me thinking my opinions are right ... of course I think that. If I didn't they wouldn't be my opinions. Some of my opinions are really strong, like how I want the govenrment to be, etc. But, that doesn't mean that I think other opinions are wrong ... not all of them. Different is good. variety is what makes the world what it is.

If I agree with something, I generally don't comment. So, often the only things I will debate are things I don't agree with. That can lead to certain assumptions. I'm certainly not perfect, nor pretend to be. I don't even try to infer that in my posts.

The points about freedom, liberty, demands a certain "responsbile" tone, that does rub some the wrong way. I won't apologize for that.

So, If I am coming across as a high-handed, holier-than-thou horse's ass, then I am embarrassed at how I have represented myself. I live in a world where if one is being a dick, friends say "dude, you're being a dick", and the situation is then changed. I'm about as easy-goin' as it gets.

It bothers me that my posts are coming across as yelling, preaching, or commanding, rather than discussing. That is something I must work on.

If this be the case, I have some work to do.

--------------------------------------

The last part in my previous post about "being called out" done in a private manner ... I wasn't joking about that. I don't dig that kind of thing, and I try not to do it myself.

=======================
Quote Reply
Re: What can be worse other than a death of a loved one? [TripleThreat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

The last part in my previous post about "being called out" done in a private manner ... I wasn't joking about that. I don't dig that kind of thing, and I try not to do it myself.
That wasn't there when I was writing my post. I'll do that next time.
Quote Reply
Re: What can be worse other than a death of a loved one? [jaylew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Naw, asking me "what's your deal, man?" is called for. I have no problem with that. If I need to be set straight, then someone's got to do it. I had no idea that's how I was coming across. Everything I say needs to be used against me if it's warranted. I supply my real name as to be held accountable for what I say, and how I say it. I'm a confident guy, don't get me wrong ... but not at the expense of other people.

That private message bit was for the "peaceful, fun" guy that wanted to throw a jab as everyone was walking away. There's really no way to respond how I truely feel about that, without it turning ugly, so I'll bite the bullet on that one.

=======================
Quote Reply
Re: What can be worse other than a death of a loved one? [TripleThreat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Each morning brings opportunity, every evening bring judgement"

With that thought in mind, it doesn't take much reflection to realize what these past few days have been for me.

As I explained to QR a little earlier ... I guess with my son getting hurt and no one to blame, I've had a serious chip on my shoulder and looking to unload on something. That certainly doesn't justify anything I've said/done, but when looking for a source of the antogonistic attitude, that's likely it. Please, do not take that as someone that's using his son as an excuse to act like a jackass. I don't approve of that, and I don't wish to do that. The fault is squarely on my own inability to channel the anger in a positive way. I want to make that point crystal clear. I also passed off my behavior as "sarcasm", but that's like blaming a typhoon on a "mild breeze".

I don't apologize for certain comments, but I do for others (not just in this thread). For the comments I don't apologize for, I cetainly do regret the manner in which they were said. There are others that have had similar ideas, but voiced them in a much more reasonable and tolerable fashion (tri_bri_2 for example).

The purpose of this thread is to completely squash the stuff that can pollute a forum, at least the stuff I initiated. In other words, I don't want my behavior to lead to weeks upon weeks, of stuff that detracts from the intended goal of the forum.

I firmly believe that those that dish it out, also take it. The whole "make your bed, you lie in it" thing. So, to those that have some beefs to voice, please do so in a private message (as I should have done), so this doesn't continue. I won't dodge. Well, not until you pick up the sledgehammer anyway. *wink*

Not sure if this post is overkill or not, but if it is, I'd rather it be overkill in this manner, and not the other.

Anyway, tomorrow I'll direct my anger toward a more fitting source ... the street ... in the form of a long run that leaves me too tired to feel much of anything. That should have been my first move.

I know one act doesn't erase previous ones, but at least those in the sights, know where I stand.

-----------------------------------

=======================
Quote Reply

Prev Next