Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Gays don't belong in (Ground) Combat Units
Quote | Reply
So said certain folks many years ago, right here on this forum.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Gays don't belong in (Ground) Combat Units [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't doubt that was "said" in this forum. I am sure similar comments were made in this forum regarding women in ground combat units.

What's your point?

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I remember BKs comments specifically, which were:

1) It'll never work because its a bad idea

and

2) The military is awesome and will ultimately adapt and make it work

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Opinions change. Rather than using that to criticize someone, it should be celebrated.

For most people over 40, there was a time in their past when they either opposed gay marriage or would have had they considered it.
Quote Reply
Re: Gays don't belong in (Ground) Combat Units [AlanShearer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AlanShearer wrote:
Opinions change. Rather than using that to criticize someone, it should be celebrated.

For most people over 40, there was a time in their past when they either opposed gay marriage or would have had they considered it.

I agree, it should generally be considered a good thing that people can change.
Quote Reply
Re: Gays don't belong in (Ground) Combat Units [AlanShearer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AlanShearer wrote:

When someone is consistently on the wrong side of history, we should take that into consideration when they speak on a topic, don't you think?

"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
AlanShearer wrote:

When someone is consistently on the wrong side of history, we should take that into consideration when they speak on a topic, don't you think?

Seems just a wee bit melodramatic ...

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Gays don't belong in (Ground) Combat Units [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
klehner wrote:
AlanShearer wrote:

Winter is here.

"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I assume you are trying to make some parallel to the women in ground combat thread.

Has the military done any studies to see if gays impact performance of fighting units?
Quote Reply
Re: Gays don't belong in (Ground) Combat Units [efernand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
efernand wrote:
I assume you are trying to make some parallel to the women in ground combat thread.

Has the military done any studies to see if gays impact performance of fighting units?

He didn't ask. And even if he did, they wouldn't tell.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
JSA wrote:
klehner wrote:
AlanShearer wrote:

Winter is here.

And your hair has never been braided.

Quote Reply
Re: Gays don't belong in (Ground) Combat Units [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
efernand wrote:

He didn't ask. And even if he did, they wouldn't tell.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
AlanShearer wrote:

As I said, the fact that someone's thinking has evolved, with the person changing his or her opinion, is something that should be applauded. I'm not out to keep score.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
AlanShearer wrote:

Has gay marriage only ever had good effects ("right side of history") on the rest of the culture?

https://www.nationalreview.com/...er-maggie-gallagher/

Quote:
But the bottom line for Feldblum is: “Sexual liberty should win in most cases. There can be a conflict between religious liberty and sexual liberty, but in almost all cases the sexual liberty should win because that’s the only way that the dignity of gay people can be affirmed in any realistic manner.â€

Feldblum is thankfully out at EEOC, but there are many like her that believe that sexual liberty must be affirmed whenever it is opposed. And they are not shy.

◼︎ We shall soon be in a world in which a man may be howled down for saying that two and two make four, in which people will persecute the heresy of calling a triangle a three-sided figure, and hang a man for maddening a mob with the news that grass is green. - Chesterton
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
AlanShearer wrote:

I think that's a valid point.

One of my favourite quotes by Christopher Hitchens is this:
“Many religions now come before us with ingratiating smirks and outspread hands, like an unctuous merchant in a bazaar. They offer consolation and solidarity and uplift, competing as they do in a marketplace. But we have a right to remember how barbarically they behaved when they were strong and were making an offer that people could not refuse.â€
It is attitudes to change and human rights that are at issue, not religion, although religious fundamentalism is so often "on the wrong side of history".

In the (relatively) recent debates about marriage equality in my country a leading conservative/ religious politician attempted to make his opposition sound reasonable and mainstream. However, I'm old enough to remember decades back when he led the opposition to the decriminalisation of homosexuality; and I heard him cite Leviticus for his stance. He has never since disavowed that position. As best we know, were it up to him gays would still be subject to imprisonment, and possibly the death penalty. When assessing his arguments about marriage equality (or the right to sack gays, or expel them from religious schools, or any other rearguard action de jour) it is reasonable to understand the context of his complete agenda.

As for BK, he hasn't got the hang of the 21st century, but I doubt he's changed his mind about much; he just picks new fights as the world moves past him.
Quote Reply