Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Kickr chain line?
Quote | Reply
Good eve folks,

First my apologies if this has been asked before, I did a search and come up with nothing.

on my second kickr, I had the original back in 2015 but sold it in 2016. Bought the core a couple days ago to try again.

I cannot for the life of me get the bear drive train to be silent and it seems that the problem is the chainline. Background : I have 3 bikes all Dura Ace 9000 or 9100 and all Di2. I have multiple sets of wheels, I can throw any of these wheels on any of the bikes with no adjustments and perfect shifting and quiet drive train.

Two of my bikes have brand new cassette and chains so it is not a wear issue. I have the dura ace 9000 cassette installed on the kickr, without the spacer as all my groups are 11 speed.

My questions... Does anyone else have this issue, or is there something else I can try? My buddy says his neo is perfect and shifts perfectly maybe I should have got that. I’m open to suggestions here.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Kickr chain line? [titemple652] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Adjusting trim is dead simple with Di2. Watch this video. It's easy to adjust between your trainer and wheels.
Quote Reply
Re: Kickr chain line? [beston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah but I’m not doing this every time I want to switch bikes. I do some wrenching and know how to adjust Di2 quite well. Thanks for the suggestion though. Looking up close, in the 53/11 you can see the chain coming off the crankset to the small cog is at quite the angle and I have the derailleur adjusted to get it as smooth as possible but it sounds terrible. Seems like the kickr cassette is about .5mm too far outboard.

Anyone here have a perfectly quiet kickr? Are these adjustments required for the Neo every time we change bikes? My buddy says no.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is possible that the Kickr configuration would work better with a spacer between the crankset and the frame. But it is more likely that Kickr simply flexes the frame in a way that bends the chainstays - and the shifting goes with it. FWITW I had it happen with the original Kickr and the NP3.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a 2017 KICKR, and my drivetrain is quiet. I am running Ultegra 8050 Di2 and have an 105 cassette on the KICKR. I also use my road bike occasionally with eTap. I am not sure it is perfect, but it is good enough that I do not notice undue noise. I have no ideas for yours.
Last edited by: exxxviii: Jan 13, 19 18:20
Quote Reply
Re: Kickr chain line? [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
@Alex Great response and ideas. I especially notice this on the BMC team Machine SLR01 2016 generation which certainly can be stiffer. It was worse on the BMC, not too good on my madone 9.9 H1 and so so on my Sworks Tarmac SL6. I also need to get this to work with my wife’s shiv.
Last edited by: titemple652: Jan 13, 19 18:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Similar issues with my Kickr, I can adjust the shifting so it works, but doing so means I then need to adjust it again to ride the bike outside. Constantly adjusting the bike wasn't an option, too much hassle.

I've ended up solving/avoiding the problem by simply doing 100% of my indoor riding in erg mode and leaving it in a gear which runs smoothly. Which suits me as doing structured training was the main reason for buying the trainer anyway, and I use Trainerroad. Not such a good option if you want to do group rides and races on Zwift or similar platforms.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve got the same issue with mechanical 105, whilst I can trim it quiet it is a faf.

I’d expect that a shim would fix it, but i’ve not found anything.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had to put a tiny spacer on my Kickr to make it quiet, since then no problems. It was just enough off from the cassette spacing on my wheels that I couldn't quite adjust the derailleur enough to be quiet with the barrel adjuster.

I got the thin spacers from my local shop and they were nice enough to throw the spacer on for me and readjust the derailleur.
Quote Reply
Re: Kickr chain line? [dawnawanna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where did they put the spacer?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had a similar issue with my elite direto. and I'm annoying by the fact that there is no way to release all resistance on the trainer so I could easily adjust the indexing while spinning the pedals like I would if I had the bike on a repair stand
Quote Reply
Re: Kickr chain line? [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yes that sucks as well
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where did they put the spacer?

They just put the spacer on with the cassette, just like you would do if you were putting a 10 speed cassette on a 10/11 speed wheel. The only difference was that the spacer was thinner than a typical 10 speed spacer that comes with wheels.

Hopefully I've managed to attach a picture of the spacers I'm talking about... the actual one is really thin, I think 1.5 or 2 mm (it's been a while).

I will say that it took a little convincing, the first mechanic told me that I was just going to have to completely readjust the derailleur every time I took my bike off and on the kickr. He just wouldn't believe me that there's thin spacers out there to adjust cassette spacing (I had already found a set of cassette spacers online but didn't want to order them if I could just get them from the shop). Fortunately the head mechanic overheard the discussion and came over to tell the first guy that I was right and they have to add a cassette spacer occasionally to Kickrs to get it adjusted right.
Last edited by: dawnawanna: Jan 14, 19 13:32
Quote Reply
Re: Kickr chain line? [dawnawanna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have same issue with my Elite Direto, i have 2 bikes - road Kestrel Talon (shimano)105 Road and Trek Speed Concept (Ultegra R8000). Both my bikes are silent outdoor, but on my trainer i see than chain is not running smooth. So i need adjust read derailleurs every time i put bike on trainer after riding outdoor.
Last edited by: Ksavostin: Jan 14, 19 18:47
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a 2017 kickr and a 2017 venge disc pro with Ui2 (not sure on model) that I get crazy noise when riding in certain gears.

Largely, I’ve workout on in Erg mode with I think is a good option for a variety of reasons, but, we definitely shouldn’t be getting this noise issue and kickr should address it.

Has anyone found that running different cassettes 105-DA or whatever helps? At this point all I can think to try is adjusting the derrailur every time.
Quote Reply