Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Draft-legal triathlon bike fit vs road bike fit
Quote | Reply
Hello!

I wonder If draft-legal triathlon bike fit should differ from 'regular' road racing fit? Let's assume that I have my road bike fitted in a way that my position is aerodynamic and relatively comfortable - should I change anything for draft-legal triathlons (for the sake of better running)? Lets also assume that even marginal gains are significant for me ;).

Additional question: will draft-legal aerobars 'impose' any changes in the bike fit?
Quote Reply
Re: Draft-legal triathlon bike fit vs road bike fit [Weidenbaum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Probably not and probably not. If you are typically chasing on the bike, maybe you bump the saddle forward to emphasize the aero position a bit, but in general, a good racing road bike fit will serve you well in draft legal triathlon assuming you make the pack.
Quote Reply
Re: Draft-legal triathlon bike fit vs road bike fit [Weidenbaum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What Dave said is right on the money - the only time you'll want to tweak your position out of a good road fit is if you're swim is super extra special or horrendous. Either one of those scenarios might created a need to ride hard, steady and alone. If your swim is going to have you exiting the water with a group, even a small group, then ride your road bike like a roadie and either work with those folks or attack them to get up to a group with whom you'll want to work. Those actions require a road bike.

Ian

Ian Murray
http://www.TriathlonTrainingSeries.com
I like the pursuit of mastery
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You need to be comfortable riding in the drops that's going to be helpful for both accelerating and cornering. So if you are riding in drops on your regular fit now, then you'll be good. If you are only on the top of the hoods, you will need to work on that adjustment. That will be far more important for your ability to respond in the group and save the legs more.

DL tactics is all about handling surges/accelerations, that is the #1 thing that zaps run legs more than anything.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Weidenbaum wrote:
Additional question: will draft-legal aerobars 'impose' any changes in the bike fit?

Unless you are a pro, there’s no such thing as a “draft-legal aerobar.”

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply